kbalage

[Building review video] 42126 Ford F-150 Raptor

After the preview and the prototype demo video here is my full detailed building review of the LEGO Technic 42126 Ford F-150 Raptor. This is a nice build but has some flaws and questionable design choices as well, so the overall feeling is quite controversial. Here are all the details:

Thanks for the nice review!

But I am not sure about how to get a 4WD into this size without losing the indipendent front suspension (upper pic). You need at least a 2 stud wider axle for this (lower pic).

Front-axle.png

Really enjoyable review - with your delivery you could talk about paint drying and still make it sound compelling.

I wonder if there's room to rework the front suspension using the technique from the Grove crane.

800x552.jpg

Very nice review. Although the set has nothing much to write home about IMO, your review is a joy to watch. 

Well, I can forgive the sticker-made headlights unless they also accompanied some parts like in Defender, even non-transparent tail lights but these... As for me, they are the apotheosis of human laziness. Who ever decided to "build" them like that in a such scale?!

Even not being a fan of this scale sets (I love the MOCs in such scale, but the sets are always empty for me) and this one hadn't interested me at all, now I just have strong anticipation to it :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

But I am not sure about how to get a 4WD into this size

If they finally would make new part - axle with that joint, like it was made allready, I think by @efferman, then everythng would fit.

Well, that's one more empty shell…
No 4WD in an "off-road" vehicle is a shame imo… (Or it's a Baja Truck, but this doesn't look like.)

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

how to get a 4WD into this size without losing the indipendent front suspension

You can alway use a McPherson strut. But this requires a brick built wheel holder.

Other than that, thanks for the review, even if there's not a lot to review :hmpf:

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Thanks for the nice review!

But I am not sure about how to get a 4WD into this size without losing the indipendent front suspension (upper pic). You need at least a 2 stud wider axle for this (lower pic).

I think it's possible with a floating differential setup, but it may require a different steering setup. 

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

If they finally would make new part - axle with that joint

Or a part like this:

Front-axle.png

8 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I think it's possible with a floating differential setup, but it may require a different steering setup

There are other solutions like the one from the @suffocation mentioned, but not really and elegant one.

1 minute ago, Jundis said:

There are other solutions like the one from the @suffocation mentioned, but not really and elegant one.

That would work too, but would require rerouting the engine power axle below the engine.

Thanks again for the review @kbalage. I appreciate your comparison to the other recent car sets.

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

I think it's possible with a floating differential setup, but it may require a different steering setup. 

Indeed, then you need to follow Pythagorean theorem to distance 3 studs from central axle line; link tread 6L but distance between holes us 5L which enables us to use 5L (5² = 25 = 4² + 3²).

I had this headache on my current project for months and as you can see in my topic but is not most elegant solution

Btw @kbalage nice and simple review. Really like the way you make short reviews with build modules and attach them together.

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

The way I would have expected Lego to do it would to build the axle two studs wider, and then gain it back by using new offset rims for those tires. Oh well...

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

and then gain it back by using new offset rims for those tires.

keep dreaming :)

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

keep dreaming :)

Hmm I think for the 43.2 rims, there is not enough space to get an offset with these steering hubs.

Thanks for the nice and detailed review!

The pricing is really irritating, as it looks like this set would be a great parts pack for someone wanting to expand their orange parts collection, but the pricing makes it hard to justify buying it as a parts pack.

As a set... well, the review probably said everything that needs to be said.

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed watching it. I agree with your conclusion: Defender over Raptor. We’ll see how the pricing will develop in Europe…

25 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed watching it. I agree with your conclusion: Defender over Raptor. We’ll see how the pricing will develop in Europe…

According to lego.com/fi the RRP in my country will be 169,95€. What a megablocking joke.

The model looks ok, but for a personal taste I don't like orange cars with black rims. Porsche, Corvette and now the Raptor: why Lego makes so many models orange with black rims?!

I guess metallic silver as the F1 silver arrow is too expensive or easy to damage.

I've certainly damaged 42104's "chrome" exhausts while playing with it. It crashed under a chair and got nasty pinstripes on the paint.
So durability I guess?

6 hours ago, GTS said:

I guess metallic silver as the F1 silver arrow is too expensive or easy to damage.

I've certainly damaged 42104's "chrome" exhausts while playing with it. It crashed under a chair and got nasty pinstripes on the paint.
So durability I guess?

If you are talking about the colour of the rims, I think light bluish grey works very well, like in many truck models. Or the metallic grey like in the Jeep Wrangler.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:43 AM, Jundis said:

Hmm I think for the 43.2 rims, there is not enough space to get an offset with these steering hubs.

You're right, there is no way it would fit. I doubt Lego feels like reviving the old version with the integrated towballs for steering (2013-2015, or so), but I think it could be made to fit if the rim were thin enough. I bet we'll see an offset rim of this size someday, since we already have ones for all the other major rim sizes, but it probably won't fit any drive/steer hubs.