Another Brick In The Wall

Bricklink Designer Program 2021 Discussion Thread

Round 2 stuff I would purchase (No particular order) :

Mountain Windmill

Retro Bowling

Lego Modular

Ruined House

Clockwork Aquarium

Have people had any status updates on their original orders from the first round (specifically, the Castle in the Forest)? Before they expanded the first round, I thought I remembered reading that orders would be processed in September.

I'm asking because I was one of the people who ordered using Paypal instead of a credit card. I was able to get my payment changed on the phone, but I'm curious to see if there should be any updates on my order or if no news is good news.

For what it's worth, my order still says "In Process."

Bricklink has announced that the 2nd round will start November 9th and has published prices for the sets.

After seeing the prices (I'd have liked the Seasons in time calendar), I have to say that I'm out for this round. That's just too much for me.

25 minutes ago, Greshi210 said:

Bricklink has announced that the 2nd round will start November 9th and has published prices for the sets.

After seeing the prices (I'd have liked the Seasons in time calendar), I have to say that I'm out for this round. That's just too much for me. 

Here's the link to the announcement and prices.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/community/newsview.page?msgid=1309695

Seasons in Time looks great, but at $250, I'll have to reevaluate if I'm getting it.

Mountain Windmill is still tempting, but I wish there were more than two pictures of it.

While they're very expensive, that's likely because they sets in this round are that much bigger (in terms of piece count) than the last round. The price per piece is pretty consistent at about 0.08c per piece.

Castle in the Forest $179.99 1973 $0.091
BIONICLE® Legends $119.99 1573 $0.076
Great Fishing Boat $129.99 1606 $0.081
Sheriff's Safe $49.99 578 $0.086
Kakapo $79.99 1062 $0.075
Particle Accelerator $99.99 1500 $0.067
Pursuit of Flight $54.99 540 $0.102

(Average $0.083 per piece)

Mountain Windmill $179.99 2085 $0.086
Modular LEGO Store $179.99 2149 $0.084
Seasons in Time Calendar $249.99 3010 $0.083
Retro Bowling Alley $229.99 2779 $0.083
Brickwest Studios $279.99 3741 $0.075
Ruined House $299.99 4002 $0.075
Clockwork Aquarium $64.99 874 $0.074
Quest Builder $259.99 3415 $0.076
Science Adventures $35.99 414 $0.087

(Average $0.080 per piece).

I wonder if these will be as popular as the first round, given that they are so much more expensive. Will they sell out in the first few minutes, or even at all?

16 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

While they're very expensive, that's likely because they sets in this round are that much bigger (in terms of piece count) than the last round. The price per piece is pretty consistent at about 0.08c per piece.

Of course, you're right and I didn't want to suggest that for this round set prices have been raised. It's just that for me 250$ are too much. I'd much rather use that amount to buy some nice HP sets or next year's modular and something more.

46 minutes ago, Greshi210 said:

Of course, you're right and I didn't want to suggest that for this round set prices have been raised. It's just that for me 250$ are too much. I'd much rather use that amount to buy some nice HP sets or next year's modular and something more.

Yes. Totally fair. It's a shame that the other sets aren't available to build yet, or there are reviews of the sets in this round before thinking whether these are worth the cost. Are the MOCs as stable as you'd expect from a standard LEGO set. I know they've been through testing, but we don't know what that testing entails.

And again I agree. I ordered the fishing boat and Pursuit of Flight and I'm not sure how stable the fishing boat in particular will be. I'm also mildly interested in the aquarium in round 2, but I watched the 'designer video' and now I'm a bit uncertain whether it works well enough for me to buy it.

The prices seem fair with part count and sizes. Of course the prices may affect which ones get through. I think I'll def be getting the aquarium, Lego Store and Bowling Alley. I'd like to get the windmill and and ruined house also but that goes on my 2nd tier wants.

The prices are crazy high. Yes, the piece counts are consistently higher also. I think that will be a problem for most people. Too bad they didn't have more of a range of high/low priced sets vs a whole bunch of higher priced sets in one round.

I was interested in the Brickwest Studios, but at $280 I'm out. And it looks like round 3 I have no interest, so looks like this year was a bust for me. Missed out on the castle because the website wouldn't let me in, and now high prices across the board. Meh, what are you going to do?

2 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

The prices are crazy high. Yes, the piece counts are consistently higher also. I think that will be a problem for most people. Too bad they didn't have more of a range of high/low priced sets vs a whole bunch of higher priced sets in one round.

I was interested in the Brickwest Studios, but at $280 I'm out. And it looks like round 3 I have no interest, so looks like this year was a bust for me. Missed out on the castle because the website wouldn't let me in, and now high prices across the board. Meh, what are you going to do?

