Jim

[TC20] Technic Studless Recreation Contest - Results Topic

@msk6003 all I was trying to say is that arguing that someone is not going to win because the shipping cost to his country would be too high is just plain stupid.

Of course some Eurobricks users might be voting for people they like on Eurobricks, but that's unavoidable I think.

Some of these comments about the competition being a popularity contest don't come over at all well. I think directing reflective criticism at one's own builds is much more productive than trying to find fault in other's.

Then there is cause and effect. A member may be popular because they produce high quality builds; ergo their build is going to be popular due to the inherent quality.

I also don't think you can ever assume a correlation between a post's view count and quality.

Thank you all for the votes cast for my model and congratulations to the winners. Good job

14 minutes ago, Brickend said:

I also don't think you can ever assume a correlation between a post's view count and quality.

Well said.   There are just so many opinions, likes, tastes, etc. out there.   I agree wholeheartedly.  

I already said my piece about the contest.  I'm not sure I was ever really into this one at all.  

That being said its not about me or my opinion and although this contest was not to my liking I can certainly appreciate the time, effort, and even $$ (Jim) that went into it.  Thanks alot @Jimand @milan for running this contest and all you do on this site.   Great contest overall and it helps boost involvement, activity and overall fun! Your work is recognized and appreciated!

Also, just something for folks to think about.  Many of our newer members may have not been around long enough to see, or even be a part of dying Lego-sharing sites (*cough* mocpages *cough*).  Well I have.  These sites take time, effort, resources.... they don't just run themselves.  And if there aren't those willing to sacrifice their time, etc. then the sites just die.  

Sharing opinions, critiquing other's work, etc. are all well and good.... no one is disputing that.  But tact is important to remember.  One may not want to come and just vomit criticism (not pointing a finger at anyone or any one comment) all over the place without thinking about presentation.  Biting the hand that feeds you is not the way to go lest that hand stops its feeding.  Mocpages is a good reminder of that....

@nerdsforprez Well spoken! Thank you :innocent2:

(of course, that doesn't mean members can't criticize and discuss)

I like comments in my WIP threads, I sometimes take some suggestions on as I did on the Tipper but sometimes I don’t as it’s not along the lines I’m thinking. And sometimes a suggestion actually takes my thought process down a new route completely 

3 hours ago, Brickend said:

Agreed. Personally, I just checked each time there was a new post, which naturally have frequently-updated posts an "advantage"

18 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

@dickylaban what are you talking about? @Milan already said that he is paying for the shipping costs himself, TLG has no influence on the winners of this contest *huh*

What I am talking about is my experience when I join a TLG contest, no relation with this contest.
Please read my sentence carefully, read it with your eyes & a clear mind.
(It looks like you only have a bad opinion of what I am talking about since I am only a Vassals) :D
It was pity that a COUNT like you underestimate a VASSALs like me, I think your Technic world is only in this forum.(please visit other social media to find out)

5 hours ago, dickylaban said:

What I am talking about is my experience when I join a TLG contest, no relation with this contest.
Please read my sentence carefully, read it with your eyes & a clear mind.
(It looks like you only have a bad opinion of what I am talking about since I am only a Vassals) :D
It was pity that a COUNT like you underestimate a VASSALs like me, I think your Technic world is only in this forum.(please visit other social media to find out)

Given that english is not your first language nor is it for a number of members on here sometimes what your trying to say and what really comes across is two different things. 

Personally I think you have issues. And maybe need to either take a step back and realize the world is not fair. Also actually saying nothing is better than putting your foot in and muddying waters.

Now. I'm not one to comment a lot more of a lurker however the people's choices and top ten was interesting and I'm quietly pleased @MangaNOID spaceman figure was recognized. As for the jury top three yes I would have chosen those ones.

Maybe popularity played a part. Certainly nostalgia. Next contest read the rules use your head and see what appeals to the masses.  There was nothing wrong with your entry. I have already built it in Ldd and added to my files. 

Kind regards matt 

1 minute ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Personally I think you have issues. And maybe need to either take a step back and realize the world is not fair. Also actually saying nothing is better than putting your foot in and muddying waters.

Let's be careful not to go down this route.

6 hours ago, dickylaban said:

And the same goes for you.

Otherwise I need to lock this topic and that should not be necessary. At the end of the day, this contest was a blast with three well deserved winners. 

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

Otherwise I need to lock this topic and that should not be necessary. At the end of the day, this contest was a blast with three well deserved winners. 

Your awake early @Jim I will mind my manners. once again congratulations to the winners.

1 hour ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Your awake early @Jim I will mind my manners. once again congratulations to the winners.

