A_C

[MOD] 75308 R2-D2 Upgrade and 75187 BB-8 Upgrade

LEGO did a great job in re-releasing R2-D2 as 75308, but there are still some parts not the same as the real one. So I've made the followings:

- changed the outlook of the leg's fuel cells
- flushed the third leg outlet panels (front and rear) by 1 plate
- completed third leg outlet panels by adding the left and right sides
- switched the position of the buttons and pillars of the legs (same as the 2012 version)
- changed the outlook of the middle exhaust vents
- moved the tools compartments further outward and made it taller
- filled the gap between the head and the body
- more SNOT outlook
- push-to-open the lightsaber cover

195 extra pieces are required. Spare parts are also needed, about 80 original pieces will be left.

Instruction available at https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-85457

Happy building. Have fun and enjoy!

51401244328_8c7a8de880_c.jpg

51401963080_ce390ae33b_c.jpg

51401964355_16ac320d51_c.jpg

Edited by A_C
Subject updated

Nice work these mods!

I just finished building this so I may look into the head-mod you did to close the gap between the head and body of the model.

The leg detailing swap is an interesting one.  When I built this and compared it to the 2010 model I thought oh no I've made a mistake and put the legs on backwards!  But no it seems to be how the Lego designers intended the model to be for the new iteration.

Looking at photos online of R2 there are examples of the legs in both the 2010 and 2021 configuration.

What are your thoughts on which way the new model should be?

14 hours ago, lenzie said:

Nice work these mods!

I just finished building this so I may look into the head-mod you did to close the gap between the head and body of the model.

The leg detailing swap is an interesting one.  When I built this and compared it to the 2010 model I thought oh no I've made a mistake and put the legs on backwards!  But no it seems to be how the Lego designers intended the model to be for the new iteration.

Looking at photos online of R2 there are examples of the legs in both the 2010 and 2021 configuration.

What are your thoughts on which way the new model should be?

Thanks!

As you said, it seems even Lucas Film was confusing when modelling the legs. I swapped the 'buttons' and 'pillars' because all of my other R2-D2 models are in this config. Besides, I need the 2 x 3 white plates for other parts in this MOD.

Edited by A_C

I have just ordered all the parts needed (Bricklink + Ebay) and am awaiting delivery of the model & additional parts, next step download MOC instructions........

4 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I have just ordered all the parts needed (Bricklink + Ebay) and am awaiting delivery of the model & additional parts, next step download MOC instructions........

Thank you. Hope you enjoy the build.

I purchased all the extra parts needed but I am now at step 86 of the modified instructions and can't find an 8x1 white plate with rail, or 6x2 plate white, or 6x1 blueish grey plate, have ordered all three from Ebay.

I can't find either when looking (without unsealing) future bags of the official Lego build.

Now got to await for arrival of Ebay parts....

Edited by williamyzfr1

4 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I purchased all the extra parts needed but I am now at step 86 of the modified instructions and can't find an 8x1 white plate with rail, or 6x2 plate white, or 6x1 blueish grey plate, have ordered all three from Ebay.

I can't find either when looking (without unsealing) future bags of the official Lego build.

Now got to await for arrival of Ebay parts....

The 8x1 white plate with rail can be found at the original step 367.

The 6x2 white plate can be found at the original step 235 to 237.

The 6x1 BG plate can be found at the original step 120.

I know I can simply make them all additional parts but don't want to have too much spare parts left...

16 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I am now pretty advanced into this build, very surprised by the lack of activity on this thread for a new Lego model.

Never mind. Any progress?

7 hours ago, A_C said:

Never mind. Any progress?

I am currently half way through building the last part - The head.

Not suggesting any fault of yours but I find myself one 3x2 plate in tan missing (step 272 of modified build) so awaiting arrival of the missing part from Ebay.

I am so used to the orderly builds from Lego where you work from numbered bags in order that this build was quite challenging, as I found myself looking for parts from multiple numbered bags simultaneously.

The end result has been worth it as the modified build is so much cleaner and realistic.

So thanks for the MOC, it is a great improvement on the standard model.

Edited by williamyzfr1

5 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I am currently half way through building the last part - The head.

Not suggesting any fault of yours but I find myself one 3x2 plate in tan missing (step 272 of modified build) so awaiting arrival of the missing part from Ebay.

I am so used to the orderly builds from Lego where you work from numbered bags in order that this build was quite challenging, as I found myself looking for parts from multiple numbered bags simultaneously.

The end result has been worth it as the modified build is so much cleaner and realistic.

So thanks for the MOC, it is a great improvement on the standard model.

Thanks again.

BTW, I'm updating its brother so that they will have similar style when standing side by side.

51429256207_90b3f79a60_c.jpg

Edited by A_C

75187 BB-8 Upgrade

This MOD is aimed to upgrade your 75187 BB-8 to match with the style of the 75308 R2-D2.

- more SNOT outlook from head to toe
- close the hatch when rotate the lighter back to the body

238 extra pieces are required. Spare parts are also needed, about 70 original pieces will be left.

Instruction available at: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-87325/

51438444141_3ea06ae5f3_c.jpg

51440000961_eefded4e40_c.jpg

Edited by A_C

16 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I have today received a second hand BB8 in parts and am awaiting the extra parts needed. Looking forward to the next build.

Thanks man. With your previous comment, in this MOD I've tried to note any parts that need to be found in the future original steps. Hope you will enjoy this build again.

6 hours ago, A_C said:

Thanks man. With your previous comment, in this MOD I've tried to note any parts that need to be found in the future original steps. Hope you will enjoy this build again.

Cheers, I've noticed that already as I started the build with the original parts and left overs from other builds whilst I await the ordered extra parts.

Personally I find it helpful.

All finished & BB8 looks great.

The modified version doesn't fit the original stand too well but if you remove the two long flat black tiles in the cross piece of the stand where it supports BB8 you can substitute a 2x2 black tile with single stud in the centre and place a 1x1 square black tile on top of it.

This raises the height in the centre of the stand sufficiently to support the centre of the base of BB8.

These were parts I already owned but any combination of 2x2 plates & tiles to raise the height by two tiles would also solve the height issue..

I have ordered flat plates to cover the remaining uncovered studs.

Edited by williamyzfr1

13 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

All finished & BB8 looks great.

The modified version doesn't fit the original stand too well but if you remove the two long flat black tiles in the cross piece of the stand where it supports BB8 you can substitute a 2x2 black tile with single stud in the centre and place a 1x1 square black tile on top of it.

This raises the height in the centre of the stand sufficiently to support the centre of the base of BB8.

These were parts I already owned but any combination of 2x2 plates & tiles to raise the height by two tiles would also solve the height issue..

I have ordered flat plates to cover the remaining uncovered studs.

I've tried, the original should be strong enough to hold the BB-8. But your idea is even stronger.

BTW, thanks for posting the photo at rebrickable. They look wonderful.