I agree. While there's a couple I'm interested in, I've eliminated a few from purchase. I'd be curious if the prices change what the top 5 will be - especially if the 2 cheapest ones will have more likelihood now. Science Adventures is now a near must for me in this one. It's difficult to spend $300 on one set that has neither no reviews and site unseen. 

I'm planning on 2 right now but still debating. 

1. Mountain Windmill
  2. Science Adventures

My new guesses for ones that pass

1. Mountain Windmill
  2. Science Adventures
  3. Brickwest Studios - my guess it's not as solid due to price
  4. Seasons in Time - my guess it is less likely due to price,
  5. The Clockwork Aquarium OR Lego Modular (Both moved up on my list of possibilities due to price)

I suspect Ruined House now won't make it. It's dead last now with Quest Builder for my interest. 

On 10/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, danth said:

How are parts sourced for these sets? Does Lego crank them out to order?

Considering LEGO owns Bricklink, I'd assume LEGO is producing parts. That's why they also don't have new prints for figures/pieces and are using stickers or existing figures. They likely have the inventory for the pieces and with a limited supply they can allocate the proper factory work to produce the sets and be done with it. Unlike other sets that may require a longer production time since they are higher volume than 5k (or 10k for some sets). Also, why a lot of the sets aren't being released until January and June of next year even though they were sold this past summer.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:35 AM, TheLegoDr said:

Considering LEGO owns Bricklink, I'd assume LEGO is producing parts. That's why they also don't have new prints for figures/pieces and are using stickers or existing figures. They likely have the inventory for the pieces and with a limited supply they can allocate the proper factory work to produce the sets and be done with it. Unlike other sets that may require a longer production time since they are higher volume than 5k (or 10k for some sets). Also, why a lot of the sets aren't being released until January and June of next year even though they were sold this past summer.

Yeah the parts are being sourced from LEGO themselves. It's only existing parts currently in production which is why there's no parts in new colours or new prints, it's either stickers or existing prints. Source: Me, I'm the designer of the Seasons in Time one

36 minutes ago, WetWired said:

Yeah the parts are being sourced from LEGO themselves. It's only existing parts currently in production which is why there's no parts in new colours or new prints, it's either stickers or existing prints. Source: Me, I'm the designer of the Seasons in Time one

Love your work! And the Seasons in Time set is excellent. The expanded set of vignettes is superb. I hope it gets through.

2 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Love your work! And the Seasons in Time set is excellent. The expanded set of vignettes is superb. I hope it gets through.

Thanks, there's actually 1 less vignette than the original ideas project. I removed easter. Also the ideas project the plan was to reuse parts between the seasons, halloween and christmas, so you'd just take away and add parts to the same scene the the seasons changed, but when I asked the bricklink team how do "take away" parts in the instructions they said don't bother, just give them all the parts to build all the scenes at once. I did the math and figured I could make more varied and unique scenes instead for less parts than if I was to have the same scene, so I did that instead. It may look like there's more than in the ideas project but there's just more variety now. 

2 hours ago, WetWired said:

Thanks, there's actually 1 less vignette than the original ideas project. I removed easter. Also the ideas project the plan was to reuse parts between the seasons, halloween and christmas, so you'd just take away and add parts to the same scene the the seasons changed, but when I asked the bricklink team how do "take away" parts in the instructions they said don't bother, just give them all the parts to build all the scenes at once. I did the math and figured I could make more varied and unique scenes instead for less parts than if I was to have the same scene, so I did that instead. It may look like there's more than in the ideas project but there's just more variety now. 

Oh really? I thought I saw the early version with fewer, but I am clearly wrong. Either way, still great end product. I saw your interview on Beyond the Brick talking about the interchangeable scenes. Really interesting.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:52 PM, RichardGoring said:

Oh really? I thought I saw the early version with fewer, but I am clearly wrong. Either way, still great end product. I saw your interview on Beyond the Brick talking about the interchangeable scenes. Really interesting.

Probably because the original shared the same "scene" but changed for some of the seasons and holidays. It made it look like there was less than there was. 

Brickwest Studios has now been moved back due to the accidental shooting on the movie set of Rust.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Brickwest Studios has now been moved back due to the accidental shooting on the movie set of Rust.

But it looks like the Venetian Houses have been brought forward in it's place. 3470 pieces for $290.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/designer-sets-for-adult-fans-of-lego/215680/Venetian-Houses

No interior photos of it yet though. I hope they release some before Nov 9.

Just got reminder email that round two opens up on November 9th at 12:00pm PST / 9:00pm CET.

If I had to pick the set I think is by far the least likely to pass through it would be Quest Builder. 

I don't know how much the lower pricing will help but science adventures is the second least interesting set to me personally and while I like the aquarium concept I would rather get something more substantial through this program.

My favorite options in order are: bowling alley, windmill, Venetian homes, ruined house, Lego store and seasons in time