Another Brick In The Wall

Bricklink Designer Program 2021 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

This is a repost of what I posted on Brickset last night:

I built the Kakapo this evening.

The finished model is a beautiful thing. Possibly the most beautiful Lego model I've bought.

The build, however, is tedious and repetitive. Thankfully it only took about 3 - 4 hours. I can't help thinking that having information about the Kakapo scattered through the instructions (as is becoming the norm with 18+ sets these days) would have helped relieve some of the slog.

Thanks for the write up! Sounds like if you into it expecting MOC-level instructions it will be a better experience. I will also get the episodes of Last Chance to See ready for when my copy arrives.

Last Chance to See: The original BBC Radio series by Mark Cawardine, Douglas Adams | Audiobook | Audible.com

Last Chance to See 5 Kakapo 2009 - YouTube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes definitely only expect moc-level instructions! The instructions are already available online, so you can look through them before your set arrives if you want.

Last Chance to See is where I first read about/saw Kakapos too, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who gets the set. However, I suspect most who have bought the set will have seen/read it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

Yes definitely only expect moc-level instructions! The instructions are already available online, so you can look through them before your set arrives if you want.

Last Chance to See is where I first read about/saw Kakapos too, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who gets the set. However, I suspect most who have bought the set will have seen/read it anyway.

Me too. But it's always great to re-listen/watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found with the fishing boat that parts in bags didn't quite match up to the instructions - the end of one bag containing the first step of the next bag in the instructions for instance. I was convinced I was missing multiple chains too since the first pair were in the numbered bag but the ones a few steps later were not - they later turned out to be in the un-nunbered bag of large parts. The bags for the sides of the hull were a little oddly ordered too, the first containing one hull side and a pile of parts for bow and stern but the instructions wanted the other hull side first which was in the next bag. These issues all seem to be down to how Lego decided which parts go in each bag, either that or there were some last minute changes to the instruction order after production had started. That aside though the instructions were clear and well put together and building it was good fun. It's a lovely model too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just to check, is it mostly UK purchasers who have received theirs so far? I'm in the U.S. and ordered the Kakapo and haven't gotten any packages or notices about my order so far, but it's quite possible that it'll take a little while before they roll them out to all regions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

So just to check, is it mostly UK purchasers who have received theirs so far? I'm in the U.S. and ordered the Kakapo and haven't gotten any packages or notices about my order so far, but it's quite possible that it'll take a little while before they roll them out to all regions.

Bricklink said it was shipping out to people in Europe first, and then everywhere else in February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

Bricklink said it was shipping out to people in Europe first, and then everywhere else in February.

Ah, okay. Thank you for the reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

Do we know if this will happen again this year?

I'd be surprised (but delighted) if they did, given that the third round will only be funded in 2022, and the sets from that may be delivered in 2023. It would make most sense for them to run it in 2023 for delivery in 2023, and hopefully learn a chunk from this version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone else in the UK not received their fishing boat yet? Mine is listed as “backordered” and has been now for a number of weeks.

Furthermore, Lego support stated it could not update my payment card and to wait until the payment failed, at which point they could replace it (which seems odd, not least given contrary responses others in this thread have had).

 

EDIT: Never mind. Forgot round two purchases won’t ship until the summer. Although why they won’t let me update payment, I’ve no idea.

Edited by craiggrannell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an exciting email from Lego today:

Here's a quick update on your BrickLink Designer Program order.

Orders to the United States and Canada will begin shipping at the end of January and those going to Australia and New Zealand will start shipping at the end of February. Due to ongoing global shipping delays, your order may take longer than normal to arrive after it’s been shipped.

We also want to let you know that your card will be charged when we start getting your order ready to ship. You’ll need to make sure you have funds available and the card is still valid before then.

So looks like the February time frame is still accurate. Hurrah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current bricklink stats for "Castle in the Forest"

38 sets for sale from 28 sellers. smh. This ratio was closer to 2:1, but still smh.  

Price has not dipped below 400 USD (excluding shipping).  Basic finance theory tells you many sellers are still hoarding them for the long-term. The only hope for a small price drop is if more are shipped in June. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Got an exciting email from Lego today:

Here's a quick update on your BrickLink Designer Program order.

