Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Star - Mission#4: Dude, Where's My Space Speeder?

Yissam♥ hums along in tune with the music as she pokes her head around for any security cameras that face the direction of the parking lot.

1 hour ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin examines the speeder to the right.

Kirwin looks at the key device to see if the tracker is more precise now that they are at the location.

Moving to the right, Kirwin examines the speeder parked to the right of the building.

51373454315_4e0c35824d_o.jpg

The parked speeder looks old, the original sleek design having been modified with a newer, bulkier engine and heavy duty brakes. It hovers off the ground yet stays stationary, locked in place. A bright red toolbox is strapped to the side. Leaned up against the building is a pile of metal crates.

Checking the device on the key ring, the tracker is incredibly close by.

1 hour ago, CMP said:

Yissam♥ hums along in tune with the music as she pokes her head around for any security cameras that face the direction of the parking lot.

Perception Check (DC: 2): (3,4,6) Two Successes

Looking around the premises, Yissam♥ notices what does look like a spot where a security camera should be set up on the roof, looking out onto the parking lot. However, it does not seem to be there, the wires connecting it to the building exposed to the elements.

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

The parked speeder looks old, the original sleek design having been modified with a newer, bulkier engine and heavy duty brakes. It hovers off the ground yet stays stationary, locked in place. A bright red toolbox is strapped to the side. Leaned up against the building is a pile of metal crates.

Checking the device on the key ring, the tracker is incredibly close by.

Kirwin says "That speeder is neither blue or sleek but the tracker says it is close. I think Bers may have been right and they removed the tracker."

Bers is also visibly enjoying the music, almost visibly moving along a bit, as he turns his attention towards Kirwin

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg "What do you think friend Kirwin, could the tracker be pointing us towards this old bike? Is the high-tech prototype speeder perhaps camouflaged by this facade? This unit is neither qualified or equipped to judge or work with anything too technical."

As Bers is peering into the diner, he remarks.

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg "There are many suspicious looking fleshbags inside of the premises, perhaps threatening them with evisceration will help find Anthony's bike faster friends."

Still, he seems somewhat reluctant to go in, almost as if suffering from a bit of anxiety. Compensating this with threats of violence, perhaps.

Edited by Dutch Thriceman

Climbing back down, Yissam♥ nods at Bers.

"Fair guess! I was just on the roof; there used to be a security camera up there. I'm sure I can charm my way into getting a look at the security tapes. If it was ripped out before the crime, I doubt we'll find our culprit, but we may get some sort of clue!"

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg "Friend Yissam♥, good idea, perhaps we can go into the diner together."

Bers REALLY doesn't seem to want to enter the bustling diner alone for some reason

3 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

"What do you think friend Kirwin, could the tracker be pointing us towards this old bike? Is the high-tech prototype speeder perhaps camouflaged by this facade? This unit is neither qualified or equipped to judge or work with anything too technical."

3 hours ago, CMP said:

"Fair guess! I was just on the roof; there used to be a security camera up there. I'm sure I can charm my way into getting a look at the security tapes. If it was ripped out before the crime, I doubt we'll find our culprit, but we may get some sort of clue!"

Kirwin says "Interesting! If anyone wants to go inside I can search out here for the tracker and the missing security camera!"

Kirwin glances at the tracker "We also have the ability to honk the speeder horn. If we decide the speeder is not here or we are lacking clues we could initiate it! Heck we can initiate it now to determine if this is the speeder but it may garner some attention"

Spoiler

OOC: If others decide to go inside Kirwin will search the trash for the tracker/camera and use their tech skills to determine if the speeder is being camouflaged.

"Good work," Merei says vaguely to everyone. "If the speeder's tracker is close, that is good. It may not be in the speeder, or it may be." Merei clocks Bers enjoying the music and begins to hum along. "I would be happy to assist you, Kirwin, in attempting to figure out what happened to the camera. Perhaps taking a look at the wiring? I imagine that will be difficult, however. I am good at Aether, not the physical installation of objects. As such, I believe I will be better utilized inside. I can read people better than I can wires. And it'd be a good idea for me to keep an eye on things in there." She directs her gaze calmly at Bers, not in condemnation of the violence he threatens, but just... careful about it. "Let us step inside. Kirwin, join us when you are ready. I think you are right to follow up here."

