Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

[OL - FB] Nouveau Oleandia Dock and Lighthouse

no_docks_001.png

no_docks_002.png

As Nouveau Oleandia continues to grow, lighthouses, docks, and warehouses need to be built at the shore to ensure the growth of the town. Otherwise, ships carrying valuable cargo could be lost, and when they do reach port, there would be no places to unload goods.

no_docks_003.png

Here, in Nouveau Oleandia, safety is important. Well, usually. Those crocodile rides aren't the safest. Anyway, it's important to mark water levels, so when high tide comes and perilous storms thunder through, people can know how deep the water is. There's also on the left part of a warehouse.

no_docks_004.png

no_docks_005.png

Of course, as sailors arrive, so do other people. Some are bars where sailors can get drunk, and others are houses of ill reputes, acting as a siren's song for famished travelers who might still have work to do, like helping unload the ship's cargo.

no_docks_006.png

no_docks_007.png

no_docks_008.png

But without a lighthouse, the dock and the buildings would be for nought. Good thing one was built to help ships be guided into port.

I like the construction of the lighthouse and the jetty.

Beautiful and serene scenery (despite "our boys", the soldiers having guns and all) :pir-tongue:

Only minor thing I find distracting is the plain facades of the buildings (albeit for using different roof techniques) as I would prefer them to have at least a rudimentary 4-studs-length wall on their sides. Nothing fancy, just bricks.

Still, the focus of the build is the lighthouse and in that respect, I absolutely love it! Points for having a hatch too - not many brick-built lighthouse encompass one!

Lovely lighthouse and great addition to Nouveau Oleandia. I have to echo blackdeathgr, though: a bit more depth to the houses would've been nice. They look kind of flat now. The jetty on the other hand looks really characterful. Fun addition to the scene.

19 hours ago, NOD said:

I like the construction of the lighthouse and the jetty.

17 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Beautiful and serene scenery (despite "our boys", the soldiers having guns and all) :pir-tongue:

Only minor thing I find distracting is the plain facades of the buildings (albeit for using different roof techniques) as I would prefer them to have at least a rudimentary 4-studs-length wall on their sides. Nothing fancy, just bricks.

Still, the focus of the build is the lighthouse and in that respect, I absolutely love it! Points for having a hatch too - not many brick-built lighthouse encompass one!

7 hours ago, Khorne said:

Lovely lighthouse and great addition to Nouveau Oleandia. I have to echo blackdeathgr, though: a bit more depth to the houses would've been nice. They look kind of flat now. The jetty on the other hand looks really characterful. Fun addition to the scene.

I'm glad everyone likes the jetty! Thanks all.

As for the criticism, totally valid. I definitely put less thought into it, and didn't wan to have just a street with nothing behind it. I was considering for the warehouse making it textured to look like wood paneling, but I found the green looking ugly in that way, and I didn't want to bring a dull color into it, since the dark blue water, the docks, etc. already suck up a lot of light. I'll certainly give some depth on the next build.

This build is a pleasure to look at. Though the lack of depth on the houses is perhaps a little distracting, making them seem a bit like old movie props, it is overshadowed by the sheer amount of detail. The lighthouse, dock and the varied roof techniques are truly inspired. 

On 8/25/2021 at 12:03 AM, Ross Fisher said:

A really nice little build. Exactly what I imagibe all of our little colonial settlements actually look like. 

Thanks! I'm wanting to (if I can) to show a growth in style (while still keeping the settlements design style) of going from early colony to late one as time goes on, if possible.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:29 AM, Alix said:

This build is a pleasure to look at. Though the lack of depth on the houses is perhaps a little distracting, making them seem a bit like old movie props, it is overshadowed by the sheer amount of detail. The lighthouse, dock and the varied roof techniques are truly inspired. 

Thank you! As I mentioned, the buildings were kind of an afterthought, so Ill make sure to do better next time.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fine lighthouse!

I like that railing approach.

Thanks! I hated how square they looked otherwise,as I didn't think it would fit the build.