Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[OL - FB] Essian Reiterhaus, Fort Arltrees

"I'm not kidding you, Pierre. I saw it with my own eyes: there are demons running about in Fort Arltrees! I stumbled upon one last night and I swear it looked right into my soul!"

"Nonsense, Charles. There's no such thing as demons. You just drank too much and started imagining things."

51394819026_6b8f8605c3_c.jpg

With the situation around the Brick Seas slowly settling down somewhat, the small Essian garrison that had remaind in Fort Arltrees after the Battle for El Oleonda formally requested the Crown of Carno in Aden to expand its presence there, under the auspices of Oléon, of course. While there was no official alliance on paper between the nations, Fort Arltrees had grown into a synergetic settlement with benefits to both parties.

Slowly, what had started as a squatter settlement with tents and solely wooden buildings was beginning to look like a civilized place. What passes for 'civilization' might be up for debate, however. The Essians - referring to the colony as 'Treesborg' in a corrupted version of the name in their own tongue - have brought with them not only soldiers, but also customs and architecture from the homeland. Architecture that would look out of place in any Oléonder city. Oléonese colonists have been known to label the Essian buildings in Fort Arltrees as rather 'gothic', 'unpleasant to the eye', 'dark' and 'not really up to latest trends'.

The Reiterhaus, or rider's house - home of a contingent of Todeshusaren, is a prime example of Essian architecture: drawn up from red and blasted black bricks with decorative arches and spires, sporting the black-and-white of the Raven City. Obviously, the twin raven heraldry could not be missing here and have been incorporated guarding Essen's colors.

Next to the building a small sapling was planted, in hope that its spirit would watch over the barracks in true wotanist naturalist fashion.

51394818326_85b7b67238_c.jpg

Here we can see Father Jensen, resident Rune Priest of Treesborg, doing his daily morning walk accompanied by his trusted Carnite Shepherd, Max. An off-duty hussar is whetting his blade in the soft morning sun.

51395576874_d3d02521c6_c.jpg

A guard keeps an eye out for any possible dangers lurking in the untamed wilds of El Oleonda, while a hussar tends to his horse.

51394818591_1b0605099a_c.jpg

-----

I built this after seeing Evancelt's armory. I was having a bit of a building block, because I always want to build too big, but when I saw that I thought "I can build something similarly sized as well". I coupled this with my wish to finally put my idea for Essian architecture into practice, instead of it just floating around in the back of my mind. Et voila, lo and behold: the Essian Reiterhaus. It might not be that big, but I'm rather proud of it, because I was 95% able to nail the architectural style like I had it in my mind.

Hope you like it!

Great architectural style. The look and the color combination make the Reiterhaus look gloomy, which goes very well with the Todeshusaren.

Lovely @Khorne! I love the red color scheme and architecture, as well as the base. The upside down lanterns are fun!

Also really like the posts made out of round plates and bricks. They are simple yet very effective as ornate posts.

Nice photos, the gray background works really well

Oh @Khorne! It is AWESOME! You really did nail the style and the Essians are always great characters. The Hohenzollern crest is framed very well too (does the pattern have meaning in your Essian lore?) Great build!Makes me miss Germany and it has only been like 2 months.

23 hours ago, NOD said:

Great architectural style. The look and the color combination make the Reiterhaus look gloomy, which goes very well with the Todeshusaren.

Thanks, NOD! I Photoshopped and extra gloomy picture, but I didn't use it here because it didn't fit with the general story.

51394708777_2db657de1c_z.jpg

20 hours ago, evancelt said:

Lovely @Khorne! I love the red color scheme and architecture, as well as the base. The upside down lanterns are fun!

Also really like the posts made out of round plates and bricks. They are simple yet very effective as ornate posts.

Nice photos, the gray background works really well

Thanks! Glad you like it. I'll need some more "basic" tiles and bricks if I want to make large and detailed bases like those of yourself, because is mostly used all of mine already. I'm especially in dire need of tiles to spruce up the ground.

I like the gray background too. It's something different from the usual white and I find it easier to Photoshop stuff, especially if there's white involved. The white flag would vanish into a white background.

13 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Oh @Khorne! It is AWESOME! You really did nail the style and the Essians are always great characters. The Hohenzollern crest is framed very well too (does the pattern have meaning in your Essian lore?) Great build!Makes me miss Germany and it has only been like 2 months.

Great to hear :sweet:. I honestly I had no clue the shield was that close in design to the one used by the Hohenzollerns. There's no real prefab shield that was satisfying enough for what I wanted, so I started playing around with those pieces and came up with the checkered design by coincidence. I had made a 50:50 black/white design first, but the checkered pattern looked more dynamic. I used it here already and decided to keep it because it just fits really well. So no, there's no real specific meaning. It's just the "national" shield of the City displaying its colors, I guess.

