After seeing @Scoar Sonander's PRND gearbox in another thread, I was inspired to share an old idea of mine, used in my 1:7 Bugatti Chiron MOC.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

It is small, efficient, and heavy-duty (in certain bracings, not necessarily this mock-up one) , but is challenging to shift, does not lock out the gearbox in reverse, and does not allow the motors/engine to "idle" in Park.

The black axle extenders are input, the LBG axle is slid to shift, and the LBG axle extender is output.

800x600.jpg

Park has the 12T gear meshed with the blue and single-bevel 20t gears, which are rotating opposite directions, thus locking everything.

800x600.jpg

Reverse

800x600.jpg

Neutral

800x600.jpg

Drive

I hope you like this little idea of mine!

I think the gearbox idea is cool, but I don't like the shifter. The gear is free to shift around on the axle, that's not good. Why not put a liftarm on each side of the shifter gear to move it, instead of pushing the axle from its ends?

Gearbox pretty compact, but again, everything ruined then by switching mechanism, which will need lot of space.

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I think the gearbox idea is cool, but I don't like the shifter. The gear is free to shift around on the axle, that's not good. Why not put a liftarm on each side of the shifter gear to move it, instead of pushing the axle from its ends?

Yeah, I would probably do something like that if this were in an actual model.

In the model I designed it for, I got rid of the top row of 20t gears, and drove the 12t gear's axle with a sliding 8t gear. I then used a manual level system for shifting, which would be a lot more compact than a motorized system, I think.

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Or use something like this 

57515.png

20t gear between half liftarms.