SaperPL

Mini RC/Manual Euro Semi Truck with Free Instructions

I started playing around with the idea of European style semi truck again. I built a prototype to test the chassis design with motors side by side. The core idea here is that both motors are oriented towards back so you can put the medium Technic frame on top of them as well as have cables managed up front.

EDIT: final version of the semi:

Htka2kL.jpg

source.gif

source.gif

Instructions:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-90482 (RC Semi Tractor)

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-90484 (Box Trailer)

Update:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-152433 (Manual Semi Tractor)

The first iteration/prototype:

source.gif

source.gif

Prototype showcase:

It'll take some time before I'll finish the whole semi truck build, but I prepared the instructions for the chassis so you can build it. Instructions are available for free on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-86118

Sneak peek of the instructions:

FFZOslrm.png UAogdMrm.png dMCJth9m.png lI2Noyim.png

Edited by SaperPL

On 8/29/2021 at 6:08 PM, GerritvdG said:

Nice, thanks for sharing. Neat compact solution!

Thanks!

Meanwhile I managed to make instructions for PF/buwizz version of this chassis. I'm preparing this for my upcoming Semi model to be available for both PU and PF configurations.

I have not built this physically so proceed with caution, but I made it according to my knowledge. Inspect the instructions and make some prototype before making orders based on this.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-86691

z0INUarh.png

Aue2QFgh.png

4JAjqLbh.png

Sneak peek of the instructions:

RPCboJsm.png wNpUD8Tm.png PYkL7URm.png LM0nLysm.png

Edited by SaperPL

On 9/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, suffocation said:

Brilliant & inspiring work!

12 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Super compact. Almost could turn it into a stock class for rig and roll racing... seriously very cool and well planned out.

3 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Very compact and clean! Great work!

Thanks guys!

It would be awesome if others picked up this chassis for a build of his own semi (your own cab and trailer design).

Another tease, this time the back with some quickly made fifth wheel/trailer hitch:

3GIKJTPh.jpg

Would you be interested in a kit version of this from https://buildamoc.com/ (the instruction would still be available for free)?
If that's a yes, then would this be a semi only (you design your own trailer) or you'd rather have it with whole set for the trailer at similar level of quality?

I made the test to validate the PF version and option to go without the new two-piece differential

I missed this the first time around.  I love how compact and clean this build is.

Agreed, very elegant design!!

Also impressive is how systematic you are in buliding the whole truck in stages. 

Very good work, I love how all the electronics is incorporated into such a small body, especially that you were able to do the same both with PU and PF and even the old differential. And the bodywork and interior is very clean but detailed. The only thing I am a bit worried about is all those cables tucked in breaking..

8 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

The only thing I am a bit worried about is all those cables tucked in breaking..

Fair point, but they are not exactly crushed there, it just looks like it on the video because they spring back when I'm pushing them inside because the gap is 1 stud wide. There is whole 2 x 7 x 1 gap for these cables and if you want to be safe, you could roll/spool the cables before tucking them in. I haven't really had issues with connectivity even after doing more drastic squeezes.

Great choice of scale, good amount of functionality and detail without being un-necessarily big or heavy.

And despite requiring a lot of effort to design, build and make instructions for, kudos for releasing them for free. There are some on Rebrickble who think their highly repetitive MOCs are good enough to be considered "Premium" just because their artificially-boosted view counts consistently puts them on the 1st page of "Hottest MOCs".

I will definitely be building this once I accumulate sufficient matching panels.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Ullum Zurt said:

Great choice of scale, good amount of functionality and detail without being un-necessarily big or heavy.

Thanks! That is exactly the point of the most of my builds - to make a builds that are accessible without a huge amount of bricks, this way even if you're missing some of them, you can figure out on your own how to replace some details with what you have. Once we get into significantly bigger models, building with just stuff that you have gets really hard with replacing missing elements.

6 hours ago, Ullum Zurt said:

And despite requiring a lot of effort to design, build and make instructions for, kudos for releasing them for free. There are some on Rebrickble who think their highly repetitive MOCs are good enough to be considered "Premium" just because their artificially-boosted view counts consistently puts them on the 1st page of "Hottest MOCs".

Well, for one, I like the idea that once I build something and want to take it apart, it's not all lost, so I have instructions for it. Also like playing around in studio and the only chore is the final part of making views on instructions pages, and arrows and stuff, but once I'm past building model and preparing steps, there are scraps of motivation to finish it. The hardest part for me though is making a video that shows off those little builds, because it's more for me about figuring out stuff, designing model and building it, rather than playing around and making an action movie with it, so this is my annoyance in the process, but again, it's something that leaves a mark for how a build looked and worked.

As for selling instructions and paid promotion through designer plan etc - I feel like rebrickable doesn't care much about the free instructions, apart from bringing people to the platform, because the premium instructions are the ones that generate their income. At the beginning of this year I tried subscribing to premium designer plan to see if you can promote free instructions, but you can't, it's only available for premium ones. Also the mess with people dropping instructions that are like just a studio model upload or 200 pages with single step on each page that weights 100 mb for something that could fit on 30 pages, is something that seems like it works in favour of people deciding to pay for premium instructions from reliable designers. It's about money, so I guess you can't do much about it...

Finally as for the builds I make, I don't expect a lot of people would build them, and since there wouldn't be much interest in buying instructions for these to build them, I don't want to block the access to instruction for people who just want to take a peek and learn something, like how was a part of it made.

5 hours ago, Jundis said:

Really clean and compact build!

Rear double tires wouldn't fit, as it seems?

Thanks! And no, that's why there are thicker wheels on rear axle to represent double wheels - there's barely space for 3 stud wide wheels (note that they are sticking out) and thus double 2 stud wides like upfront wouldn't fit.

Edited by SaperPL

5 hours ago, SaperPL said:

There is whole 2 x 7 x 1 gap for these cables

Yeah, that's more than I thought based on the video, should be okay then, and I guess these cables are designed to take some abuse by kids anyway..

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

Well, for one, I like the idea that once I build something and want to take it apart, it's not all lost, so I have instructions for it. Also like playing around in studio and the only chore is the final part of making views on instructions pages, and arrows and stuff, but once I'm past building model and preparing steps, there are scraps of motivation to finish it. The hardest part for me though is making a video that shows off those little builds, because it's more for me about figuring out stuff, designing model and building it, rather than playing around and making an action movie with it, so this is my annoyance in the process, but again, it's something that leaves a mark for how a build looked and worked.

I can pretty much agree with all of this :) Though sometimes I do enjoy playing around a bit with offroaders, to test how much they're capable of, while making the presentation video.

Just built this truck and it's really nice! The functions are smoothly working and there is a lot of space to play around with different solutions. In this case I added some minor changes and redesigned the front of the cabin. I also added working front lights, which is a pretty nice addition in my opinion. Thanks for sharing this awesome model! 

Here are some photos:

51615814956_fd30b8206e_c.jpg

51616036983_ea59a0a371_c.jpg

51616682595_6b0b8aca4a_c.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 12:53 AM, Danifill said:

Just built this truck and it's really nice! The functions are smoothly working and there is a lot of space to play around with different solutions. In this case I added some minor changes and redesigned the front of the cabin. I also added working front lights, which is a pretty nice addition in my opinion. Thanks for sharing this awesome model! 

Awesome alt build, thanks!

A showcase for powered trailer connection:

Edited by SaperPL

oh that's nice! when I rebuild it I will have to try adding an extra axle