AD_Bricks

What counts as purist for a custom minifigure?

To me, the “purist” line is drawn at using fake/custom/3D printed moulds and permanent modification. For many of my custom figures, I make pauldrons and kamas out of paper, and sometimes even torso wrap-around things. I also make “paper decals” (idk) where I would usually just create markings and the like which I use blu-tack to stick onto the figure. As LEGO fans, would you approve of this and/or consider it “purist”?

Purist for me is the use of no custom parts and no modifications of TLG parts aside from altering stickers or cutting flex tubes (something I don’t do though). While I am a purist myself I don’t mind custom figures or accessories, in fact I admire many of them. I don’t think there is anything wrong with minifigure customisation  at all, especially when there is little alteration to TLG parts.

It would be great to see some of your custom designs,

Edited by Stuartn

Purist to me means straight up Lego, no decals or custom prints, or custom figure molds (such as helmets). I do consider 3rd party weapons separate from the actual figure, so if my purist fig is holding a brickarms gun for instance, I still count it as purist.

That said, I do occasionally use third party elements (such as helmets, or body gear) for my otherwise purist customs.

I think the conventional meaning of a purist custom is that you use only official, unaltered lego figure parts (so no custom prints or paper kamas). 

For example

Official figure: P2 rex (2013)

Purist custom: p2 rex helmet with the new clone head, the plastic pauldron part, and 501st trooper torso/legs with the black kama.

Full custom: p2 rex helmet with an antenne hole drilled into it, a custom pauldron and cape, and/or a custom decal for the torso.

Now I want to clarify it doesn't mean custom parts, decals, or prints are bad, they just aren't "purist".