Jim

[TC20] Technic Studless Recreation Contest - Results Topic

TECHNIC STUDLESS RECREATION CONTEST - RESULTS TOPIC

This contest is all about recreating a classic studded set, using contemporary studless LEGO Technic. The main voting criteria is whether you have replicated the sets as close as possible!

Voting criteria

• True to the original
  • Quality of the build.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme, etc).
  • Functionality.
  • Originality.

The funny thing about the jury voting is that Milan and I both had the same entries in the top-3 and the same runner up 4th place. So there was little debate about the outcome.

WINNERS

technic_gold.png
LEGO 8854 Update by Thirdwigg
This model ticks all the boxes. It is spot on and it is exactly what we were looking for in this contest; true to the original, quality of the build, looks, functionality, originality! The slightly more complicated build is probably the reason it scored more than double the points of Seasider's creation. The total package is the main reason we declared this model the winner.

51352322872_3a21502b06_b.jpg

technic_silver.png 
Tipper Truck Redux by Seasider
I am so glad that this model got enough points to continue to jury voting, because this was a potential winner. This model could have been the promotional image of this contest. It looks almost identical. Functions are identical. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple design and simple build. And I mean simple in a good way. I love simplicity. The only reason this model didn't win, was because Thirdwigg's creation ticked all the boxes as well, but the quality of the build was slighty better. This model would make a perfect beginner set though.

51322827682_40ff6d90fa_b.jpg

technic_bronze.png

Forklift Transporter by RiGi
This model has everything a winner should have: fits to the rules, quality, looks etc. Milan and myself both had this model in the top-3 and that's not because we both like low-loaders and heavy machinery. It's an awesome build and great interpretation of this contest. The reason this model didn't win, wasn't because it's not good enough, it's because the others were slightly better.

RiGi_TC20_01_Small.png

RUNNER UP (ACTUALLY 4TH PLACE)

Pneumatic Front-End Loader by Brickend
I have been looking at this model for quite some time and it is a great entry. One of the reasons this set didn't end up in my the top-3 is that the original set already feels kinda studless. I know this is hardly a valid reason to not choose this set, but we both had this model as the runner up 4th place, so we decided to keep it that way. It was close though.

IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER

Technic Space Megafig and buggy by MangaNOID
Fantastic build. Very original and very cool. Truly amazing creation. However, this isn't exactly a recreation of a classic set. This is more like an artistic interpretation of a classic set. And the emphasis is on the minifig, which has little to do with the idea behind the contest. For me, this is prime example of what happens if you have 100% public voting. People simply vote for the coolest entry. And this is by far the coolest entry. But not the winner in our book.

8462 Futuristic Tow Truck - Reincarnation by Samolot
Very nice build and I like that someone chose this set. However, using the panels wasn't the best choice if you ask me. No panels in the original, so I would have recreated this set without them. Using some panels is obviously okay, but this recreation should have used less panels. Less is more.

2020's 8880 supercar by sebulba56
This is without a doubt an awesome creation. Very well built. However, like the Futuristic Tow Truck this model includes a lot of panels, while the original set is known for its liftarm-design. I would have prefered to see a model without panels on the sides and the hood.

Indy transport - set 6335 by mpj
This is easily the best recreation of a classis system set. It's hard to recreate a system set and stay close to the original. But mpj proved it can be done. Scale is almost the same, while using Technic parts. Very well done!

LEGO 6352 Recreation by Jundis
This is a very nice creation. Not too fond of the visible gears, but overall this model looks great. The increased scale was preventing it from ending up higher in the ranking.

Robot-Guardian by Akassin
This is a though one. It's though because it's so awesome. The coolest thing about this model is that the two pictures (of the new and orignal set) almost look identical. This indicates that it stayed close to the original. For us it wasn't good enough to beat the top-3, but it definitely scored high in the originality department.

PUBLIC VOTING RESULTS

Karmi's and Sams' votes weren't included in the results, since both of them had less than 50 posts. I have calculated the results without the treshold and it would not have mattered for the top-10.

