evancelt

[COR-FB] ETTC Warehouse, Black Beach

blogged.png

The East Terran Trading Company has established a warehouse in the Corlander settlement of Black Beach on Gunpowder Island. The island is distinctive because it has a volcano in the interior, resulting in black sand beaches. Gunpowder Island is rumored to have rich veins of copper and abundant saltpeter, which provide ample reason for the ETTC to express interest. While the settlement is still fledgling, ETTC clearly sees the importance of the future resources to be extracted.

black-beach-overall-1.jpg

The island is also rumored to be inhabited by hostile natives, so a complement of ETTC sepoys secure the facility.

black-beach-close-1.jpg

A soldier from the nearby Martello Tower brings a bag of outgoing mail to the warehouse, where it will ship out for Port Woodhouse.

black-beach-close-2.jpg

A friendly monkey helps stand guard.

black-beach-close-3.jpg

Edited by Marooned Marin
Blogged on Classic-Pirates

Wonderful!:pir-love: In the building I like the arches at the windows and the gate, the decorations, the roof ………. The landscape is also very well built, especially the water. I like the watchtower on the rock with the 2 monkeys, it looks fun. Sorry it's only 1 monkey, I didn't see it exactly because I wasn't wearing my glasses.

The pictures don't seem to be working for me any more? I saw the MOC on Flickr though and I got to say I love it! I like how you copied the Medieval Blacksmith's roof technique here. It works so well. The overall architecture of the warehouse is really well done too. I especially like the use of those panels and hinge bricks as decoration.

The trees look a bit sparse, but are a clever build nevertheless. And of course, it is always nice to see some sepoys.

6 hours ago, Khorne said:

The pictures don't seem to be working for me any more?

They are working for me this morning, guess there was a hosting hiccup in the night!

On 8/9/2021 at 4:11 AM, NOD said:

Wonderful!:pir-love: In the building I like the arches at the windows and the gate, the decorations, the roof ………. The landscape is also very well built, especially the water. I like the watchtower on the rock with the 2 monkeys, it looks fun. Sorry it's only 1 monkey, I didn't see it exactly because I wasn't wearing my glasses.

Only 1 monkey! :pir-grin: Thanks

On 8/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, Ross Fisher said:

A really lovely build. Well done! Those waves are perfect. 

Thanks! I started with a completely flat ocean so you could see the colors underneath, but the waves helped spice it up!

22 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Yog !!!

Wonderful one !

What a roof ! (spoilt rich brat ! )

And what a base, this dark beach is killer !

Thanks! The roof pentagons weren't that expensive - I think on average they were like $0.12 each across multiple Bricklink orders

6 hours ago, Khorne said:

I saw the MOC on Flickr though and I got to say I love it! I like how you copied the Medieval Blacksmith's roof technique here. It works so well. The overall architecture of the warehouse is really well done too. I especially like the use of those panels and hinge bricks as decoration.

The trees look a bit sparse, but are a clever build nevertheless. And of course, it is always nice to see some sepoys.

Thanks! I started with some additional bright colors of pentagonal tile in the roof (blue etc) but it was a little too crazy. So I stripped those out so it fit into the landscape a little more.

Ah - another variation on the never-tiring-topic: How do I build water?

I won't quite go with it, to me, at first glance, it looked more like ice (sorry to disappoint you) :pir-grin:

The building is fine, the walls are excellent. 

I've been anxious to see somebody try a black beach. You've done an excellent job! I would not have thought of using dark brown in the mix, but it really works.

I also like the wave effect, and those trees! Great piece usage. :thumbup:

On 8/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Ah - another variation on the never-tiring-topic: How do I build water?

I won't quite go with it, to me, at first glance, it looked more like ice (sorry to disappoint you) :pir-grin:

The building is fine, the walls are excellent. 

:pir-huzzah2: Not everyone can be pleased by everything :pir-sweet:

I really like the way you did the water on your tower with the 1x1 round plates, but plates inherently have a surface roughness to them that water doesn't always have. So it works in some situations and not others.

Here I was trying to highlight the colors under the trans-clear tiles and then later the cheese slope waves. I think using plates would have distracted from that. However, I could see accomplishing something similar with trans-light blue tiles and having it look more "watery" versus "icy"

18 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

Great addition to the ETTC!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

I've been anxious to see somebody try a black beach. You've done an excellent job! I would not have thought of using dark brown in the mix, but it really works.

I also like the wave effect, and those trees! Great piece usage. :thumbup:

Thanks! I looked at some pictures of black sand beaches on Google and they didn't actually look black, but very dark brown - which led me to that color selection. One other piece I had intended to use but didn't end up using was 1x2 grill tiles. I think they could look pretty cool on a rock face to mimic lava rock / pumice

Edited by evancelt

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

...then later the cheese slope waves. I think using plates would have distracted from that.

However, I could see accomplishing something similar with trans-light blue tiles and having it look more "watery" versus "icy"

I agree, plates are not an option here - I think the idea with trans-blue tiles would turn out nice. However, you will not be able to see the colours underneath so well.

I've been working on different variations for building water for quite some time now. 
I don't think I have found the perfect recipe yet. :pir-grin:

On 8/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I agree, plates are not an option here - I think the idea with trans-blue tiles would turn out nice. However, you will not be able to see the colours underneath so well.

I've been working on different variations for building water for quite some time now. 
I don't think I have found the perfect recipe yet. :pir-grin:

Perhaps there are different recipes for different ingredients and different tastes :pir-huzzah1:

4 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

I have never seen water done this way. That is MASTERFUL!!!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to experiment with, and I think it turned out well

EDIT: Thanks for the frontpage @Professor Thaum!

Edited by evancelt