zinnn

King Kahuka's mouth

Ok, this has been bothering me since I was a kid, and I still cannot unsee it.

When looking at King's mask, where is his mouth?

Is it the 'O' round shaped hole below the nose?

bUUiqvV.jpg

Or is it the super wide smile?

DDumpK2.jpg

I always go with the smile option, but my brain tells me it's just badly molded nose :P

Is there a way to officially confirm this?

Edited by zinnn

5 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

It's a mask, so maybe it doesn't have an actual mouth? 

EKight

masks can have carved mouths as well :pir-laugh:

I have always seen a smile like you do but since I own the enchanted island set and the different objects (shield, sail etc) with the King's face, I think the intentional face is the "o" one

It bugs me a lot :pir-laugh:

8 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

It's a mask, so maybe it doesn't have an actual mouth?

This is what I always assumed... the mask doesn't actually have a mouth.

It's also been assumed the Indigo Islanders were  inspired by Polynesian cultures... BUT exactly which real-world culture(s) have masks anything like Kahuna's? 

Maybe if we establish the direct cultural inspiration, we can further determine whether the mask is intended to have a mouth or not.

Here is a side-by-side comparison by Noriart of the recent Tribal Warrior and Kahuna... the newer minifig seems a lot more grounded in reality whereas Kahuna is more fantasy.

image.png

I usually saw the mask as not having a mouth - the circle seemed to me as a consequence of the molding process (don't know if that's true) and I saw the smiley ridge as just part of the decorated engraved lines, as around the eyes. But looking at the shields and sails, the circle is so prominent that it seems obvious that it is supposed to be the mouth.

Why not a sticker with a toothy grin, similar to the newer version, which would have hid the sprue mark, but was canceled by Lego late in development, as was often the case back in the day? :pir-wink:

Edited by kurigan

21 hours ago, CaptainMoore said:

:pir-laugh: This is horrible,  and hilarious! :pir-laugh:

Oh come on, it can get much worse :pir-wink:

0820211746a.jpg

18 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Ok, issue resolved. We can now close this topic.

:pir_laugh2:

It's not that bad, though I did just throw it together. A bit of double sided tape and some printer paper, then just draw it on.

It's funny that this just came up again, though, as I kept this setup all these years.

Spoiler

0820211747.jpg

Cheers! :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by kurigan

20 minutes ago, kurigan said:

It's funny that this just came up again, though, as I kept this setup all these years. 

Is that red thing a propane tank? :pir-oh:

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Is that red thing a propane tank? :pir-oh:

Yes :pir-grin: It's cheaper in the long run since they just do this for the tourist anymore :pir-wink:

2 hours ago, kurigan said:

Yes :pir-grin: It's cheaper in the long run since they just do this for the tourist anymore :pir-wink:

It's much safer to use one of these...

image.png

This is quite the thread!  I always considered the round hole to be the mouth, but definitely saw the oversized smile as well.

@kurigan's representation is both humorous and historically plausible!

On 8/14/2021 at 8:47 PM, Mister Phes said:

This is what I always assumed... the mask doesn't actually have a mouth.

It's also been assumed the Indigo Islanders were  inspired by Polynesian cultures... BUT exactly which real-world culture(s) have masks anything like Kahuna's? 

Maybe if we establish the direct cultural inspiration, we can further determine whether the mask is intended to have a mouth or not.

Here is a side-by-side comparison by Noriart of the recent Tribal Warrior and Kahuna... the newer minifig seems a lot more grounded in reality whereas Kahuna is more fantasy.

image.png

Maybe the King Kahuka mask was based around Iroquois masks rather than or as well as masks from the Pacific islands or other natives?  There are also plenty of historical references for wooden masks from Africa, though they are both somewhat distinct in style and not as fitting for the original "Pirate" reference.
(This still does not conclusively answer the question of King Kahuka's mask mouth... now I am also confused whether it is "Kahuka" or "Kahuna", though maybe the answer to this question depends on the region/nation/language where released?)
Examples of a couple Iroquois masks somewhat similar to Kahuka's (note 1st has large (tongue-out?) grin, 2nd has round mouth :pir-laugh: to further confuse the original question):
 https://masksoftheworld.com/iroquois-false-face-mask-2/
aaaMystrySolvd-1517.jpg

https://www.icollector.com/IROQUOIS-MASK_i23142292
23142292_2.jpg?v=8D2BD73E09DFC00