1. Technic Space Megafig and buggy by MangaNOID - 137 Points (25 votes, entry 22)
2. 8462 Futuristic Tow Truck - Reincarnation by Samolot - 137 Points (25 votes, entry 17)
3. LEGO 8854 Update by Thirdwigg - 123 Points (29 votes, entry 27)
4. Forklift Transporter by RiGi - 100 Points (24 votes, entry 11)
5. 2020's 8880 supercar by sebulba56 - 83 Points (14 votes, entry 18)
6. Indy transport - set 6335 by mpj - 81 Points (17 votes, entry 23)
7. LEGO 6352 Recreation by Jundis - 78 Points (15 votes, entry 33)
8. Pneumatic Front-End Loader by Brickend - 59 Points (13 votes, entry 37)
9. Robot-Guardian by Akassin - 58 Points (10 votes, entry 20)
10. Tipper Truck Redux by Seasider - 55 Points (12 votes, entry 8)
11. 5541 (10151) Blue Fury remaster by osterum - 42 Points (9 votes, entry 4)
12. 8460/8431/8438-B Truck with Knuckleboom Crane - Studless by Wiseman_2 - 42 Points (13 votes, entry 19)
13. 8824 Hovercraft studless remake by howitzer - 40 Points (14 votes, entry 16)
14. Backhoe grader by MP LEGO Technic creations - 37 Points (8 votes, entry 5)
15. Volkswagen T1 Camper Van (10220) by RuTechBrothers - 36 Points (9 votes, entry 38)
16. Last lap Go-Kart number 6 by Dazzzy - 36 Points (8 votes, entry 44)
17. Studless DB5 remake by msk6003 - 33 Points (7 votes, entry 30)
18. 8660 - Arctic Rescue Unit 2021 - Studless by Kio Liex - 33 Points (6 votes, entry 35)
19. Red Forklift - 8835 studless by GerritvdG - 32 Points (8 votes, entry 1)
20. Lego 8440 Formula Flash by Jurss - 27 Points (8 votes, entry 3)
21. Whirlwind Rescue by 2GodBDGlory - 26 Points (6 votes, entry 13)
22. 8286 Next iteration by HorcikDesigns - 23 Points (8 votes, entry 25)
23. 8446 Monster Crane by Erik Leppen - 18 Points (6 votes, entry 36)
24. 8277 Giant Model Kit: Robot by brolansys BLS 21 - 16 Points (2 votes, entry 40)
25. Prop Plane by deehtha - 13 Points (3 votes, entry 21)
26. 856 revival by Toitoine - 12 Points (3 votes, entry 29)
27. 858 Blue Boxer by Saberwing40k - 11 Points (3 votes, entry 43)
28. 5550 Custom Rally Van remake by Agent 00381 - 11 Points (3 votes, entry 26)
29. 8408 Desert Ranger Revamp by Leonardo da Bricki - 10 Points (4 votes, entry 47)
30. Oldtimer Crane by anyUser - 8 Points (4 votes, entry 42)
31. Pneumatic Excavator by Burko-uk - 8 Points (4 votes, entry 10)
32. 8880 Supercar studless by RazzPinazzo - 7 Points (2 votes, entry 24)
33. Indy Storm (8445) by dickylaban - 6 Points (3 votes, entry 34)
34. 851's big brother by BrickBuildingFox - 6 Points (5 votes, entry 14)
35. 8816 ATV Off Road Racer Remake by SaperPL - 4 Points (2 votes, entry 6)
36. 8859 Remake - Tractor Studless by Touc4nx - 4 Points (2 votes, entry 12)
37. Technic ATV by lmdesigner42 - 2 Points (1 votes, entry 41)
38. 6-Wheeler Moon Buggy by gyenesvi - 2 Points (1 votes, entry 9)
39. 6357 - Stunt Copter 'n' Truck by CharlieBravo - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 39)
40. Tow Truck by Cardboy - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 7)
41. Super Car - 8880 studless by Shumo Lego (disqualified, sorry) - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 15)
42. 8858 Rebel Rocker! by Ivorrr - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 32)
43. 8660 Arctic Rescue Redux by MisteryMan - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 31)
44. Lego 8207 Dune Duster - remake by filsawgood - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 2)
45. 8448 ReStreet Sensation by weavil - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 45)
46. 8832 Roadster by ralphie - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 28)
47. 8837 Pneumatic Excavator (Studless) by khchai - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 46)

Congrats to the winners! What an awesome contest!

---

13. 8824 Hovercraft studless remake by howitzer - 40 Points (14 votes, entry 16)

It appears that I scored pretty well too, thanks to everyone who voted my entry!

Congrats everyone, especially the winners. It was fun seeing all those great entries progressing.

