Murdoch17

Old fashioned 1920's house MOC with vintage Ford model A - finished 4/6/22

Ok, so this house MOC is actually a MOD of a MOC. It was taken from a set of Shrieking Shack instructions by JL.Bricks and heavily modified into a facsimile of 1920's-style house... or, at least it's close enough to work with a de-winterized Winter Village line and / or Hogsmeade Village Visit without snow. (set 76388) See this Rebrickable link to see what I modified it from. I added a flip-open back like in Medieval Market Village. (set 10193 - It's hard to believe that set is 13 years old!)

51985823222_9701b66c2a_z.jpg

The building was originally winter (and Harry Potter) themed, but it clashed way too much with my other buildings that way, as they aren't winter themed. Basically, it's a normal, non-Christmas house now.

51986891723_c857c98f22_z.jpg

The back of the house is a new design by me. I had to redo the roof from plates ands tiles (as it was originally shown) to slopes as it was too fragile.

51987119064_c36a2c2566_z.jpg

The lower floor features a coat rack, table w/ two chairs, and a steam heater borrowed from set 10185. (Green Grocer) Upstairs we have a bed (plus another steam radiator) with clock and framed map on the walls.

51986891743_a28910e81e_z.jpg

More details are in the back of the house, such a kitchen stove, couch, along a with a few more living room details. There is a model railroad upstairs as well.

51986828986_0aeae60411_z.jpg

This vehicle was originally inspired by @hachiroku's model of the staff car from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and can be found here in his photo-stream. The car can be seen above with all the furniture from the inside of the house. (This picture was taken before house construction started... I've broken enough reddish brown brick on this to just tear the innards out just for one picture!)

51964963653_bdb66bc083_z.jpg

Speaking of the car, here it is by itself.

51964981583_691265e405_z.jpg

inside view of the car. Seats one in front and one behind. (if you can get your fingers in there, that is!)

51965473440_d18169dd12_z.jpg

The rear view showcasing the spare tire as mounted on the trunk.

As usual, comments, questions complaints, and suggestions welcome!

EDIT 4/6/22: FINALLY, it's done! The house has been in-progress since August of 2021 and was starting to drive me crazy.

Edited by Murdoch17

Main post changed 8/16/21: I just added a rear to the house, and changed the color scheme around a bit. Pictures updated accordingly.

51376336518_ccb67494f9_z.jpg

Here is the original version in medium blue...

51382248736_01a1c2430b_z.jpg

compared to the new one with tan siding.

Thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

I like the way this looks, and the color scheme change is nice. The car is also a nice touch, the curvature on the back is well-built.

On 8/16/2021 at 5:54 PM, noahtheb said:

I like the way this looks, and the color scheme change is nice. The car is also a nice touch, the curvature on the back is well-built.

Thanks @noahtheb, but it has since been changed due to prohibitive prices on some of the needed parts.

51394497712_a0479ac3f9_z.jpg

This is how it look when bought, and parts finding from my own collection has knocked about $70 US off the price, down to about $80 from BrickLink. (There are some parts that will be ordered from Brick & Pieces that are not included in that price, due to being unsure of price / availability from LEGO direct at that point.)

The building was originally winter themed, but it clashes way too much with my other buildings that way, as they aren't winter themed. So here it is without the snowfall on the roof sections, and minus the Christmas decorations / snowman. Basically, it's a normal townhouse now, but can be quickly converted by slapping white tiles onto the roof / adding a decorated pine tree out front.

Thoughts everyone?

Slight bump:

51512027490_c69194cf65_z.jpg

(Here is the model that was rendered by my brother in Stud.io and uploaded by me.) I haven't given up on this townhouse model from August, with a bunch more parts found from my collection. However, the 1930's car's was swapped out for a dark blue '50's car (inspired by a @hachiroku build based on his Kingdom of the Crystal Skull army staff car) so the parts quantity went up some.

50849416863_5005ef2537_z.jpg

It will look similar to this one, but with slightly bigger wheels, light bley sidewall covers plus being in dark blue and not black.

51486083887_70c97ed352_z.jpg

The MOC is currently sitting at around $120 US for what you see. (plus the 9 newer parts not found in LDD I had to add manually to the Bricklink list.)

Thoughts?

I had to change (most of) the roof due to structural issues with how it interacted with the rear wall. I also added back the 1930's car as it will cost less to add the roof to an existing vehicle than buy all the dark blue.

51526267965_1396f7a505_z.jpg

See the 98% revised main post for a close up of all the new goodies!

