On 8/28/2021 at 7:03 PM, Maaboo35 said:

Nope, knob wheels are usually the most aggravating detail on any Technic set, period.

4203493.jpg

I'm surprised many people mentioned this part. It's useful, when you need to lay the high torque under 90 degree for example. Regular gears may crack/broke.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Can I borrow your time machine?

Where am I wrong? How many tyres do we have for 62 wheel disc for instance?

3 minutes ago, Aleh said:

I'm surprised many people mentioned this part. It's useful, when you need to lay the high torque under 90 degree for example. Regular gears may crack/broke.

Where am I wrong? How many tyres do we have for 62 wheel disc for instance?

Knob wheels only really work with pivoting mechanisms like the harvesting head in 42080. They have too much friction for continuous mechanisms and gear trains, on the other hand. Oh, and don't quote images.

The variety of tyres has never been better, I'll say that much for Technic. Yeah, maybe the truck wheel hubs could do with a chevron tread option, but there is still a good variety going.

Edited by Maaboo35

Knob wheels are very useful parts. For high torque situations indeed, but also for variable angle situations, and for angles not a multiple of 90 degrees, or for situations where the gear can be disengaged and re-engaged without slipping (for example a HOG axle through a cabin that can be tilted). And for making sure axles are aligned. Some stepper mechanisms use them, such as the Bugatti gearbox.

Sure, they have disadvantages, like any part, but they have a pretty unique set of applications.

____

As for tyres, I'm glad that the variety seems to be increasing right now, but my most infuriating detail is how many of them are way too wide. They eat up a large portion of the available width for vehicles. That's what made the 64x20 wheels so great - they have a sort-of decent width. The 49x20 tyres were welcome, but were way too wide so I'm really happy a thinner version finally comes out.

The Porsche wheels are also still wayy too wide, but at least the rims had internal space to bring the steering pivot close to the wheel, so wheel arches can have a normal size. Maybe that's the upside of all those licences: the licenced brands require more realistic proportions, so hopefully this brings about other requirements to pars, such as that the wheel arches are not too large, whichhopefully brings Lego to change the design of rims and suspension parts.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I agree, don't hate on the knob gear.

It may not be the most universal piece, but in the correct application it can be very useful!

Edited by Gray Gear

4 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Oh, and don't quote images.

Are you really suffering from that small image? Sorry for making your device being overloaded.

Another point is the L-panels, which don't suit 3*5 L-shape beam.

5 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Are you really suffering from that small image? Sorry for making your device being overloaded.

It's forum policy to not quote images. It keeps the thread nice and tidy.

One instance where knob wheels really grate on me is when they're used in steering. 42035 is one particular example - they jam and grind on each other.

Edited by Maaboo35

Ratch system is useless and used to much.

Virtual transmission is megablocks and terribly slow.

Color good. contaning all gear good. include basic PF RC componant is also good. But to much expensive.

Designer need to flip front turntable.

Include only 2 gear which can't mash.

Printed front fender.

8110, 9398, 42054

Partical change B model is suck.

Not olive green.

57 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I have actually been annoyed about a similar thing: if you want to create two "arms" connected directly by two meshed gears, they will never be at the same angle in relative to the centerline. Though I'm not sure if it's even possible to do with only a single kind of gear.

If I understud you well, you can do it with the old 4143 gears... I think only with these ones... and they are not that easy to use... 

1 hour ago, SirSpoony said:

any set that started with '42'

Is this a comment on the lineup or just the use of the number code?

8 hours ago, vascolp said:

If I understud you well, you can do it with the old 4143 gears... I think only with these ones... and they are not that easy to use... 

Those can't be used like spur gears, so no. But I guess if there was a 14 tooth spur gear, it could be used, but as long as we only have gears that have teeth numbers in multiples of 4, it won't be possible.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

Those can't be used like spur gears, so no. But I guess if there was a 14 tooth spur gear, it could be used, but as long as we only have gears that have teeth numbers in multiples of 4, it won't be possible.

You are right... and that's an annoyance... so inline with the spirit of this thread! :classic:

16 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Is this a comment on the lineup or just the use of the number code?

Looks like he disliked any set newer than 2012 by default.

9 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Looks like he disliked any set newer than 2012 by default.

Laughs in 42043

8 hours ago, howitzer said:

To an extent they can be used as spur gears. I semi-regularly mesh two of them with a 20T double-bevel gear in the spur configuration, though meshing them together would be hard. And weak.

51 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

To an extent they can be used as spur gears. I semi-regularly mesh two of them with a 20T double-bevel gear in the spur configuration, though meshing them together would be hard. And weak.

Yeah, well, that's using the already weakest gear type in a way it was not intended to be used, making it even weaker. So that's not really an option, I'd much rather have a proper spur gear which allowed this kind of meshing.

The lack of turnable in 42078 : could have been used for fifth wheel or as a replacement for supporting the container and would have made some of the best alternate models (like the volvo crane truck or the mobile crane) even better.