Another Brick In The Wall

Bricklink Designer Program 2021 Discussion Thread

Modular Construction Site is more impressive than a number of recent "official" Modulars.   It drips with that classic late '00s Lego Modular spirit that is kind of embodied in TLM1's visual style.   It will be near the top of my list.

Edited by CopperTablet

On 12/31/2021 at 12:30 AM, Paperballpark said:

The build is not helped by the worst instructions I've ever seen in a (semi-official) Lego set.

Wow, you weren't joking. They were terrible. (Still think I did the wings wrong...)

Also, for the North American version they seem to have at least fixed the "part 6 parts in bag 7" problem, though I took ages trying to figure out where the extra pieces from bag 3 were supposed to go.

Nice looking set at least!

3 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

I visited the site again; I just cant get motivated by any of the entries this time. However, my prediction for the first five four to reach 3000:

1. 1950s-Diner
  2. Modular-Construction-Site
  3. Winter-Chalet
  4. Mountain-View-Observatory

Yes, only four make it this time. 

Where are you seeing four? I still see the following message on the program page.

LEGO® Ideas Projects: Round 3

Pre-order and support your favorite design today! Only the first five designs to reach 3,000 pre-orders will be produced.

If it is four, then yikes. That stinks for the designers when all other rounds had five produced designs.

I'm surprised the train station looks like it will be one of the first to get funded - I figured the price would be a deterrent.

Winter Chalet is 1st to pass the 3k mark.

@mvLego I think they are predicting that only 4 make it to 3k which is doubtful.

Edited by karmajay

20 minutes to get five funded. Impressive. So sad for some of those that didn't make it, as I really appreciate the ideas. Something of a shame that they weren't put through the LEGO QC process to simplify where appropriate and maybe keep the costs down.

I hope that they continue this in the future with other rejected Ideas submissions.

Brickwest Studios didn't make it?! Aww, what a massive bummer. I really wanted that one.

Weird how the Chalet is the most popular set. I was sure it was gonna be the least popular.

EDIT: I just looked through the Chalet pictures and realized it's minifigure scale and includes minifigs. At a glace I thought it was slightly too large for minifigs. Now its success makes a lot more sense. It's basically a Winter Village set.

Edited by Alegrispa

Congrats to sdrnet, BrickyBricks82, pix027, ThomasW_BL, and ryantaggart on successfully navigating Round 3 of the Bricklink Designer Program.   There were some really spectacular designs this round and the rapid success we see here makes sense.   I bought one of these designs and wish I could have bought three but the economy's a bit of a question mark right now.

I think all five could hit the 10,000 max at the end of the period: Chalet definitely will.

Edited by CopperTablet

1 minute ago, Alegrispa said:

Brickwest Studios didn't make it?! Aww, what a massive bummer. I really wanted that one.

Weird how the Chalet is the most popular set. I was sure it was gonna be the least popular.

I'm more surprised about Working Waterfall. Winter Chalet was the only one I ordered, but I the waterfall was the second most tempting set for me.

I was hoping for Space Troopers, but I guess this saves me $200 to spend on the real old-school Classic Space sets, or something.  I think Space Troopers would have done a lot better if the renders had shown off the features better.  But they were too small, too blurred with simulated camera optical effects, and too statically posed to really show off all the cool features of the set.  The description mentioned rotating engines - why didn't the renders show them?  Why weren't there any decent close-up renders of the various modules attached and detached, or of the interior of the cockpit?  The price-per-part ratio was just fine.  The physical size of the set was just fine.  It was loaded with play features and it looked kind of goofy, but that's ok.  But it was a real hard sell because the pictures were just bad.

The Big Four in-house genre themes are Space, Castle, Pirates, and Bionicle.  Pirates didn't come up in the Bricklink Designer Program because of Barracuda Bay and the Creator pirate ship in 2020, so Pirates fans were already satisfied.  Castle fans came out for Castle in the Forest.  But Bionicle and Space fans didn't really back their horses once the starting gun went off.  Castle for the win!

I think the 3 sections of this contest really show that people like "modular style" (please notice the quotes!) and reiterated why so many of that style reach 10k every round.