Thanks for organising everything @Jim and @Milan.

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

It appears that I scored pretty well too, thanks to everyone who voted my entry!

You just won the Technic tag. How about you upload a profile pic :wink: 

Congrats to everyone, this has been a very interesting contest. As I've already said, choosing the entries was really hard, this shows IMO the level of the presented MOCs.
Even if I haven't scored a lot of points, I'm satisfied with my MOC.
Moreover, this contest makes me want to do more studies remake :sweet: (I might do a modern interpretation of the space shuttle one day)

Congratulations to the winners, especially to @Thirdwigg - you truly are a MOG King! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I admit I didn't follow the voting criteria as much as I should and got carried away by the coolness and awesomeness of the entries, but thank you @Jim and @Milan for taking the time to explain your criteria for each finalist - looking a bit more through your perspective, I couldn't agree more. Well done everybody for a wonderful contest that gave so many good recreations of the many sets we craved for as kids.

Best regards,

Miha

Good job guys! Contests are always fun, and I achieved my goal of moving up from smack-in-the-middle in TC19, so I'm happy with the results.

49 minutes ago, Jim said:

You just won the Technic tag. How about you upload a profile pic :wink: 

I guess I'll have to, at some point. But I'm still unsure what to put there so I guess I'll have to make an effort to think of something...

33 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

Moreover, this contest makes me want to do more studies remake :sweet: (I might do a modern interpretation of the space shuttle one day)

Exactly my thoughts. But I already have so many WIP projects...

Talk about a roller coaster ride for a TC contest! 

well done everyone, even though I didn’t give any points to the winners, I agree that they should be where they are. These builds are fantastic! One cannot say enough about how good some builders are on this forum that make it such a great place to visit with a cup of tea :thumbup:

On 8/23/2021 at 1:54 AM, Jim said:

And the emphasis is on the minifig, which has little to do with the idea behind the contest

I get that. It is good to have different interpretations that are still following the rules though :tongue:

I am very chuffed by all the votes! I do not think my entry was worthy of so many votes but thank you to all, it made my day!

for anyone interested there were two voters that were under 50 posts (long term forum members though) and if you take those votes off then @Samolot would have been the vote winner.

Many Thanks to @Jim and @Milan for their time and effort put forward for us to have these contests :thumbup:

Maybe  see you next TC...

Congrats, everybody - so many great entries! I guess it’s good there was a jury voting round, because even though I recognize Samolot’s 8462 redux is probably less “true to the original” than the winners, it was too darn cool not to vote for it.

Even though some entries got penalized in this way, I think it would have been a shame if the entries in question hadn’t turned out the way they did. Both inside and outside the scope of this contest, there are some great accomplishments here!

29 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

for anyone interested there were two voters that were under 50 posts (long term forum members though) and if you take those votes off then @Samolot would have been the vote winner.

Actually, if I'm not wrong, both you and @Samolot share the position as public vote winners, both of you with 137 points when votes from the two members with less than 50 posts are taken off.

Thanks for all of the effort that went into this! I'm extremely proud to be a runner up and totally agree with the scoring; as Jim knows, I had my own queries over whether the original front end loader was already a bit too studless, so I'm glad that the more studded sets won through!

Edited by Brickend

Thanks to @Jim and @Milan and those who voted me into the top 10. This has been such a great competition and I loved every minute of my build and also seeing lots of models from my Dark Ages and interesting modern interpretations of them. Congrats to @Thirdwigg on winning. It was great to see some Classic / Vintage Technic winning.

let’s hope Jim and Milan can come up with more competitions like this to get such a fantastic response in entries.

well done all

Edited by Seasider

Thank you so much to everyone that voted for my entry, and thank you @Jim & @Milan for putting me in your top 3 and for organising the contest.  I'm genuinely blown away to have come ahead of so many other fantastic entries :blush: The quality of all the entries was immense!

Congrats to @Thirdwigg & @Seasider on winning Gold and Silver, it's lovely to see some proper old-school sets come out on top! :classic:

I have to say that I am disappointed by how @Samolot's submission was ruled out from the podium. If it was about the use of non-contemporary pieces at all, then I would agree with it (albeit I caught late that Thirdwigg used the crane hook as well), but the rule of "staying true to original" wasn't clearly explained that you shouldn't use modern approach to building against classic sets that had just outline built with Technic beams.  Staying true to original could mean keeping the shape and vibe of the model, not necessarily the technique that was used to achieve same overall shape of the model.

