Another Brick In The Wall

Bricklink Designer Program 2021 Discussion Thread

Lego Shop Modular arrived after initially being delivered to a completely different street despite shipping box having two perfectly legible address labels. Nice person who received it walked it over herself. Unbelievable!

Ok. So tonight I will start building this Venetian Houses set. I got Red Bull set aside to assist me, and I’ll keep an open mind to “missing pieces” maybe being in the next numbered bag ?

I did open the set, it comes with an inside box for extra strength (and that obviously didn’t work too well 😉), and bags numbered to 17; most of them having around three bags per number…

I’ll let you know how it goes… 🤞

4 hours ago, Wimmer said:

Ok. So tonight I will start building this Venetian Houses set. I got Red Bull set aside to assist me, and I’ll keep an open mind to “missing pieces” maybe being in the next numbered bag ?

I did open the set, it comes with an inside box for extra strength (and that obviously didn’t work too well 😉), and bags numbered to 17; most of them having around three bags per number…

I’ll let you know how it goes… 🤞

Yes, happens a lot pieces at the end or start of the bag opening step may be in the next/previous bag. (for these sets)

Edited by karmajay

So far so good. I’m now at the end of bag 9 out of 17; and the smaller building is up and the larger building footprint is started…

I’m liking all the detail, with the canals, the birds, the brickwork and the façade details and of course the roof. 

I got my aquarium set in the mail. Came in great condition. No issues this time! Yay!

Just a question: are the seals supposed to tell the unique number of the set? I have the Bowling Alley and Venetian Houses, which are numbered 2302 and 2402 respectively. However, I’ve seen a lot of sets on sale with the same numbers?

2 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Just a question: are the seals supposed to tell the unique number of the set? I have the Bowling Alley and Venetian Houses, which are numbered 2302 and 2402 respectively. However, I’ve seen a lot of sets on sale with the same numbers?

Correct. My Venetian Houses has number 23O2 on the tape tabs. I think they are more a packaging date indication then a “serial” number…

Here is an explanation I found on other eurobricks forums…

The first two numbers are the week of the year…
The letter is the Country of packing (O is for Billund, Denmark)…

The last number is the last number of the year of production. So a 2 means 2022

Edited by Wimmer
Explanation added.

Has anyone built the Modular LEGO Store yet? Do you like it? At the time I thought it was the wrong scale and a bit plain, but hoped that it would grow on me, as I like the detailing of the facade at the top. But it doesn't look like it has much in the way of interesting techniques. And having now watched a video review and can't say I'm impressed, so considering selling it, especially as it's going for $450+. I could get 10305 for that, which feel much more impressive and entertaining. Can anyone tell me that I'm wrong and it's actually great fun?

We have NOT built ours yet. TBH though we almost never open modulars once we display them. We just like to display them cause they were built and look cool. The Lego Store seems to be in the same ballpark. I guess worst case you can just use the online instructions to buy the pieces and build it that way if you are more interested in the castle.

New Bricklink Designer Program launching in 2023, with sets releasing in 2024. Looks like it will be up to five sets in each round, with up to 20,000 sets available of each that make the 3,000 minimum.

Designer Program [BrickLink]

Open to any new designs. They're hoping for up to three rounds per year.

Designer Program FAQs [BrickLink]

They have now started with Shipping. I received an email that 1 of 3 products I ordered has been shipped.

The new series of sets to vote from are pretty poor imo. The only one that seems well made to me is Brickster’s Brick Cross. And even then, it’s just in the modular format. There are so many more of his I would have rather voted for.

Don’t think I see a single one I would vote for nor buy.

That vote site is quite unresponsive, takes a while for a vote to save.

Edited by TeriXeri

LEGO really should have kept it Ideas rejects because at least most of those were something. These.... Nope. Also 400 things to look through. Another nope.

Edited by Maple

Not really a huge fan of going through 375 submissions, especially not since only 5 will make it and loads of them are rather 'meh'.

^this, especially when the voting process is a total pain. They need a more user friendly way to do the voting if this continues. 

On 3/7/2023 at 2:11 PM, Modal said:

The new series of sets to vote from are pretty poor imo. The only one that seems well made to me is Brickster’s Brick Cross. And even then, it’s just in the modular format. There are so many more of his I would have rather voted for.

Don’t think I see a single one I would vote for nor buy.

100% agree. The last three rounds of rejected Ideas sets are much better than anything being voted on IMHO.

I was just charged for all five Series Three sets. US Shipping soon!

80% of the current entries should not have been approved. I voted for just 13 of the 375+.

Had a look at the submissions and rated all of them with an estimated rate of 90% 'not for me'. There are a few decent buildings and modular buildings that I liked. Only three sets got a 'love it':

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-1/224/The-Old-Train-Engine-Shed

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-1/7/Sheriff’s-Office---Wild-West

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-1/344/glass-studio

5 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

I was just charged for all five Series Three sets. US Shipping soon!

80% of the current entries should not have been approved. I voted for just 13 of the 375+.

My series three sets have also been charged, and I've has shipped (also in the US).

I don't think that the new program has had any filtering so far, so it looks like 375 have been submitted, and we're doing the equivalent of the 10k boring round now.

I also voted for a relatively small number, but couldn't bring myself to vote any as not for me. It feels too negative given the effort that had gone into them.