Welp, I did it. I ordered all of them because of FOMO. I will probably end up cancelling most, if not all because I do NOT have that kind of money. Or impulse control.

Altough the Observatory is pretty nice. That may be the only one I'll get. But because the market is so f***ed right now I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to open it. For that same reason I can't bring myself to open the canopy of my UCS Slave I. 200 frickin bucks for a single piece. I hope TLG re-releases that piece soon, so I can just open mine and finish the damn model!

Edited by Alegrispa

I ordered the 1950's Diner and the Modular Construction Site at 10:00am on the dot. They were the two I really wanted. Ordered the Chalet later because...why not.

I wish Studgate wasn't so ugly, I'd really like to support a train station...

I don't know if other countries had the same but some were under priced for UK users, the Observatory was £180 but got changed to £246 once the threshold was reached. No wonder it sold so fast. But what price will they charge on dispatch?

Edited by MAB

Hey guys,

I have question about order. I ordered Train station (or at least I hope I did). I was on ordering page (as usual) and confirmed adress, shipping method and tried to pay. Two times it did not work by card, so I decided to use PayPal (I have acc there, but I ordered first time by Paypal on Lego site.) I´ve got confirmation in email from Paypal and on PayPal site I see "pending" status, with info that it will be charged when lego completes my order.

Anyway on Lego site I dont see any new orders as I see when I do it by card pay.

Is this normal and Im panicking without any reason or should I do something about it?

Thank you for your responses!

And also Im glad that all funded sets are mainly from Town theme. :pir-love:

Can't quite believe how quickly they've sold out. This was even faster than the other rounds. Maybe the round 1 sets getting out made more people aware of the program.

^^ LEGO's order system is often 15-60 minutes behind. Probably much worse today given they've just taken another 50000+ orders.

Woah, another thing I was wrong about. I assumed this round wouldn't sell out due to the high prices. 4 out of 5 on the first day!

Probably a lot more resellers than last time, though hopefully also just more regular fans.

I wonder why the modular construction site is the last one to sell out. I expected that to be at the top of the list because modulars. Curious.

11 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I wonder why the modular construction site is the last one to sell out. I expected that to be at the top of the list because modulars. Curious.

Because people like the other sets more.

That's simple. :pir-huzzah1:

I wish they would sell the instructions for the projects that didn't make it. At least the fan designers can then get something for their effort and supporters can still try build those sets by sourcing their own bricks. This was in the initial terms which this program first launched but they took it out when the program changed to the current 3 round structure instead of just one round for all.

Anyway, I think this is a great program to give those unapproved ideas a second chance and hope that they will run it again sometime in the future. Especially looking forward to all those gorgeous unapproved modulars over the last few review rounds.

2 hours ago, chill9394 said:

I wish they would sell the instructions for the projects that didn't make it. At least the fan designers can then get something for their effort and supporters can still try build those sets by sourcing their own bricks. This was in the initial terms which this program first launched but they took it out when the program changed to the current 3 round structure instead of just one round for all.

Did you miss that you can get the instructions for free here?

12 minutes ago, CastleRail said:

Did you miss that you can get the instructions for free here?

Those are the instructions for the projects that made it.

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

While I also expected the modular to finish higher:

Winter Village-fans and train-fans can explain two of the others.

The diner was considerably cheaper than the rest

The obeservatory was "on sale" so for most people it was considerably cheaper than expected.

The construction site was pricier than any of the official modular sets, but I'm not quite so sure it's more appealing.

Edited by Straiter
added half of a sentence

7 hours ago, Maple said:

Because people like the other sets more.

That's simple. :pir-huzzah1:

Well, yes. But just curious given that the LEGO store in the previous round sold very quickly, but it's not to the same scale as the regular modulars. Whereas this one is.

3 hours ago, Straiter said:

Those are the instructions for the projects that made it.

While I also expected the modular to finish higher:

Winter Village-fans and train-fans can explain two of the others.

The diner was considerably cheaper than the rest

The obeservatory was "on sale" so for most people it was considerably cheaper than expected.

The construction site was pricier than any of the official modular sets, but I'm not quite so sure it's more appealing.

Yes, true. More expensive, because it's larger, but maybe doesn't have the refined detail/charm of a standard set that packs in a lot in a smaller package.