Seaber

Lego VIP Add On Packs

Hi, 

I'm expecting my first of two VIP Add-On packs to be delivered this morning, I've not seen a great deal of discussion around them, so if this is the wrong place to post this let me know. 

I'm not sure how many UK VIPs have been selected, but I'd be happy to post reviews and information about the sets when I get them if that's of interest to anyone? 

First up is the 40512 set - Fun and Funky. 

LEGO-40512-VIP-Fun-and-Funky-Add-On-Pack

They are trialling them in the UK. But it was selected invite only to a small number of VIP accounts.

This is great, I hope they will push the prices of some pieces down (pink pig - I'm looking at you)

On 8/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, MAB said:

Not many got the invite. You are a VVVIP! 

Oh nice one! 

On 8/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, 1963maniac said:

How do you get these?

I was randomly selected, then I got a chance to get up to two packs with any order from lego.com

On 8/12/2021 at 5:12 PM, zinnn said:

This is great, I hope they will push the prices of some pieces down (pink pig - I'm looking at you)

Absolutely! I reckon there is a chance the same packs will be released in future to other VIPs, there is a survey at the end for customer feedback which may change that though, idk. 

Sorry, I assumed I'd get a notification when I got a reply to this thread 😅 I'll try and make a video eview in the next few days. Bear in mind I've seen these go on ebBay for around £15-£20, the price at checkout is £8.99 (obviously minuses from total). Just in case you were thinking of picking one up! Happy to answer any questions in the meantime! 

I really hope more people can get hold of these. I really don't purchase enough through Shop@Home and the LEGO Store to have qualified for this "trail run" but I would love the parts selection in the Fun and Funky pack. The piggies and the coral parts are very appealing.

8 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I really hope more people can get hold of these. I really don't purchase enough through Shop@Home and the LEGO Store to have qualified for this "trail run" but I would love the parts selection in the Fun and Funky pack. The piggies and the coral parts are very appealing.

I don't often buy direct from Lego, the occasional BAM and a large set for points every now and then.i did buy the large Hogwarts set a week or two before being accepted, but didn't know these packs were being offered to customers who spent a lot in store or online.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, MAB said:

Not many got the invite. You are a VVVIP! 

I didn’t get an invite. I’m a VUP: Very Unimportant Person. :tongue:

On 8/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, Peppermint_M said:

I believe LEGO has been targeting those who neither buy lots nor nothing at all. I expect it’s testing the hypothesis that the packs encourage spending, and wants to know by how much more. If you bought almost everything anyway, this incentive wouldn’t encourage you to buy more - it couldn’t: you’re already at the top of the spending scale. And if you never buy anything, I imagine this incentive will not turn you into a high spender. So it makes sense that LEGO is aiming at the Goldilocks segment. 

Edited by AmperZand

I did make a video of this, but I cba to edit it so just sharing the screen shots if anyone is interested :tongue: I should be getting the codes for the next bags in about three weeks.

Screenshot_20210915-122430

Both bags. 

Screenshot_20210915-122444

Contents of one of the bags and a bag of smaller parts. 

Screenshot_20210915-122500

Everything from one copy of 40512. 

Screenshot_20210915-122810

The spare parts, according to extra pieces not in the Brickset inventory , its possible that a skate in each colour is spare, rather than one of each. 

Screenshot_20210915-122826

Minifigure parts, minifigure accessories, animals and a few nice other bits. 

According to Brickset, the trans orange scuba visor piece is unique. The leaf, helmet, skateboard wheels, pig, guitar, turntable, GITD head and 1x4 tile are listed as rare. 

There are 148 parts in 24 different colours. The pigs, two sizes of eyes and pineapples are printed. 

My overall thoughts are that for free, this is a pretty nice little pack of parts. Lots of interesting colours on some not so interesting pieces certainly makes them more fun, even though most won't be visible in any MOCs I make. The pigs are certainly a big plus, yet I wouldn't rush out to make a purchase at Lego just to get this specific free pack. It's certainly a nice bonus pack though. 

Looking at what is included in the Winter and Pirate packs, and hopefully the Halloween pack if it is another free gift, they look more promising. Hopefully I get the chance to get those and can share some images. 

There is definitely a varied selection in there although aside from the pigs there is probably not much I'd use. The selection is a bit random. It will be interesting to see what the cost is in terms of VIP points for these if they go forward with them. If it was 800 points so that pack or a fiver off, I'd probably take the fiver off. If there were no pigs, I'd definitely take the fiver off.