All 981 parts found so far of the 1,500 total used on my Harry Potter / Polar Express house. Some have been pre-assembled into furniture and the car, but most of the parts are loose.

51611565191_b6ebd3cc8c_z.jpg

This includes a bag of two hundred reddish brown 1 x 1 bricks (modified, with one stud on side) just arrived a week ago from LEGO Bricks and Pieces.

Sorry for the bit of a bump: but progress has been made, with more to come!

51856645033_c667e1927d_z.jpg

I started this in August 2021, and as of yesterday I only have 115 parts left to go out of the grand total of 1,516 pieces. (most of which you can see in this picture above.)

51856559321_026f41e972_z.jpg

I ordered these 307 parts (six of a new bracket I couldn't get from Bricklink were added to it as well) from LEGO Bricks and Pieces yesterday for my Shrieking Shack MOD. The amounts and parts are shown above, and they should be here in about 4-6 weeks from now.

It's been almost six months since I started looking for parts, and this is the longest I've ever had a project sit around in a bin in parts unfinished. Thankfully, the end is in sight, with the remaining $20-ish worth of parts (shown in the first pic of this post) will be ordered as soon as I get my paycheck.

And that's not all, as I've recreated set 40532 (Vintage Taxi) and ordered those parts as of the January 30th.

51852227847_26057db3d9_z.jpg

I used Rebrickable's set inventory to get a parts list of set 40532 - Vintage Taxi, removed all the accessories (taxi stand, mini-fig, etc.) and changed the color of the yellow parts to several other colors to see what worked before settling on dark red. I was hoping to use official instructions to build it, (it was just a parts list at first, nothing but parts laid out in a grid in LDD) but decided I didn't want to wait for it while prices could go up and thus I reverse engineered it using only logical part placements from the list. I also used Brickset's review of the set for reference to things official LEGO pictures didn't give. Some parts are missing from the file due to LDD constraints, but all needed parts for this model have (mostly) been ordered or found in my collection... except one part type in black, of which I need six and is brand-new in that color.

51853269748_2b1e47b619_z.jpg

I changed the wheels to be something I already have in the same basic size, and the front grille to be a different style for reasons of cost saving and individuality. (If everyone else is going to have that one-piece front grille, why follow the crowd?) Doing something similar, but yet not the same was a goal in this entire car project to begin with anyway.

Thoughts on all these new developments?

FINALLY, it's done!

51985823222_9701b66c2a_z.jpg

The house has been in-progress since mid-August of 2021 and was starting to drive me crazy.

On 8/16/2021 at 5:54 PM, noahtheb said:

I added back in the original car you liked @noahtheb, as seen also below.

51964963653_bdb66bc083_z.jpg

More in-real-life pictures of the car (and a lot of the house!) have just been added to the first post as of today, April 6th 2022... nearly 9 months after I started finding parts.

The house and the car both look even better in real life! It definitely looks like the time spent on sourcing bricks paid off.

Way to stick with it and finish, looks great, congratulations on actually finishing too.

One thing I would probably change though, the 1x tiles on the outside walls, used to represent siding. I would discontinue them once I got to the roof line, I think because the ends of the pieces are squared off they don't look right on the gables. Just a thought, still looks great but is any moc ever truly finished?

On 4/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, noahtheb said:

The house and the car both look even better in real life! It definitely looks like the time spent on sourcing bricks paid off.

Thanks @noahtheb! It certainly took a long time to get all my ducks in a row with this project.

On 4/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Way to stick with it and finish, looks great, congratulations on actually finishing too.

One thing I would probably change though, the 1x tiles on the outside walls, used to represent siding. I would discontinue them once I got to the roof line, I think because the ends of the pieces are squared off they don't look right on the gables. Just a thought, still looks great but is any moc ever truly finished?

Thank you @Johnny1360! If I could change it, I would. Unfortunately, taking it apart in any capacity will shatter countless more brown bricks and I don't want to have to go through that again. If i could go back in time and change the entire design so there would be less brown that would be nice too...

1 hour ago, jaegerroughton said:

@Murdoch17 can you share it on bricksafe

Since, I purchased the instructions for the original front half from Rebrickable user JL.Bricks, (as you can see here, or as a picture below in the spoiler section. It's quite big, so that's why it's in there.) I feel that said purchase makes it impossible for me to share the file I modified from his model. Sorry @jaegerroughton!

Spoiler

1000x800.jpg?1637766030.8132436

Edited by Murdoch17