Merei leads the group inside the diner while Kirwin stays outside, the jingling of a bell signifying their entrance.

51372678553_7c97dcdb5f_o.jpg

The music from outside continued as they entered, the source seemingly being a retro jukebox. Old guitars and records hang on the wall along with a few autographed portraits of celebrities from decades gone. The scent of sugary beverages and grilled food wafts through the restaurant. The comfortable looking baby blue booth seating was full up, with a blue haired human pilot talking to a pint-sized cricet on a booster seat in between bites of his sandwich. The other booth was occupied by a human in light armour talking to a valtar in stylish, colourful clothing. The valtar takes particular interest in the group as they enter. Approaching the group is a human woman wearing roller skates, the clattering of the wheels echoing through the diner as she stops in front of them.

51369481772_ecc916a452_o.jpg
"Hey! Welcome to the Red Comet. We're currently full up on booth seating, but if you want to take a seat at the bar I'll get to your order in a moment."

Edited by Kintobor

"It's a good thing you still have credits, Bers. I will have to remember this in the future, in case I need to buy some food." Merei says as she takes a seat at the bar. She lowers her voice, but keeps an eye on the other patrons, particularly the valtar. "I don't know what you believe would be the best approach. It comes to mind that Haast is a Menahi company. Given my lineage, it'd be easy to pose as a member of the company and see if that sparks any interest." She says Haast quietly, but she isn't sure how quiet - she watches to see if the valtar hears, and, if so, if it reacts in any way to the name.

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

"It's a good thing you still have credits, Bers. I will have to remember this in the future, in case I need to buy some food." Merei says as she takes a seat at the bar. She lowers her voice, but keeps an eye on the other patrons, particularly the valtar. "I don't know what you believe would be the best approach. It comes to mind that Haast is a Menahi company. Given my lineage, it'd be easy to pose as a member of the company and see if that sparks any interest." She says Haast quietly, but she isn't sure how quiet - she watches to see if the valtar hears, and, if so, if it reacts in any way to the name.

"Right this way!" The waitress, whose name tag has "Flo" engraved into the metal, roller skates her way to the bar and stands behind it, wiping it down as the group takes their seats. "We've got shakes, floats, coffee, tea, sodas: if you name it we probably have it on tap. No alcohol, just as a heads up. If you're hungry I can get you a menu."

Perception Check (DC: 1): (1,1,5) One Success

The valtar seems less interested in the group as a whole and more interested in Yissam♥.

51370469868_e76751da5d_o.jpg
"...I've seen her somewhere before..."

51371245710_c74339ffee_o.jpg
"Hm? Oh, small galaxy, isn't it? We can discuss where you've seen her before after we've gotten your registration form filled out."

The valtar continues to look at Yissam♥, her eyes squinting as she tries to put a name to the face, as the human sitting with her swipes through a holoreader on the table.

The cozy nostalgic atmosphere inside the bar puts Bers back at ease a bit, as he follows behind Merei and Yissam♥.

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg "*Hmm* These people don't look like the potential thieves, but appearances can be deceiving. I'll hang back until you need some brute force or help in persuasion friends."

As Bers says persuasion it seems he actually means intimidation as his eyes briefly flicker red again, however his general attitude has relaxed a bit.

19 hours ago, Zepher said:

"It's a good thing you still have credits, Bers. I will have to remember this in the future, in case I need to buy some food." Merei says as she takes a seat at the bar.

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg "No problem, this unit is happy to lend a few creds to a friend! Just let me know when you need some and just pay me back after the mission."

Kirwin will search the trash for the tracker/camera and use their tech skills to determine if the speeder is being camouflaged.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, Kintobor said:

"Right this way!" The waitress, whose name tag has "Flo" engraved into the metal, roller skates her way to the bar and stands behind it, wiping it down as the group takes their seats. "We've got shakes, floats, coffee, tea, sodas: if you name it we probably have it on tap. No alcohol, just as a heads up. If you're hungry I can get you a menu."

