Another Brick In The Wall

Bricklink Designer Program 2021 Discussion Thread

On 10/25/2021 at 8:43 PM, WetWired said:

Yeah the parts are being sourced from LEGO themselves. It's only existing parts currently in production which is why there's no parts in new colours or new prints, it's either stickers or existing prints. Source: Me, I'm the designer of the Seasons in Time one

For the record, Wetwired is the most successful LEGO IDEAS creator ever.

(Many thanks to others for updating this thread while I was in C19 hell),

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

6 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

For the record, Wetwired is the most successful LEGO IDEAS creator ever.

(Many thanks to others for updating this thread while I was in C19 hell),

Shouldn't that be joint most successful? Along with AndrewClark2 and Alatariel (and maybe others as I don't really keep up with IDEAS now).

16 hours ago, MAB said:

Shouldn't that be joint most successful? Along with AndrewClark2 and Alatariel (and maybe others as I don't really keep up with IDEAS now).

@wetwired had a several projects that were rejected at 10K but were made into sets anyway like the original UCS Tumbler and Ghostbusters HQ (I think).

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

9 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

@wetwired had a several projects that were rejected at 10K but were made into sets anyway like the original UCS Tumbler and Ghostbusters HQ (I think).

So are you accusing of LEGO of stealing those ideas? To me, those ideas were not passed as LEGO independently decided to make them. Didn't his Tumbler even predate IDEAS and CUUSOO? Making a MOC of a licensed IP before LEGO does it does not mean that LEGO has copied it, or when LEGO does a version of that licensed IP that it is stolen from or credit should go to someone that made a MOC of it first.

IDEAS Success to me is how many IDEAS sets someone is credited with, hence there are a number of joint most successful designers on two.

Discussions of who is the most successful at anything are always a little suspect, especially if there is no agreed upon definition up front. It does seem like all of the people mentioned in recent posts are unarguably successful by at least one metric when it comes to the Lego Ideas program. Why not leave it at that.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

So are you accusing of LEGO of stealing those ideas? To me, those ideas were not passed as LEGO independently decided to make them. Didn't his Tumbler even predate IDEAS and CUUSOO? Making a MOC of a licensed IP before LEGO does it does not mean that LEGO has copied it, or when LEGO does a version of that licensed IP that it is stolen from or credit should go to someone that made a MOC of it first.

IDEAS Success to me is how many IDEAS sets someone is credited with, hence there are a number of joint most successful designers on two.

FWIW, I took this as being validation that the projects that got to 10K but didn't get approved were still sort of approved by virtue of LEGO doing it themselves. Not that LEGO stole the idea, which clearly they didn't.

1 hour ago, Friscorays said:

Discussions of who is the most successful at anything are always a little suspect, especially if there is no agreed upon definition up front. It does seem like all of the people mentioned in recent posts are unarguably successful by at least one metric when it comes to the Lego Ideas program. Why not leave it at that.

But yes, agreed. They're all fabulous.

15 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

FWIW, I took this as being validation that the projects that got to 10K but didn't get approved were still sort of approved by virtue of LEGO doing it themselves. Not that LEGO stole the idea, which clearly they didn't.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you. Also, wetwired designed several vehicles for The LEGO Batman movie. 

I wouldn't exactly call myself the most successful, as others have said there are other creators who've had 2 project approved. There's also creators with more projects to hit 10k than myself. But regardless, it's not a competition I do it all for the love of LEGO and wanting to see these projects turned into real sets myself.

Bricklink has been so unresponsive (down to totally broken) for the last day, it feels like Lego's website on a special offer date, what the hell is happening?
At first I thought it was linked to the designer program, but the orders are supposed to only start tomorrow(?)

edit: seems fine now

Edited by anothergol

Much less glitchy than round one.  So far pre-ordered windmill, bowling alley and Venetian sets (which all seem to be doing well early on).  Still considering Lego shop modular....

I feel 3 of them will hit approval TODAY maybe even in the next Hour or two. 

• Windmill
  • Bowling Alley
  • Lego Store

The other 2 will probably be in a day or so. Really hope for Venetian one as well. I couldn't go on my honeymoon last year and had planned on going there. 

5 minutes ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

The smaller sets are surprisingly performing badly. It's like a horse race... 

COME ON SEASONS IN TIME!

You could also say that the largest sets are performing badly since the three most expensive are all in the bottom four.

Edit: Or at least that was true when I first looked at the page. The Venetian set has jumped up several places.

I wonder if Science Adventures isn't doing well because it seems like something most people who are likely to preorder sets like this could build themselves.

Edited by tomorrowboy

1 minute ago, tomorrowboy said:

You could also say that the largest sets are performing badly since the three most expensive are all in the bottom four.

I wonder if Science Adventures isn't doing well because it seems like something most people who are likely to preorder sets like this could build themselves.

That's exactly the reason.

Yeah, there's defintely a Goldilocks zone moneywise.

3 minutes ago, tomorrowboy said:

Edit: Or at least that was true when I first looked at the page. The Venetian set has jumped up several places.

There were problems ordering the Venetian houses and the Modular Lego store.

---

Really sad that it doesn't look like the ruined house'll make it and the calendar might very well lose the fifth spot to the aquarium. Sigh.

I was pleasantly surprised to be able to place my order with no glitches and with no need to panic to get there precisely on time to avoid it being sold out. Wow. Hopefully round 3 will be the same.

With an order placed, it's the fun game of seeing what gets funded. As much as I like the aquarium, I hope Seasons of Time makes it. It looks very close an hour in!

These are for delivery in June 2022, aren't they?

2 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I was pleasantly surprised to be able to place my order with no glitches and with no need to panic to get there precisely on time to avoid it being sold out. Wow. Hopefully round 3 will be the same.

With an order placed, it's the fun game of seeing what gets funded. As much as I like the aquarium, I hope Seasons of Time makes it. It looks very close an hour in!

These are for delivery in June 2022, aren't they?

No, these are for Q3.
June 2022 is for the second part of the first round.

6 minutes ago, Straiter said:

No, these are for Q3.
June 2022 is for the second part of the first round.

2022 is going to be SOOOO expensive for me. Lego is Life. All hail the Lego. 

LEGO Modular may reach 10,000 in 24 hours. 

35 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

2022 is going to be SOOOO expensive for me. Lego is Life. All hail the Lego. 

In the midst of lockdown, where people aren't going away on holidays, electronic goods such as new video game consoles are hard to find and people are saving on general things such as drycleaning, petrol and eating out, LEGO is a big beneficary. 

Windmill just reached funded status to finish second and Venetian Houses have pulled into third position with the bowling alley (which is my favorite set for this round) falling into a close fourth.  

I added Lego store and aquarium to my prior orders so I can have what looks to be a complete group of 5 for round two.  

I like the calendar and the scenes are a great idea but I don't know where I would store them all when not in use so for the price I think I will pass even if it pulls into the fifth slot.

I also like the ruined house but it is priced so closely to the Venetian houses that the two are set up to go head to head with each other.  With that matchup, the popularity of the modular theme probably steered many toward the Venetian set; it did for me.

2 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Four funded. Which will be the fifth? Aquarium or Seasons in Time Calendar? Come on Calendar!

I estimate it is 600 preorders behind. That's going to be hard to make up based on the price point. 

Btw, if I have pre-ordered four funded projects and one unfunded, can I pre-order the other funded project?