I don't normally buy at Lego store, because they normally don't have discount, however, in my region when they give you discount, it is given in a very silent way, you know it, then you know it, you don't know it, then you don't know it. I once caught their silent discount and bought a few copies of city skate park, for $15 each and a few copies of the new city tractor, for $10 and one copy of the new city police patrol boat, for $32. It was crazy.

As suspected, the next VIP Add on is the Spooky set. A lot of skeletons, lamps, witchy stuff and pumpkins look to be included. I managed to order both my packs this morning with no fuss, the previous pack would not update in the cart so looks like Lego has solved that problem. I left it a bit later to order this time though so hopefully they still have stock. This round of sets expires on 30/11.

1000x800p.jpg

20 hours ago, Chilis said:

Really hope these bags will be available in the norwegian S@H eventually..

I think the idea is they'll be available everywhere after the trail period, but there will be a questionnaire at the end of the trial which may influence distribution. Not sure how it will go but so far I'm happy with what's on offer 🙂

DSC_1882

They've arrived. I'll open one bag now, so everything you see if from just one pack. 

DSC_1884

Again, most parts are loose in the main bag with a little bag with smaller pieces. 

DSC_1885

Everything you get. 

DSC_1886

Spare parts. 

DSC_1887

Everything - but built up a bit. I have to admit I really enjoyed putting these parts together and trying to create little builds with limited parts, something I didn't experience with the Fun pack. As well as six skeletons having a party - there's one with a lightning blaster, one with a cookie, a witch one, one with a pumpkin for a head, one with a lamp and one with a teddy bear - I could make a small decorated pumpkin cart pulled by a winged duck creature, a frog choir, two eyeball snail things, a witch bust, a bear with a gun and an unappetising table of cookies and eyeballs. There was still another broom, lantern and spider on a web just for decoration. 

I think this pack is much better than the first. There are no unique parts, however the witches hat has only appeared in two Harry Potter sets so far and only 14 colours which is far fewer than the fun pack. However the contents are more fun and more useful, it seems more of these parts are based around minifigures animals and accessories than the last pack. It does have 20 odd fewer pieces. There are five printed elements, as well as the witches hat which may be dual molded (unsure). 

With the Spooky pack being relevant to Halloween, the next pack will probably be the snowy/winter pack. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the email when the next pack is available. 

48 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Artificial scarcity in the Minifigures theme. By invitation only products. ಠ_ಠ

Very odd

10 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Artificial scarcity in the Minifigures theme. By invitation only products. ಠ_ಠ

Sorry, I'm not sure what this means. 

Yeah, it's the winter wonderland pack next. Looks like there are parts to make snowmen and women and maybe some winter village builds. No minifigs like the skeletons in the last packs though. Some rare parts according to brick set but no rare ones. 

40514-1.jpg?202105100621

I got the two packs today, the selection is nice but not quite as good as the Spooky one IMO. 

_20211220_113100

It follows the same pattern as the previous two, there is a smaller bag inside the main bag with small parts. 

_20211220_113045

Apologies for the bad lighting in these photos, but is shows what you get. A lot of frosty colours like white, trans blue and opalescent. 

_20211220_112830

One complete bag. A slightly odd thing is you have multiples of two of everything (spare parts aside) apart from the plain white chicken, which is on its own. The Husky, pastry, blue hat and yellow 1x4 have printing. There are 139 parts, none of which are listed on Brick set as rare or unique, however the yellow 1x4, blue 1x2, diamond pieces and aerial pieces have appears in just 3 sets each. A brown carrot top, black 1x1 round stud with hole, gold star, flame piece and one of the newer gem 1x1s come as spare. Overall there are 13 different colours in the pack as well as the multicoloured dog and hat. 

_20211220_113127

A few small builds I managed to make using at least one of each part - a frozen pond, a winter village-like table with snacks, a wintery candelabra and two snowmen. Like the Spooky pack, this made me want to have a play about with the pieces, some thin the Fun pack didn't. 

Overall not as good as the last one in my opinion, but the obvious snowman builds, like the skeletons in the Spooky pack, were the thing that made playing around with the pieces fun. 

3 hours ago, MAB said:

The spooky one is a GWP now.

Not yet…

i just checked Lego S@H and there are two GWP sets right now - Castaay and NINJAGOsets. 

And I’m in USA, mind you, MAB.

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Not yet…

i just checked Lego S@H and there are two GWP sets right now - Castaay and NINJAGOsets. 

And I’m in USA, mind you, MAB.

It will add to your cart if you have $50 or more of items. It's not advertised though.