"We just ate, but I'd love to hear about your shakes, Flo. Thanks!"

Yissam♥'s eyes scan the back of the cafe, looking for the door to the back room (and hopefully a terminal) and making note of any more employees other than Flo.

2 minutes ago, CMP said:

"We just ate, but I'd love to hear about your shakes, Flo. Thanks!"

Yissam♥'s eyes scan the back of the cafe, looking for the door to the back room (and hopefully a terminal) and making note of any more employees other than Flo.

"Sure thing, sweetie! We have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, banana, and recently we started selling chocolate and mint, if I can interest you in trying that."

Looking around, Yissam♥ noticed both a door to the kitchen and a door to a washroom. Besides the sounds of a cook in the kitchen, there didn't seem to be anyone else present in terms of staff. As she looks around the valtar behind her snaps her fingers in recognition and moves to the bar.

"No freaking way. Yissam♥? Akharif's forty-fifth most popular streamer? Fancy meeting you here. The name's JanineXoXBlaster to the fans. I'm, uh, coming up on you in Akharif's streaming views. Number forty-nine on the "most popular" analytics." JanineXoX holds out a hand to shake towards Yissam♥. The human that was sitting with her leans forward towards the table, crossing his arms.

"Janine, come on, we're almost done with your registration form. We have, like, two more lines to fill out and then your in the guild."

"Okay, just, like, give me a moment here, Tarrian. I didn't expect to run into someone as famous than me today, gosh."

7 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin will search the trash for the tracker/camera and use their tech skills to determine if the speeder is being camouflaged.

MM Note: I'm going to roll these as a Technology check, followed by an Engineering check, technology to determine if you can identify if the tracker or camera are in the trash, and Engineering to determine if you can find out if the speeder in front of you is camouflaged or not.

Technology Check (DC: 1/3): (3,3,4,4,4) Three Successes

Rummaging through the trash, Kirwin discovers an object which clearly looks like the camera that belongs to the diner. Looking it over, the camera has been dented and it's lens smashed, as if someone took a blunt object to it. Rummaging through the garbage further, Kirwin finds a heavy, block-like device the size of a toaster which looks like a tracking device. Bringing the car keys to the device, it seems to confirm that the device is the tracker, as it signifies that the speeder should be right in front of him.

Engineering Check (DC: 1): (1,1,3,5) One Success

Kirwin looks over the hover bike and begins examining it. After a thorough inspection, Kirwin's positive this is not a camouflaged Dragoon V4: he would've bumped into the larger shape of the speeder at some point, as camouflage tech cannot cause items to shrink in size, merely present an optical illusion of what's present.

As Kirwin looks over the bike, he hears the three girls at the front of diner talking as they look in his direction.

51370240756_a0cdc94463_o.jpg
"Wait, he isn't-"

51370240791_6d5d7c03b6_o.jpg
"Touching that dude's bike? Absolutely."

51370240691_0f38ce4f06_o.jpg
"Do you think he's going to attempt to steal it? That would be the opposite of poggers."

8 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Sure thing, sweetie! We have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, banana, and recently we started selling chocolate and mint, if I can interest you in trying that."

Looking around, Yissam♥ noticed both a door to the kitchen and a door to a washroom. Besides the sounds of a cook in the kitchen, there didn't seem to be anyone else present in terms of staff. As she looks around the valtar behind her snaps her fingers in recognition and moves to the bar.

"No freaking way. Yissam♥? Akharif's forty-fifth most popular streamer? Fancy meeting you here. The name's JanineXoXBlaster to the fans. I'm, uh, coming up on you in Akharif's streaming views. Number forty-nine on the "most popular" analytics." JanineXoX holds out a hand to shake towards Yissam♥. The human that was sitting with her leans forward towards the table, crossing his arms.

"Chocolate and mint it is!"

A grinning Yissam♥ turns her attention to the stranger, and her eyes seem to light up.

"No kidding?! Small galaxy!! Always happy to meet another streamer- you mind?"

