Sign in to follow this  
Aleh

How do you prefer to get new MOCs? Vote

How do you prefer to get new MOCs- complete OR WIP?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to get new MOCs- complete OR WIP?

• I like to see the complete MOC with the video and HQ photos at one time
    • I like to see WIP and participate in the process with some advices and simply observe how the creation grows
    • I don't care, simply build something and make a content. Or I'm not sure.

Hello everyone. I'm just curios about how would you like to get new MOCs from designers? Do you like to see the complete MOC with the video and HQ photos at one time OR WIP and participate in the process with advices and simply observe how the creation grows?

2 admins: if the similar topit alreay exists, I may renam this one to some WIP MOC, don;t close please.

Edited by Aleh

I voted for the 3rd option but not becasue I dont care (I do actually!) but becasue I really love both ways: the WIP topics are quite interesting with its "gradual shaping" of the idea into a really cool model. And for the "instant MOCs", I enjoy the poping-up suprises when the great model appears like from a jukebox - boom and have a nice thing to explore "from scratch" guessiging on how it was possibly made.

Once I caucth myself on comparing the newly relased TLG offical sets vs their preliminary drafts trying to guess the designer ideas why they changed that, these, and there. :grin:

Voted for seeeing the finished model, but really depends on the MOC. If it's something with innovative/complex functions, then of course a WIP topic can provide a great look into how these got made, but it'll also take away the "wow" effect of seeing the finished model. For small/medium MOCs without much complexity WIP topics might not be that suitable - although then again there is some amazing stuff out there that could make for an interesting to read/participate WIP.

A WIP topic can suck you into the subject matter more, however it may give away enough that people don't need to buy it to get the joy of the reveal you get when building it, IYSWIM.

The trouble with presenting a MOC all at once, is it will often tend to drop off p1 here very quickly, because there's not much need for reader interaction. Therefore you read the topic, buy it or more likely don't, and move on with life.

Both are fine, but I really prefer to see the progress. A MOC is not only a model, it's also a process of design, build, change, etc. Finished models are everywhere on the internet - showing a process is much rarer, and gets you an insight in how someone proceeds when building a model. That provides a graet learning opportunity for all of us as readers/followers :)

That said, I know it can take some courage to show one's learning curve :) and often I myself fail to do it like that. But I always appreciate if that's done. Even for models that, in the end, didn't work out. Or, better: especially for models that didn't work out, because these usually won't be found elsewhere :)

If I didn’t post wip stuff I’d only post something once every 2.5 years, plus I need the help, it’s easy to become too insular or married to techniques that are familiar so posting and reading wip really helps me. I also much prefer to see how something is made rather than just the shiny finished product. Lego is all about building. Why just show it finished??

It's often that skilled builders just present their latest creation without any sort of insight into how it was designed and made and I feel that this kind of posting places the bar really high for us less skilled ones, as we don't get to see the process and all the problems and mistakes (and how they were fixed) so it leaves the feeling that the maker just built it and that's it. 

So I'd really like to see WIP photos and some discussion about how the creation was designed, what problems were encountered and so on. Once it's finished though, I'd really like to see those fancy photos and videos edited into the first post, so that they are easily found when I want to see them. So I guess the combination of both?

Depends on the time of the year also. We have these nice waves of WIP topics due to the Technic Contest. But probably it'd be too much to have that many WIP topic all the time. What I find especially intriguing is to see a WIP topic from a seasoned / famous builder! (Hat off to @Jeroen Ottens, to name one current example.)

2 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Depends on the time of the year also. We have these nice waves of WIP topics due to the Technic Contest. But probably it'd be too much to have that many WIP topic all the time. What I find especially intriguing is to see a WIP topic from a seasoned / famous builder! (Hat off to @Jeroen Ottens, to name one current example.)

Contest time is hard for any sort of MOC presentation, as the forum is constantly flooded with the contest WIP topics. So if I had a MOC to present, I'd wait until the contest is over and most of the discussion around entries has died down.

There is a more important question.... Do you want to see real bricks, or just a graphical render? WIP or finished doesn't bother me, but when someone posts a moc and its just some graphics, for me its not really lego. Build the thing, then i'll be interested! I know others disagree.. but thats only healthy!

Option 4:
Post the finished model one time but add description about the design process with WIP pics.
Like many posts on my portfolio website.

5 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Option 4:
Post the finished model one time but add description about the design process with WIP pics.
Like many posts on my portfolio website.

I like this option but then obviously you cannot take the feedback from others into consideration if it is posted after-the-fact.

I chose Option 3.  I am not sure.  As mentioned, I like @Lipko's response, but it has an obvious limitation.  I would definitely prefer WIPs, but I am admitting an obvious limitation.  No one has time to chime in on all posts, and I don't want to discourage seeing a finished product.  Therefore only seeing finished projects might be the way to go.... with the obvious limitation of not seeing the process.  Then again, my limitation of not being able to chime in all the time should not deter a WIP posting.... others may have the time.  So ultimately, this is why I chose option 3.  

I chose Option 3, because I don't care. I like seeing everyone's builds, I don't care if they are WIPs or completed.

43 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

There is a more important question.... Do you want to see real bricks, or just a graphical render? WIP or finished doesn't bother me, but when someone posts a moc and its just some graphics, for me its not really lego. Build the thing, then i'll be interested! I know others disagree.. but thats only healthy!