Orders to the United States and Canada will begin shipping at the end of January and those going to Australia and New Zealand will start shipping at the end of February. Due to ongoing global shipping delays, your order may take longer than normal to arrive after it’s been shipped.

We also want to let you know that your card will be charged when we start getting your order ready to ship. You’ll need to make sure you have funds available and the card is still valid before then.

So looks like the February time frame is still accurate. Hurrah!

I just got an update that all my orders went to "Backorder" and will ship early February. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prometheus87 said:

I just got an update that all my orders went to "Backorder" and will ship early February. 

Same. Glad it's not just me. (Though I only ordered one set.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

I just got an update that all my orders went to "Backorder" and will ship early February. 

 

4 hours ago, tomorrowboy said:

Same. Glad it's not just me. (Though I only ordered one set.)

Me too. Will be shipped before Feb 8 according to the email.

5 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Current bricklink stats for "Castle in the Forest"

38 sets for sale from 28 sellers. smh. This ratio was closer to 2:1, but still smh.  

Price has not dipped below 400 USD (excluding shipping).  Basic finance theory tells you many sellers are still hoarding them for the long-term. The only hope for a small price drop is if more are shipped in June. 

I've heard a few people who ordered to build, then saw the huge price increase and figured maybe it was better to sell to fund other, standard sets. To be honest, I have the same thing with Ninjago City. I have it new in box and can't bring myself to open it, knowing that it's $800+. I will, one day, when I move and have more space. But definitely a factor.

I really wish they'd just produced more to meet demand, rather than an artificial limit taht very few actually value. Or that LEGO would just do something directly that's mass produced and widely available. Here's hoping for the 90th anniversary set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I've heard a few people who ordered to build, then saw the huge price increase and figured maybe it was better to sell to fund other, standard sets. To be honest, I have the same thing with Ninjago City. I have it new in box and can't bring myself to open it, knowing that it's $800+. I will, one day, when I move and have more space. But definitely a factor.

I really wish they'd just produced more to meet demand, rather than an artificial limit taht very few actually value. Or that LEGO would just do something directly that's mass produced and widely available. Here's hoping for the 90th anniversary set.

I feel the same about Welcome to Apocalypseburg.

“Castle in the Forest” despite its many flaws will be worth >1000 USD next year. Lego scalpers usually have multiple accounts and given the order glitch on the website,  It’s safe to assume there are less than 7000 unique owners worldwide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, RichardGoring said:

 

Me too. Will be shipped before Feb 8 according to the email.

I've heard a few people who ordered to build, then saw the huge price increase and figured maybe it was better to sell to fund other, standard sets. To be honest, I have the same thing with Ninjago City. I have it new in box and can't bring myself to open it, knowing that it's $800+. I will, one day, when I move and have more space. But definitely a factor.

I really wish they'd just produced more to meet demand, rather than an artificial limit taht very few actually value. Or that LEGO would just do something directly that's mass produced and widely available. Here's hoping for the 90th anniversary set.

I will probably not sell my castle, but it's definitely at the end of my (rather large) backlog and it will most likely stay there until it's the only thing in my backlog. I mean, I think I'd rather have the Hogwarts castle and if I could get that and more for my Castle in the Forest...

---

Round 2 was a huge disappointment. I really wanted the ruined house and the calendar, but I had to settle with just Venice (which will be a great Christmas gift for my mother).

In round three we have nine sets and they're all rather large with just a single set below 2k bricks.

Space Troopers!: 2 622 bricks
I got plenty of old space sets from when I was young during the 80's so if it was a decent set I'd definitely be interested. However, I don't find this set interesting at all, and especially not at the price it'll cost.
This'll most likely not make the cut.

1950s Diner: 1 115 bricks
By far the smallest set this round. I personally prefer the modular old school diner, but it's really neat and I'm quite tempted to go for it.
Just like the bowling alley from round 2 I assume this'll get enough support.

Train Station: Studgate: 3 885 bricks
The largest set of the round. It's for sure a gorgeous train station. I just wish he decided to not include the rather dull looking train. Every single potential customer has got to already have at least a train. If it was a given that it'd become a real product I can understand why, but now it can be the reason why it won't get made.
I hope it'll make the cut but the price might be too high...