This exact set that @Samolot picked wasn't like the supercar set where it was full see through all over the place as it has pretty bulky and opaque inside structure, so it was like middle ground here when it comes to the vibe this set had. And his entry model also has some gaps similar to the original around the cabin.

What blows my mind here is that @Brickend's entry was put out of the podium because "it feels like the set was kinda studless already" where you could've been consistent and could state the same as for @Samolot's entry, but you didn't, maybe because it'd be too picky here? Anyway by no means the 8464 is a studless set - it has like <15% of liftarms in it's construction and it's mix of both studded and studdless techniques, with studded structure dominating the build.

Also vetting by moderators should be first before the voting goes live - If @Samolot's and @MangaNOID's entries were (or were to be) disqualified, then it means that there was 274 points that could've been distributed differently in the voting. For things being clear, I'd like for future contests to have vetting of the submissions first before voting which would be then the final verdict unless the Jury would need to decide the order between two entries with same amount of points.

Finally after seeing that in the end, the contest indeed was finally decided by which model was closest to the original, it feels a bit confusing that first we have to compete outside the rules to gather points where we can loose just because others picked bigger models to recreate (and people are drooling over big models over something that is small and thus challenging to recreate) and not necessarily delivered properly on that while a lot were left outside of the "Top 10" selection because of the popular vote.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:54 AM, Jim said:

Karmi's and Sams' votes weren't included ithe results

Didn’t read this bit.

1 hour ago, kolbjha said:

Actually, if I'm not wrong, both you and @Samolot share the position as public vote winners

Your right!

13 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

I have to say that I am disappointed by how @Samolot's submission was ruled out from the podium

I agree. I actually came to write something about @Samolot entry also after thinking about what was written by @Jim but you summed up perfectly in fact in your whole post :thumbup:

I think this TC has been the most ambiguous one ever (that I have been part of) 

no discredit to the winners or the mods efforts but some clearer understanding may be beneficial in the future.

I like the idea of jury vote then the public vote otherwise it’s a bit dictatorial.

I am deeply humbled by the results of the contest. I am thankful for the first place result, and I had more fun in the contest than I have in a long time. Watching all the great builds and getting all the great feedback was wonderful! I'm not sure I was challenged as much as I was in TC19, but the contest was a joy to participate in!

Thanks to the many great ideas from all the builders: the final designs were great to watch take shape.

Thanks to all of you who brought me to the top 10. I'm sorry to spam each of you, but I want to express my thanks individually.

Thanks @mpj for some points and for your entry. I'm happy your truck did well, and you were able to complete the cars!

Thanks @Jundis for some points and for your entry. I remade 6352 years ago, and yours was soooooo much better.

Thanks @SaperPL for your 10 points, and for the feedback along the way. Your questions about the contest process are apt.

Thanks @anyUser for your vote.

Thanks @1gor for your 10 points. You constantly give me feedback on all of my builds for which I'm grateful. I didn't choose a MOG to sway your vote, but I guess I should have saw that coming.

Thanks @Stuartn for some points.

Thanks @Pattspatt for some points.

Thanks @karmi for your vote, and as a new member I hope you enjoy being part of Eurobricks.

Thanks @Touc4nx for your vote and for your entry. Keep up the good work!

Thanks @Seasider for your 6 points, and for so much more. Thanks for the idea about build process, and for keeping the focus of your build simple. I'll never forget the value of a trans-blue render now. You gave me helpful ideas about scale and design language. Congratulations on your second place! It was well earned.

Thanks @howitzer for your points and for your fabulous entry. 8824 was one my second Technic set, so it connected well with me. If you make instructions, send them my way.

Thanks @Scoar Sonander for your 6 points?

Thanks @GerritvdG for your 10 points, and for your entry. 8835 was on my list for this contest, and I'm happy you did it justice! I look forward to more builds from you!

Thanks @Berthil for your vote.

Thanks @2GodBDGlory for your vote, and for your entry. You keep doing better with each contest! Congratulations!

Thanks @Brickend for some points!

Thanks @vascolp for your vote.

Thanks @MajklSpajkl for your vote, and for the many ways we have connected in the past couple of years. Thanks for your ideas and encouragement. I have on my list to visit Slovenia, and when I do, I have a set of shoe covers with your name on it!