Jim never sleeps. (He only sleeps when the voting ends in a contenst and forgets to close the voting topic for days :wink:)

@dickylaban when it comes to popular vote here the only thing that you could really pick on is that the votes were public across the whole voting period, but I'm not sure if that really affected the voting here. There were so many great entries and quite a lot perfectly executed ones as well, that it did boil down to which ones people liked the most. And yes - people will vote for bigger models with more functions, but it's not like we were forced to make smaller ones - the only thing here that we can do is to ask either for future contests to have strict size requirements or separate size classes, but that's a separate discussion. Considering your submission, if people really took the vibe of original set vs the recreation consciously, yours is slightly more opaque and feels heavier so it feels a bit like a generic formula race car and the idea was for the recreated model to be instantly recognisable - you simply might've picked something that's hard to remake to be true to original without going 1:1 replacing beams with liftarms etc - @Samolot's truck was on the other hand instantly recognisable albeit filling in some gaps with panels because it has a unique cab shape in the original set. 

On 8/25/2021 at 8:42 AM, msk6003 said:

If the theme of this contest was a classic remake, I would have chosen 8232 or 8459. And I originally think 8479 before I heard no electronic.

@msk6003 the contest was about classic remake, no doubt about it. Also your remake had a messy shapes all over apart from using a lot of system bricks on the front which was explicitly stated in the rules not to do. You picked wrong set to remake because it wasn't classic and it was really hard to do the shape with Technic pieces while retaining the original functionality. Winners picked sets that had lower amount of/less complicated functions and executed the remakes perfectly by the rules which should come first over scoring bonus points for creativity/complexity/amount of mechanical features.

6 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

@msk6003 the contest was about classic remake, no doubt about it. Also your remake had a messy shapes all over apart from using a lot of system bricks on the front which was explicitly stated in the rules not to do. You picked wrong set to remake because it wasn't classic and it was really hard to do the shape with Technic pieces while retaining the original functionality. Winners picked sets that had lower amount of/less complicated functions and executed the remakes perfectly by the rules which should come first over scoring bonus points for creativity/complexity/amount of mechanical features.

This point is actually very important, but also somewhat tricky. In this and in other contests, there have been models which clearly are aiming really high in complexity/functionality, and obviously show a lot of effort in the making of it, but still seem to fall short in answering the expectations. On the other end there are small, simple sets that are excellently executed and by all accounts perfect, except that they are still small and simple, and thus not very challenging to create. Between them are models that aim high enough that there must be a lot of effort and thought put into the design, but not so high as to be impossible to execute well. For me it seems that it's these in-between models that tend to be the most successful in contests.

After all is said and done, I feel that my own entry was a bit on the simple side, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out and how well liked it was. I also enjoyed making it, and it still wasn't too simple as to pose no challenge at all.

5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

After all is said and done, I feel that my own entry was a bit on the simple side, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out and how well liked it was. I also enjoyed making it, and it still wasn't too simple as to pose no challenge at all.

Smaller doesn't always mean simpler. Recreating something with different medium perfectly at limited size is really challenging and with bigger models you often have a lot of "legroom" to spare and try remodel specific parts of it. In smaller model changing one piece that is crucial for the look may often end up with whole structural remake of the mechanism inside. My model was indeed really simple as the vibe of the original set was that it was a simple entry set for Technic set, but shaping the hovercraft's skirt wasn't something that obvious it'll work out that good and often tricks like you did with those panels are defining factors for whole small builds like this while in bigger models such tricks are just smaller accents/details unless reused in multiple places.

If there was a small model size class then, by just roughly skimming the amount of votes not point, the indy transport could be first, your hovercraft would be second and the red forklift or blue fury would be third if I'm not mistaken.

2 hours ago, Lipko said:

Jim never sleeps. (He only sleeps when the voting ends in a contenst and forgets to close the voting topic for days :wink:)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jim has software to capture the votes so he transfers the (prelim) results to another topic. But I will pay more attention next time to avoid possible confusion. Thanks.

@SaperPL

On 5/20/2021 at 11:35 PM, Jim said:

Rebuild a studded LEGO set (any theme) into a studless Technic version.

Definitely not classic remake

Edited by msk6003

39 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

@SaperPL

Definitely not classic remake

TECHNIC STUDLESS RECREATION CONTEST - INFORMATION TOPIC
This contest is all about recreating a classic studded set, using contemporary studless LEGO Technic. The main voting criteria is whether you have replicated the sets as close as possible!

The description states that this contest is all about recreating a classic studded set. I know it is omitted in the next line, but it is written in the first sentence of the contest.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:01 PM, Jim said:

I have been thinking about this. Instead of remaking an old studded Technic model, simply remake ANY studded LEGO set. Would be cool to have contestants display the old and new model together, but I am not sure that should be a requirement.

If we go for a no-wheel contest, it will be a no-vehicle contest, so no helicopters, boats, etc either.

@Jim

I know this comment is very early in discussion topic(1 month before contest start) but you said ANY studded lego set. Definitely not classic remake.

Edited by msk6003

43 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

@Jim

I know this comment is very early in discussion topic(1 month before contest start) but you said ANY studded lego set. Definitely not classic remake.

Let me be very clear on that; what I say in the discussion topic is thinking out loud and cannot be used as a fact. The introduction topic is the (single) source of truth. If there are any questions. these can be asked in that topic. Usually I update the first post with the latest information.

I am sorry for the confusion and I will try to avoid this confusion next time.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

I am sorry for this.
I never attack people without good reason to do it.
I also never say things that people didn't appreciate..