Sign in to follow this  
Dammtuss

[MOC] Volvo XC90 Ambulance

Hi! I would like to share with you my latest build, the Volvo XC90 Ambulance. Or the fact is I built this a few months back, but never rendered any images of it. I've always thought that the Volvo XC90 Ambulance is a really good looking ambulance, so I wanted to try and build it with Lego. The model is built in roughly minifigure scale (1:35) and consists of 618 pieces (including all the gear and equipment). It was very much designed with playability in mind, and it features opening doors, opening rear hatch, a stretcher with folding wheels that can be slided in/out, easily removable roofs to access the interior and loads of storage for all the medical equipment. It seats two paramedics in the front, and two paramedics and one patient in the back.

51367993093_f5913d9511_c.jpg

I'm very happy that I decided to render some images of it, as it looks so much better then it did in the studio. I think that the reflective paint scheme works well, and I'm pleased with how the front came out (the Ice skate works very well as the Volvo logo on the grill).

51368781610_6773888936_c.jpg

51367011907_67d6e5ea6d_c.jpg

The Volvo XC-90 Ambulance is manufactured by Nilsson Special Vehicles in Sweden. The ambulance is used by the ambulance services in Sweden, Norway, Switzerland and the Netherlands. It’s based on the Volvo XC90 chassis, with the wheel base increased by one meter and with a added medical cabin made of light and strong carbon fiber. The XC90 Ambulance has a high ground clearance and is as standard fitted with a powerful 235hp engine, automatic gearbox and all-wheel drive (AWD) making it well suited for the harsh Swedish climate and capable of handling challenging road conditions. Another key advantage with the XC90 Ambulance is that it can be driven with a normal drivers license as it – even when utilizing its massive 700kg payload capacity – weighs in under 3,500kg. The ambulance was designed with ergonomic and accessibility in mind as to allow the paramedics to safely give the best possible care to the patient during transport.

51367993228_cb50ecb786_c.jpg

51367993098_74e80ab348_c.jpg

If you would like to see more images, or have a look at some of my other MOCs, please feel free to visit my Instagram or Flickr.

// Dammtuss (a.k.a. Björnbrorsan)

The use of that ice skate there is truly fantastic.  Having had a Volvo before, I know the design very well!

The overall look is brilliant, and so obviously an ambulance.  Every aspect of this is brilliant.

Also good to know Sweden uses their own companies for emergency vehicles!

The whole thing is just lovely, especially with how usable the interior is while still fitting it into a 7-wide design.  The shining little detail that jumped right out at me, however, was the NPU on the ice skate as Vilhelm22 noted!  Great build!  :classic:

Brilliant, the ice skate is especially well done and a great example of NPU, the spacioussness of the ambulance, considering it is a small build overall is very well achieved, as is the detail on the interior and exterior.

13 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

The use of that ice skate there is truly fantastic.  Having had a Volvo before, I know the design very well!

The overall look is brilliant, and so obviously an ambulance.  Every aspect of this is brilliant.

Also good to know Sweden uses their own companies for emergency vehicles!

10 hours ago, deraven said:

The whole thing is just lovely, especially with how usable the interior is while still fitting it into a 7-wide design.  The shining little detail that jumped right out at me, however, was the NPU on the ice skate as Vilhelm22 noted!  Great build!  :classic:

9 hours ago, Stuartn said:

Brilliant, the ice skate is especially well done and a great example of NPU, the spacioussness of the ambulance, considering it is a small build overall is very well achieved, as is the detail on the interior and exterior.

Thanks everyone! The front was probably the part that I spent the most time designing, so I'm very glad you all liked it. I tried many different options to try and replicate the Volvo emblem on the grill before I came up with this design using the Ice skate. :classic: As I already from the start knew I wanted to have a detailed interior with lots of playability, I'm very pleased with the actual amount of detail I was able to cram in to the build – the Panel pieces really was a lifesaver. :grin:

Even without the headline I recognized the typical Volvo desing immediately! I'm amazed that you were able to put this much of interior and functionality in this little space.
Really well done!

21 hours ago, -Broadside- said:

Even without the headline I recognized the typical Volvo desing immediately! I'm amazed that you were able to put this much of interior and functionality in this little space.
Really well done!

Thanks, really glad you found it so easily recognizable. :classic: I tried my very best to get as much detail in as I could and overall I'm happy with how much I was able to cram in – the one thing that I didn't which I really wish I had was to have the Paramedic sitting next to the patient facing forward as in the real ambulance, but it just wasn't feasible within the given space.