spaceman76

Donnuttar Castle

In the year 1139, the Scottish King Cuthred lived in this castle and became his prior residence. His Kingdom was wast and streched along the northern coastline. Before he came to live in here, the castle was a part of a big defence plan, to ensure safety along the coast. During times of war, the walls were pretty worn and shows signs of decay. When the King moved in, he restored the walls and the house. 

The project has taken about 4 months to build. First the landscape plate, building in many directions to create the natural formation. The hexagonal towers was quite a challenge to make it fit and be strong. Especillay closing the gaps between each corner side. The towers are build in separate modules and can be removed. Next came the outer walls, the house and the wood floor. Finally the castle is done and I am proud to share it with you. 

Donnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar CastleDonnuttar Castle

Donnuttar Castle

Wow, so many SNOT techniques applied, even for the wooden floor! I love the diagonal stripes on the gatehouse, curious to know how you did it?

Great work on the tower corner connections, up to the battlements, where the 1x1 round bricks are connected. 

Only suggestion is may be a window or two on the back of the wooden house, and have two shades of green and two shades of grey for the landscape? What are the white tooth on the grass meant to represent? 

10 minutes ago, Wurger49 said:

Wow, so many SNOT techniques applied, even for the wooden floor! I love the diagonal stripes on the gatehouse, curious to know how you did it?

Great work on the tower corner connections, up to the battlements, where the 1x1 round bricks are connected. 

Only suggestion is may be a window or two on the back of the wooden house, and have two shades of green and two shades of grey for the landscape? What are the white tooth on the grass meant to represent? 

Thanks. The diagonal stripes on the gatehouse, is plates in angled position to get the tilt effect. At each end of those plates I put a cheese slope, where the angle on the slope should fit the wall next to it and minimize  the gaps.  It other words its nested to to fit tightly. On the backside of the plate structure I build a support wall to make sure it couldnt fall out. About the landscape colors, I will might chose some more variation. The dark tan tooth pieces are just some wild flowers.Thanks for your comment

Edited by spaceman76

Nice castle, though I’d be lying if I didn’t click on this expecting to see a model of the actual Dunnottar Castle in Scotland! 😂

4 hours ago, williejm said:

Nice castle, though I’d be lying if I didn’t click on this expecting to see a model of the actual Dunnottar Castle in Scotland! 😂

He he thanks. Well as a member af a castle club, I had to find a proper name for this build. Many of my other castle mocs, has either a title because of certain history and others are because of some kind of action taken place. I thought this name was kinda cool and not so known. 

Terrific castle!  The seams at the non-right-angle corners are terrific and match the stonework well.  I love the doors as well as the decorative wood above them.  The wood flooring is a wonderful detail.  Thank you for sharing your creation!

Brilliant work, there are so many great details overall, the door, the diagonal stripe pattern, the wooden floors and the masonry details, impressive build.

The symmetry of the towers leaving nearly no gap at the wall connecting points is impeccable! And so is the door with the more than clever use of the black HP wand sprues! The wooden floor (with the minor gaps) also is really great (and part intensive)!

Edited by blackdeathgr

What an amazing castle. I liked it immediately when I saw it front-paged, but a closer look revealed even more intricate detailing. Just to list a few, the tilted wood paneling above the entrance, the use of magic wand ''leftovers'' is perfect on the front doors, then the cracks on the wood floors. The landscaping works really well, the transitioning of various slopes looks natural in most places, perhaps only the transition from grass to rock is too clean (adding a cheese slope or a few plants might improve this). 

This is what the castle creator set was meant to look like!

And if I see that correctly, you have managed to build hexagonal towers. That is super impressive!

As others have said, this is super impressive! Great work. I loved the sprue-as-hinges so much I rushed over to bricklink to get some sprues in black!

5 hours ago, evancelt said:

As others have said, this is super impressive! Great work. I loved the sprue-as-hinges so much I rushed over to bricklink to get some sprues in black!

Thanks. Be carefull on buying them. Most bl shops have them mixed up in both the old and new sprue design. I asked the bl shop if he had the old one, even send him a picture, but I still got both types. Many dont bother, because the sprues are just left over.

17 hours ago, spaceman76 said:

Thanks. Be carefull on buying them. Most bl shops have them mixed up in both the old and new sprue design. I asked the bl shop if he had the old one, even send him a picture, but I still got both types. Many dont bother, because the sprues are just left over.

Thanks for heads up on this - I didn't realize there was a new mold out there! Hopefully the ones I ordered from two different sellers have at least 6 of the old ones between them :pir-huzzah2:

As someone who is working on a large Castle MOC at the moment to, I can appreciate just how much work and thought went into this spaceman76!

Thank you for sharing!

A couple of details things that I'm very impressed with for your build:

- You got the angled facets of the main towers to seam-up so perfectly, well done! + I also like the detailing of your parapets, crenulations and windows for those main towers.
- Lovely use of SNOT building in so many places for example the patterning on the gatehouse, and for your detailed walkways.
- Very outside the box thinking to use sprue parts for your gate hinges and detailing above the gate. A nice touch and good to see something new.
- And finally your rock-work/greenery is on point!!  Particularly with how well you've integrated it with the rear walls.  I'm wresting with the base for my build at the moment, it's not easy to get Lego parts to look random and yet flow and seem organic.

Edited by lenzie

The base look great.  I especially like the use of snot on the bottom and the slopes on top.  The use of the green, grey and brown slopes creates a great visual.  The castle itself has some nice texturing and great details especially the crenelations look wonderful.  Not sure if I like the wood for the top of the floors but that's just my personal preference, they do look nice though.  The framing on the building inside really stands out.  Great overall build.