I guess some people build stuff digitally because they don't have the bricks at hand to try it out for real. Or they just want to test out something that is labour intensive to build but might not work, so it's less wasted time to make it digitally first.

I don't see a problem with digital builds, so long as they are actually buildable and stable and work as intended.

49 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of virtual things ...

9 minutes ago, noahtheb said:

I chose Option 3, because I don't care. I like seeing everyone's builds, I don't care if they are WIPs or completed.

This is the way I see, so I chose also 3rd option

I like both, it depends on how the author of the MOC is presenting it.

WIP topics can be great if they show interesting progress with something written too, and can really help to bring a MOC to the next level. On the other hand WIP topics can be really boring if the MOC creator makes a seperate update for each brick (exaggeration), or just posts pictures with no text at all.

I generally find the WIP topics more engaging, but I personally have chosen not to do a WIP of my current project partly because the amount of time I have to build varies unpredictably and I don't want to start a WIP topic that languishes.  

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I like both, it depends on how the author of the MOC is presenting it.

WIP topics can be great if they show interesting progress with something written too, and can really help to bring a MOC to the next level. On the other hand WIP topics can be really boring if the MOC creator makes a seperate update for each brick (exaggeration), or just posts pictures with no text at all.

Yep, presentation matters a lot, either way.

2 hours ago, Hrafn said:

I generally find the WIP topics more engaging, but I personally have chosen not to do a WIP of my current project partly because the amount of time I have to build varies unpredictably and I don't want to start a WIP topic that languishes.  

I also have this problem, and I also always have several different projects going on, some which may sit abandoned for a year or more, and sometimes I return to them, other times not. I also don't always just have time nor mental capacity to build Lego, so my WIP topics often become seemingly abandoned, depending on if I ever return to the project or not.

Allright guys, thank you very much for all responces. It's interesting to observe that people do like both WIP and finished model's presentation. Now it's time for my tiny opinion:

1) It depend on MOC and it's size: small mocs do not need WIP presentation at all except they are way too complex.

2) Presentation matters not a lot, but it's vital! My ideal presentation is a finished model with several hq photos and video with functions (since we are talking about technic) - I like "wow effect", then after it the author may post several wip photos and his thoughts about the building process. Though this does not leave us a possibility to discuss this or that solution during building and maybe help the author in case he is doing something out of scale, e.g. So if the builder needs help he has to open WIP, of course.
3) I prefer physical models, not digital builds - I have enough PC at work, so I don't wan't to kill my eyes wasting tens of hours by building the models. The only my model that have digital version is a Mammoet crane as the build is super repetitive. But I understood suddenly that I have to build all moders in stud.io to create good instructions, as I assume not all like step to step photo sequence (if only this is not a brillant work from @Charbel. But the building itself is only about touching the bricks and pieces.

This is a really good question I have been asking myself as well when presenting my builds, and it's hard to decide. In the end, I voted for finished MOCs for a couple of reasons. I agree that some builds are great for WIP threads when there is a technical challenge that needs discussion or help. However, in many cases when I build, I just like to try solving problems as hard as I can first before asking for help, and since many problems have already been solved I can just find an answer already. Furthermore, I feel like I don't want to spend time on making photos and writing a lot about something half ready that will probably change a lot over time as I test it; I'd rather spend that time on building, especially when I know how I want to build it. But there will probably be some MOCs that I'll do as a WIP in the future.

About digital builds: I use them a lot, mixed with physical building. I find it really helpful when I need to design something complex, like a gearbox or a floating axle, where you know where certain things need to be positioned, but you need to find out the bracing around it. In digital form, you can place things in the air, and see clearly what bracing can come around it. You can't do that easily in physical form. However, when it seems okay, it definitely needs testing it in physical form, to see if it holds (especially for technic, especially if motorized).

4 hours ago, Lipko said:

option 5:
WIP thread but a separate own thread for the finished model.

Hah, that was the case for my International Lonestar Truck)

3 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hah, that was the case for my International Lonestar Truck)

I do that all the time if I have WIPs.

I simply find mixed threads confusing, especially multipage threads. Poorly edited first post (original content deleted) - confusion. Thread title changes (*cough @Didumos69 *cough) - confusion. No first post edit with almost-finished and finished pictures close to each other in a wall on posts - confusion. Advices mixing with praise even after the model is called finished - confusion.
Also I find it harder to call something finished and get it accepted as finished when there is no distinct "it's finished. Period." thread. A separate thread has a kind of statement function besides clarity. The worst type of a WIP thread is that when the model is called finished, then after months or years it gets resurrected as a MOD WIP thread.

So to sum it up: I prefer a separate finished model thread with a link to the WIP. And also a link to the finished model in the WIP thread. I don't think that would result in too many threads. A proper presentation of a model takes time to make, probably the WIP would sink in the thread list anyway, this is a quite active forum.

IMHO.

Edited by Lipko

I'd love to see WIPs of pro builders. @nicjasno is one of my favorite pro builders because he makes build streams so everyone can participate or watch as the build comes together. 
We like to see that pro builders also struggle and that they're not perfect. When we just get the finished build only, it looks like pro builders just fart perfection as is and that it was easy. 

Or at least that's how i think people psychologically see it. 

I personally like that the community can come together and help eachother so we do not waste time doing stupid mistakes and learn as a collective. 
The only downside to this is that it can also kill creativity when we like to use already done working solutions instead of trying something new that can either fail or become something great.