Working Waterfall: 2 150 bricks
I so want to love this set, but I really hate that the water seems to move upwards. I'd also prefer a slightly smaller set. I believe that this, just like the calendar, is too large for its own good. The price'll probably be higher than most people are willing to spend for a set like this, especially since a motor is included.
If it makes the cut I might go for it, but unfortunately I very much doubt it'll make the cut.

Exploratorium: 3 173 bricks
It's not a set for me, but I still think it's great looking. It has a lot going on, but maybe too much?
I have honestly no idea if this might make the cut or not, but I'm rooting for it.

Winter Chalet: 2 628 bricks
This it the set I'm definitely gonna go for, but just like Venice it's not for me but for my mother and her winter village.
I assume this'll get enough support from winter village fans to make the cut.

Modular Construction Site: 3 437 bricks
If the LEGO Store Modular could win round 2 despite not really fitting in with the rest of the modular buildings this has got to be one of the more popular sets in round 3. I kinda prefer completed modular buildings, but I can definitely see why people would want to add this to their modular street.
I'm quite certain this'll get enough support to make the cut.

Mountain View Observatory: ? bricks (but it has to be a lot)
I really like this. It's gorgeous and got loads of fun details. What I don't like is the sticker sheets I assume we'll get for most of the fun details. Will the price be too high? Hard to say without knowing the brick count, but it might be the case.
Gonna say the same thing as I did with the train station, I hope it'll make the cut but the price might be too high.

Brickwest Studios: 3 741 bricks
The saloon is mighty awesome, but it really need minifigs to be able to shine. Without them the film equipment is rather pointless and just increases the price. 
Just because they got rid of all minifigs I kinda hope it doesn't make cut. Hopefully they'll reconsider...

Most likely to make the cut is (IMHO): Modular Construction Site, Winter Chalet, 1950s Diner
Most unlikely to make the cut is (IMHO): Space Troopers!, Working Waterfall

So what do you guys think about the third round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all-in on the train station, winter chalet and modular construction site. The train station is a must support for me but I am an unabashed train fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2022 at 5:16 AM, Straiter said:

So what do you guys think about the third round? 

Where can I see photos of those sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love the 1950s diner, Exploratorium, or Mountain View Observatory. If none of those make it, I'd likely go for Train Station: Studgate or Modular Construction Site. I really like the Winter Chalet, but it's scale is more in line with the Home Alone house than the winter village series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll pass on this wave altogether. I'd write off most as not my thing, too bloated/expensive, or duplicating things I already have going.

There are two that take my fancy - the Waterfall & the Observatory. I'm a big fan of the waterfall, but I feel like I'm only interested in the mechanism of it, and I'll probably try to recreate it myself rather than buying.

Observatory is a similar story. In theory it's great, but the lack of roundness on the centrepiece dome puts me off. I might take a closer look and see if it could be recreated with the new space dome pieces from 60351. Would need to be relatively inexpensive for an experiment set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems many people have cooled on Brickwest Studios. Lets be honest, nobody is going to buy it for the film production builds and the lack of minifigs is a huge disappointment

 

when does this round begin anyway? 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is definitely disappointing to not have minifigs for brickwest studio, although the saloon from the 2019 BL Program also had no minifigs. I am hoping the lack of western theme sets will drive demand for this as I am still very keen regardless of the lack of minifigs. My guess is there must be a lack of usable torso for this period from the catalog and it would be odd just to have crew but no actors.

Will also go for winter chalet for my winter village and the diner for its charm. I am on the fence about train station and exploratorium. They are nice looking sets but not a must have. Will depend on price for these two before deciding.

The rest just don't appeal to me. I'd rather a complete building than a half built construction modular. The observatory could do with more roundness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received yet another email saying the Castle I ordered is “out of stock”. There is no estimated shipping date anywhere in the email. All it says is “Backorder”. This is the third such email this month. It was December 2nd that LEGO emailed and said the set was getting ready to ship. Haven’t been able to get a straight answer out of LEGO customer service about a ship date. BrickLink has ignored my request for information as well. People keep saying February (for US). I have my doubts, having received no solid information from either LEGO or BrickLink. Getting a little frustrated with this “blind” wait. Anyone have any luck getting possible delivery info? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.