Mgf

Tydirium Mod, New Cockpit, Completely Closed Hull

Hello Everyone!

I have modified my Marshal Banana Tydirium Replica. New cockpit, completely closed hull and motorized wings. I have also modified the thrusters, wing cannons and the air vent section. 
The open gear section of the wing attachments bothered me for quite some time and I’ve finally come up with a solution to close the hull. I had to redesign my motorization of the wings and I got it done without sacrificing the minifig interior. 
The new cockpit has now a nice curved surface with slightly angled sidewalls which run smoothly all the way to the back of the cockpit.   
For more Mod-Details and comparison between the shuttles watch my Flickr-Video.

51269543188_debb4075f6_c_d.jpg

51272285197_f1e6698e42_c_d.jpg

51274063955_38fb60d916_c_d.jpg

51273763959_0a299fe63f_c_d.jpg

Are there instructions for this? How well do the motorised wings work? I remember seeing someone else’s attempt to motorise them and they had a problem with the motors not being powerful enough or the wings flopping down when lowering or being slow when raising.

edit:

Never mind, just seen your video. Still slow and quite jerky movement. 

Edited by Wonderpants

Best looking cockpit section out there - it achieves that subtle curvature of the upper surface.  Nicely done!

definitely.  I have been looking to try and build something similar to retrofit onto the UCS shuttle and bring the weakest area of that model up to date.  I assume this wouldn't be able to directly do that but it helps inspire my though process a little more

One of my criticisms of the OG design was always the cockpit curved being far too accentuated. This is a perfect solution, I love the shapes and subtle angles that can be created using panels. The way you've covered the exposed gears in the wings as well, :pir-love:. Excellent work all around

Hello again Mgf and welcome to the forums!

I can't stop looking at these photos!  I noticed the comments on your Flickr page that you have no plans to create instructions, but I was wondering if you might be willing to post more detailed photos of the cockpit section and the construction techniques you used!  This is by far the new standard for the T-4a cockpit - the look and angles are fantastic!  In my opinion this is an amazing achievement that is long overdue.  So THANK YOU for sharing this with us, and I can only hope LEGO is taking notes!!!

I agree, thanks for sharing. 

The cockpit makes all the difference in the world. It was the main reason I never started the original build. Now I'm wondering if I should make room for one more MOC...

13 hours ago, lowlead said:

Hello again Mgf and welcome to the forums!

I can't stop looking at these photos!  I noticed the comments on your Flickr page that you have no plans to create instructions, but I was wondering if you might be willing to post more detailed photos of the cockpit section and the construction techniques you used!  This is by far the new standard for the T-4a cockpit - the look and angles are fantastic!  In my opinion this is an amazing achievement that is long overdue.  So THANK YOU for sharing this with us, and I can only hope LEGO is taking notes!!!

Thank you very much for your kind words. As you can imagine, a lot of work went into the cockpit design. I’m sorry to tell you that I’m not going to post any detailed photos of the building techniques I’ve used.

6 hours ago, Mgf said:

Thank you very much for your kind words. As you can imagine, a lot of work went into the cockpit design. I’m sorry to tell you that I’m not going to post any detailed photos of the building techniques I’ve used.

I can understand if you are planning to sell the plans and don’t want to lose out on potential profit but you already said you are not going to do instructions. it’s pretty clear the community would all benefit And be grateful for a bit of knowledge sharing to improve their models too. Why the big secret?

Great job on this MOC! I have been working on changes to the UCS version (Primarily focused on eliminating the visible gears/gaps for the wings) but have been running into severe weight issues w/ the wings . Do you have any pictures detailing the drive mechanism?

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote the original post and all of its images.

23 hours ago, Redbird11 said:

Great job on this MOC! I have been working on changes to the UCS version (Primarily focused on eliminating the visible gears/gaps for the wings) but have been running into severe weight issues w/ the wings . Do you have any pictures detailing the drive mechanism?

I don’t have any detailed pictures of the mechanism. I checked your post about the 10212 Mod and I can give you some tips. It’s a bad idea to attach the L-Motor the way you showed in your last post. Place the motor in the center of your model. Take a look at book 1, page 23 of the 10212 instructions. The gearboxes and the 1x11 Liftarms are important parts of the mechanism. The gearboxes create the needed torque to keep your wings in place and you need the 1x11 Liftarms to attach the wings. In your case I would remove all four gearboxes and the two 32324 Technic Bricks and replace it with the following custom gearbox. Maybe you need one more gearbox and motor on the opposite side too.

Gearbox.jpg.5125339ad47028a2e728bb5c915aeced.jpg