Another Brick In The Wall

Bricklink Designer Program 2021 Discussion Thread

Yeah I think I didn't do a great job of conveying the size and scope of it, as lots of people are saying it's expensive, which it's not a small amount of money but it's probably more that people aren't seeing the value in it. It's pretty big...

a69wH1B.jpg

6 minutes ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Btw, if I have pre-ordered four funded projects and one unfunded, can I pre-order the other funded project? 

You can place orders for all nine if you like but will obviously only actually receive one of each of the top 5.

This whole thing is a mess.

And can we not call Giant LEGO STore a modular? It's technic holes aren't even in the right spots.

Edited by Maple

On 11/9/2021 at 6:32 PM, WetWired said:

Yeah I think I didn't do a great job of conveying the size and scope of it, as lots of people are saying it's expensive, which it's not a small amount of money but it's probably more that people aren't seeing the value in it. It's pretty big...

a69wH1B.jpg

It is too bad I did not see this earlier, it would have swayed my decision-making. 

I think it went much better then round 1. 10k to start and only one per order. So at least 10k people were able to buy one - much more then castle in round 1.

Is it too early to discuss favourites in round three? Are there standouts for anyone? For me, it is the Train Station and the Modular Construction site.

Edited by crowe-k

48 minutes ago, crowe-k said:

Is it too early to discuss favourites in round three? Are there standouts for anyone? For me, it is the Train Station and the Modular Construction site.

Think Construction site may be the first one in round three to sell out.  I believe 50s diner and observatory are pretty good bets. I'm not really into space so that is my least favorite followed by working waterfall. The rest, I would need to see pricing on.

Edited by Friscorays

For anyone that ordered and qualified but did not get the promo gift (Coffee cart), if you contact Lego they will send it. Happened to me for the last designer release and this one.

Edited by kchan98

My condolences to WetWired but I felt Seasons in Time was a little too dispersed from the vignettes to be as compelling as some of the other entries.   The craftsmanship is superb, but typically, people like to display an entire set and you don't really do that here.   You can't fit all the vignettes you're not using in the drawer (or at least I don't think you can, maybe I'm wrong), so where do you put them?

Anyway, Modular Construction Site is getting funded, for sure.  

Edited by CopperTablet

On 11/9/2021 at 4:48 PM, Friscorays said:

...I like the calendar and the scenes are a great idea but I don't know where I would store them all when not in use so for the price I think I will pass even if it pulls into the fifth slot....

4 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

My condolences to WetWired but I felt Seasons in Time was a little too dispersed from the vignettes to be as compelling as some of the other entries.   The craftsmanship is superb, but typically, people like to display an entire set and you don't really do that here.   You can't fit all the vignettes you're not using in the drawer (or at least I don't think you can, maybe I'm wrong), so where do you put them?

Maybe he was somewhat the victim of his ambition.  All the vignettes added to the set cost and created storage concerns, at least for a few of us.

2 hours ago, kchan98 said:

For anyone that ordered and qualified but did not get the promo gift (Coffee cart), if you contact Lego they will send it. Happened to me for the last designer release and this one.

Interesting. I just called Lego customer service and was told that GWP do not count as purchases made through Bricklink (an "affiliate of Lego) do not count in order to receive the GWP. Maybe it just depends on the CS rep. you get on the phone? 

58 minutes ago, crowe-k said:

Interesting. I just called Lego customer service and was told that GWP do not count as purchases made through Bricklink (an "affiliate of Lego) do not count in order to receive the GWP. Maybe it just depends on the CS rep. you get on the phone? 

I submitted my request via email. They said as long there is stock they will include it, but yeah might depend on the rep. Try again? :pir-classic:

I think khan98 is in the minority.  There was no mention of GWP with any of the 11 sets I have purchased through the Bricklink program so far and I didn't expect there to be.  I don't expect bombarding Lego customer service reps with requests will do much except for the majority except gum up the works even more.

And the terms of the promo on lego.com specifically state the proposed BDP set numbers are all excluded.

11 hours ago, kchan98 said:

I submitted my request via email. They said as long there is stock they will include it, but yeah might depend on the rep. Try again? :pir-classic:

But will it really be in stock in almost a year from now (i.e. when this gets delivered)?

20 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

Where do you keep your other unbuilt LEGO sets? smh, 

1 hour ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Where do you keep your other unbuilt LEGO sets? smh, 

The photo above shows that all of the vignettes take up a considerable amount of space on a decent size table. Speaking for myself, I store my unbuilt sets in a closet.  However once I open a set, I build it in its entirety.  

Although the vignettes could be stored more efficiently when disassembled and the nice thing about Lego is that it can be built and unbuilt essentially ad infinitum, I prefer not to utilize my time taking things apart and then reassembling them; especially when the nine vignettes in this set would call for assembly and disassembly at almost monthly intervals.  Obviously others might, and do, feel differently.

15 hours ago, Friscorays said:

The photo above shows that all of the vignettes take up a considerable amount of space on a decent size table. Speaking for myself, I store my unbuilt sets in a closet.  However once I open a set, I build it in its entirety.  

Although the vignettes could be stored more efficiently when disassembled and the nice thing about Lego is that it can be built and unbuilt essentially ad infinitum, I prefer not to utilize my time taking things apart and then reassembling them; especially when the nine vignettes in this set would call for assembly and disassembly at almost monthly intervals.  Obviously others might, and do, feel differently.

I agree, it is a downside here, especially as the calendar itself is so large.