Sign in to follow this  
BrickRally217

[MOC] RZ-1 A-wing Interceptor

Hey!

After completing my X-wing and Y-wing MOCs, this was third of the iconic Rebel fleet trio I wanted to design. It came together in about 2 weeks and didn't go through too many revisions. 

Of all my Star Wars spacecraft MOCs, this is probably the in-universe model that I'm the most irreverent of. I think because of that, I subconsciously approached this project not with the goal of a making a particularly aesthetic (or even necessarily hyper-accurate) model, but more as a kind of breeding ground to stimulate my imagination and experiment with strange building techniques. So, I view this as the most artful model of the bunch but probably not the prettiest to look at. And I like it because of that; a craft that I easily could have designed for the sole reason of it fitting with the others now feels like a personal expression and demonstrates my more raw sensibilities as a builder. I'm curious how you guys feel about it!

51389374023_e6691918f0_c.jpg

The way the front of the interceptor slopes downward is very peculiar and I tried to approximate the gradualness of it by doing 2 series of bar-clip connections for the dark red platforms, and 2 more for the white edges. Inevitably, that creates some gaps, but I don't think they're too bad.

51389856739_64d8c3eec5_c.jpg

Unlike my other models, this one does not have an internal structure. The closest thing to one would probably be one of these bad boys, which the whole front sloping apparatus is attached to and also connects to the pilot seat. Structural stability has not been a huge issue though, since the display stand rests on the back of the model which is reasonably built-up.

51388358757_bbf4a7434c_c.jpg

The dark red section behind the cockpit hugs the windscreen very close in the actual model, so I thought having a small gap was better than having the parts extending outward from it. 

51389856624_836758f441_c.jpg

I think the underside really demonstrates how haphazardly this thing was designed :laugh: 

51388358647_65f2931de0_c.jpg

I couldn't fit much in the cockpit, but at least it's monochromatic and there's a couple of control sticks.

51389373368_3c739a2809_c.jpg

Lastly, an aerial view.

51389373403_a3233bb9fc_c.jpg

Hope you enjoyed looking at my custom A-wing. Let me know what you think!

On 8/31/2021 at 8:54 AM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Very nice, I do think the side profile is a bit off, as the bottom slopes up to meet the top but otherwise it's perfect.

Thank you! Totally agree about the side, it is a little rough looking