Asper

[MOC] DB Class V60 Diesel shunter

Hello,

The DB class V60 was built more than 900 times in the 1950/60s and still can be seen on German rails.It's not the first LEGO model of this shunter, and I know many of them, so maybe some things look familiar. I wanted a smaller locomotive for the limited size of the average LEGO train layouts, and in Germany this engine is very popular so I decided to build my own.

3D printed coupling rod are from bricks-on-rails.de and there are some stickers - everything else is LEGO.

It's powered by a "WeDo 2.0 Medium" (bricklink name) motor. It took me a while to work out the small offset for the "sliding hood" (?) - it coveres a PU hub, so there is not much space for snotting.

51371849600_8aecfede13_b_d.jpg

51371849770_d077816a00_b_d.jpg

51371071648_e9b94f9a26_b_d.jpg

51371071618_41e3dd9aed_b_d.jpg

Puling a small train:

51365926344_dc333af0ff_b_d.jpg

Edited by Asper

Hi,

That's really nice! That small but detailed!

Two questions: no hub inside? The wheels are LEGO?

5 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Hi,

That's really nice! That small but detailed!

Two questions: no hub inside? The wheels are LEGO?

Thank you!

Wheels and coupling rods are from bricks-on-rails, There is a hub inside - that's why I had so much trouble with the hood. I will test your pybricks code from 1000Steine soon...

I will update the original post, so the link to bricks-on-rails is more prominent.

Edited by Asper

Hi,

24 minutes ago, Asper said:

There is a hub inside - that's why I had so much trouble with the hood.

Ah, incredible. But yes, there's a small grey line behind the left whell, the bottom of the Hub obviously. Do you have a picture from "inside"?

With my Köf III I had to mount the motor vertically....

Edited by Lok24

9 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Hi,

Ah, incredible. But yes, there's a small grey line behind the left whell, the bottom of the Hub obviously. Do you have a picture form "inside"?

With my Köf III I had to mount the motor vertically....

no real picture, but I started with stud.io to design this. So you can see the principle design:

800x522.jpg

Nice build!! One of my favorite locomotives. And motorized too *oh2*

Great rendition of this classic shunter. It fits the scale well, even with the design limitation you had with the motorization. I enjoyed watching this type of locomotive doing yard work when I lived in Germany.

I'd love to see the narrow gauge locomotive and car you created as well.

32 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Great rendition of this classic shunter. It fits the scale well, even with the design limitation you had with the motorization. I enjoyed watching this type of locomotive doing yard work when I lived in Germany.

I'd love to see the narrow gauge locomotive and car you created as well.

Thank you.

The narrow gauge locomotive and car are from my Odenwald Express

Lookin' great! One of my favorites, I eventually want to build one myself. What size of wheels did you use? With a diameter of 1250mm on the prototype, I find it tough to decide between M and ML - both are the wrong size.

Wow this is the best V60 I've ever seen in Lego. :wub_drool:

The skilful use of the new pieces and customized wheels makes it a masterpiece. :excited:

This locomotive is worthy of being exhibited in public ...excellent!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

11 hours ago, Amoreternum said:

Lookin' great! One of my favorites, I eventually want to build one myself. What size of wheels did you use? With a diameter of 1250mm on the prototype, I find it tough to decide between M and ML - both are the wrong size.

Thank you!

The locomotive is 8 studs wide, so M wheels with approx 3studs diameter fit better than L. But it's not a perfect scale model. I did not check at the end, but I think the loco is a bit too short. But it can handle the tight LEGO curves, fits the other out-of-scale LEGO rolling stock and still can easily be recognized as a V60.

A question:

I count overall length to 24 studs, and it looks like your buffer beams and magnets are fixed to the chassis. Based on own experience I would suspect problems, like loco buffer hitting wagon buffer when going through standard R40 switches ? 

What's your experience ?

Great little engine @Asper ... I just saw the real thing the other day at the station here in Bamberg. Highly recognisable. The V60 also seems to the prototype for the old LEGO set #7760

Great to see how LEGO train designs have developped over the years and fans like you and me and many others create LEGO MOCs even closer to the real thing.

7760_side-view.jpg

22 hours ago, Asper said:

Thank you.

The narrow gauge locomotive and car are from my Odenwald Express

Ah ha! I thought I'd seen rollblocks somewhere recently. Thanks for the reminder.

8 hours ago, Selander said:

A question:

I count overall length to 24 studs, and it looks like your buffer beams and magnets are fixed to the chassis. Based on own experience I would suspect problems, like loco buffer hitting wagon buffer when going through standard R40 switches ? 

What's your experience ?

It's close, but the buffers do not touch each other or the magnets. I tested R40 curves directly after/before R40 switches with the 2-axis tanker from 7939 when determining the dimensions. That's why the shunter is too short to be a real scale-model.

Probably there are problems with longer 2 axis wagons.

That's a very nice V60. Well done! For the scale you picked you managed a lot of detail and the shape is spot on from what I can see.

I started on a while back but abandoned it. Still on my todo list. Some day...