Thanks @filsawgood for your vote. I always love your simple, smaller MOCs, and your TC18 entry still brings a smile to my face!

Thanks @m00se for your vote.

Thanks @MP LEGO Technic creations for your vote and I'm sorry your entry did not do better.

Thanks @gyenesvi for your vote and your entry. I was great to be reminded of the 6 wheeler again.

Thanks @nerdsforprez for your vote.

Thanks @langko for your points.

Thanks @KevinMD for your vote.

Thanks @Akassin for your 6 points, and as much as I love Spyrius, BLACKTRON FOREVER!

Thanks @Qukie for your vote.

Thanks @Erik Leppen for your vote, and for all the inspiration you have given to me over the years.

Thanks @Dave21 for your points.

Thanks @eric trax for your vote, and for all that you share with Eurobricks. Please continue to bring great creations to us. Your builds are inspiring. 

Finally thanks to @Jim and @Milan for creating, hosting, and supervising another great contest. We are indebted the service you provide, and the direction you give. We look forward to more contests! Keep them coming!

To @Seasider and @RiGi, congratulations on your placing. You should be proud of your MOCs, and your result. Well done.

Finally, to @MangaNOID and @Samolot, I am grateful to have won, but my win feels a little sour after coming in behind you in the voting. You each had great, creative, well executed entries that were fun to watch come together and garner much appreciating in the voting stage. I hope you continue to build more MOC for us to enjoy. If you ever find yourself in Michigan, I'll treat you to dinner and a hospitable day/evening as a small token of my debt to you.

I have questions about the process to select the winners in this contest, but I'll leave that for another day. Tonight I celebrate with some bubbles!

51398810123_948c195679_b.jpg

@Thirdwigg and @Seasider were my two favorite entrants so I am thrilled to see them take gold and silver.  I thought ‘wigg’s choice to wheels seemed too large for the set, which put it below Sea’s, but splitting hairs over two marvelous builds.  Again, as I said on my voting entry, so many amazing builds it was tough to narrow it down.  

@Jim what a perfect contest, even if the criteria were a bit open for debate. Perhaps another go limiting to a specific theme or something in the future could be in the cards? I could looked at these builds all day.

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

but my win feels a little sour

Not at all! Enjoy your win it is the deserved winner!

we know and knew of how the rules of voting was happening so a valid win to you :classic: no sourness no regrets sir, enjoy your drink :pir-huzzah1:

Congratulations to winners and all participiants!

Thank You also all voters, as it seems best result for me in any EB contest.

Congratulations to the winners!

I really enjoyed the contest and I'm happy to be in the top ten with my simple model :classic:

Congratulations to the winners! And also thank you to all those who voted for my application. The competition was amazing, there was such a large number of different works! Unbelievable!

Thank you to @Jim and @Milan for organizing such interesting competitions again and again.

Edited by Akassin

4 hours ago, KevinMD said:

@Jim what a perfect contest, even if the criteria were a bit open for debate. Perhaps another go limiting to a specific theme or something in the future could be in the cards? I could looked at these builds all day.

Yeah that is always a bit of on issue. Just because you can use a certain model, doesn't mean it's wise. Thirdwigg, Seasider and RiGi perfectly chose their model and built it entirely in the spirit of the contest. I have two ideas for next contest in mind. One is easy, one is hard. We will discuss this further in the contest topic.

22 minutes ago, Akassin said:

Thank you to @Jim and @Milan for organizing such interesting competitions again and again.

Contests are the best thing in the Technic forum, so we will definitely try to keep them coming.

8 hours ago, SaperPL said:

I have to say that I am disappointed ...

You are disappointed about a lot of things. You are always disappointed. Furthermore, you have been arguing and debating during the entirety of the contest. While most of the builders (like Brickend) can live with (and kinda agree) with my assessment, you are still the one complaining. Please bear in mind that Milan and myself are putting a lot of time in a contest. I am even funding shippings costs of the prizes myself (since TLG doesn't ship the prizes anymore), just to make sure the winners get some sort of reward. So, I think it's wise to change your attitude and lighten up a bit. Of course you can disagree with something. I don't have any issues with that. But please don't argue about/debate every single thing.

Congrats to the winners, and big Thanks for all participants and even bigger thanks for all organizers for making this contest possible. It was fun, it was fresh in ideas.