I'm really glad to see you build something in this style, the dark red with those spikes on either end of the roof makes it very unique.  I love the little details like the spider tile and the soldier sharpening his blade.  The technique for the lanterns is great too and the shield flanked by parrots is perfect!

35 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Photoshopped and extra gloomy picture, but I didn't use it here because it didn't fit with the general story.

That looks fantastic!

So much dark red! :wub:  I really like this, Khorne, and it's always awesome to see more of the Essians!  The spires and emblem above the door and roof color are excellent, and your extra-gloomy photoshopped pic is just gorgeous! :drool:

Esian lore is a great addition to BOBS universe and this building is particularly effective as I've already told you. The crest is extraordinary and so are the minifigs and the overall details of this building!

Thanks for the gloomy photo too. Even if it doesnt fit your moc description as you said, it surely adds to the vibe you want to communicate!

Gray background really elevates your colour choices too. 

Edited by blackdeathgr

23 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I'm really glad to see you build something in this style, the dark red with those spikes on either end of the roof makes it very unique.  I love the little details like the spider tile and the soldier sharpening his blade.  The technique for the lanterns is great too and the shield flanked by parrots is perfect!

That looks fantastic!

Thanks Kai, glad you like it! The Photoshopped picture is a bit too dark I think, but it gets the general vibe across.

22 hours ago, Garmadon said:

So much dark red! :wub:  I really like this, Khorne, and it's always awesome to see more of the Essians!  The spires and emblem above the door and roof color are excellent, and your extra-gloomy photoshopped pic is just gorgeous! :drool:

Dark red is actually one of the colors I actually own a lot of bricks of :laugh:. I really wanted to emulate the northern European/German brick gothic style, so I figured dark red was the best fit here.

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Esian lore is a great addition to BOBS universe and this building is particularly effective as I've already told you. The crest is extraordinary and so are the minifigs and the overall details of this building!

Thanks for the gloomy photo too. Even if it doesnt fit your moc description as you said, it surely adds to the vibe you want to communicate!

Gray background really elevates your colour choices too. 

Thanks! I love the gloomy architectural style too. It's fun to build something different from the usual Oléon style.

16 hours ago, Khorne said:

I love the gloomy architectural style too. It's fun to build something different from the usual Oléon style.

Remember guys, a good build coupled with a good story fits anywhere in BoBS :pir-classic:

Good design, especially the support pillars are to my liking. Not to mention the story that really brings the build alive.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:04 PM, Alix said:

Good design, especially the support pillars are to my liking. Not to mention the story that really brings the build alive.

Thanks! Since I tried to limit myself to mostly one color (with added black accents) I tried to mix up the shapes somewhat to keep it interesting, so it's not all completely square and blocky.

Nice build.I could definitely stand to see some Gothic vampire mansion builds. Needs to happen.

Edited by Ross Fisher

Awesome build. You took the central European style of the era and turned it into this great Moc. Very nice work.

Fantastic build - but I did not quite get whether the Todeshusaren are a product of imagination or an existing army detachment.
(and that is most likely my fault) :pir-grin:

On 8/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, Ross Fisher said:

Nice build.I could definitely stand to see some Gothic vampire mansion builds. Needs to happen.

I'd love to build another MOC in this style - larger perhaps, like a home or something - but I don't have enough bricks, I think.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:35 PM, Spud The Viking said:

Lovely build! I really like the arch on the left! The little 1x1 spider printed tile is also a cute detail.

The spider was actually an addition out of necessity since I ran out of 'normal' tiles :grin:. Glad you like it. It does add to the general vibe.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:06 PM, Fraunces said:

Awesome build. You took the central European style of the era and turned it into this great Moc. Very nice work.

Thanks! The brick gothic buildings of the Hanseatic League and later neogothic were definitely an inspiration.

1 hour ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fantastic build - but I did not quite get whether the Todeshusaren are a product of imagination or an existing army detachment.
(and that is most likely my fault) :pir-grin:

They are definitely a real Essian army detachment, but the guy from the introduction was so drunk that he mistook a soldier for a demon.

There's a short description of the unit in the general overview of Essen I made.

What a fantastic build, Khorne. Very effective for the scale and size.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Gorgeous one !

We want more pics !

Thanks! Sadly, I'm afraid there isn't a lot more to show. The right features the same arches as the left side. The thing not showing on the pictures is a feeding trough for the horses under the balcony.

19 hours ago, KotZ said:

What a fantastic build, Khorne. Very effective for the scale and size.

Thanks!