Shaking JanineXoX's hand, Yissam♥ winks as her AV Rig that flies around for a quick picture. In her head, she's also trying to place whether or not she's actually heard of her in the cultural sphere. 

3 hours ago, CMP said:

A grinning Yissam♥ turns her attention to the stranger, and her eyes seem to light up.

"No kidding?! Small galaxy!! Always happy to meet another streamer- you mind?"

Shaking JanineXoX's hand, Yissam♥ winks as her AV Rig that flies around for a quick picture. In her head, she's also trying to place whether or not she's actually heard of her in the cultural sphere. 

Flo gets to work preparing Yissam♥'s milk shake, putting the concoction of chocolate syrup, milk, ice cream, and mint extract to a blender as it's whipped together. Placing a paper straw into a tall glass and leaving the leftovers in the metal cup used to create the drink, she places the mint and chocolate milkshake on the counter in front of Yissam♥.
"First one's on the house for new customers. Anything after that's a credit for each drink. Is there anything else I can get for you three?" She looks to Merei and Bers.

Culture Check (DC: 2/3): (2,3,3,6,6) Two Successes

Yissam♥ remembers hearing of JanineXoX before. JanineXoX's popularity comes from her streaming her time in various high profile arcades and entering gaming tournaments. Starting shortly after Yissam♥ did, she made her first big break streaming games of the Royal Game of Ur, a game popular among Ytaaxi aristocracy, and rode that wave into streaming games of Chess and Liar's Dice.

"Oh, no, go ahead! I'm certain this will give some of those drama streamers something to mill over and try and spill tea over." JanineXoX gives Yissam♥ a cute smile, raising her fingers in the peace sign as the picture is taken. "What brings you around these parts, Forty-Five?"

14 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Technology Check (DC: 1/3): (3,3,4,4,4) Three Successes

Rummaging through the trash, Kirwin discovers an object which clearly looks like the camera that belongs to the diner. Looking it over, the camera has been dented and it's lens smashed, as if someone took a blunt object to it. Rummaging through the garbage further, Kirwin finds a heavy, block-like device the size of a toaster which looks like a tracking device. Bringing the car keys to the device, it seems to confirm that the device is the tracker, as it signifies that the speeder should be right in front of him.

Kirwin tries to determine if the camera itself holds any recording data while walking into the diner to inform the group of their discoveries.

4 minutes ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin tries to determine if the camera itself holds any recording data while walking into the diner to inform the group of their discoveries.

Based on Kirwin's overview of the camera, they determine that the camera likely feeds back into a recording device in the diner somewhere, as there's nowhere for a holotape or input jack to be inserted.

OOG: Just so to clarify for my own sake, karmajay, I've seen you use he/him and they/them when referring to Kirwin. Is there any particular set of pronouns you'd prefer me using for Kirwin as a character when describing the outcome of actions? :classic:

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

"First one's on the house for new customers. Anything after that's a credit for each drink. Is there anything else I can get for you three?" She looks to Merei and Bers.

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg"This unit would not mind whatever you have available, with the highest volume of alcoholic content, to grease my servos and power my {sub}systems. Thank you."

Bers has been looking outside of the windows observing Kirwin and remarks:

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg"Looks like Kirwin isn't having much luck out there friends."

2 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg"This unit would not mind whatever you have available, with the highest volume of alcoholic content, to grease my servos and power my {sub}systems. Thank you."

Bers looks outside of the windows at Kirwin

51260461662_82ed7809fe_s.jpg"Looks like Kirwin isn't having much luck out there friends."

"Sorry, hun, we don't serve any alcohol here. Considering the amount of preppy jock and grease monkey types we get around here it's for the best to keep everyone sober. I can pour you a root beer float, though. Or perhaps some ginger beer if you're looking for something a little spicy and bitter? It's imported from Hi-Pluvvon: it's supposed to be all the rage with the youth over there."

6 hours ago, CMP said:

"I will take the same, please."

On 8/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, Kintobor said:

"Hm? Oh, small galaxy, isn't it? We can discuss where you've seen her before after we've gotten your registration form filled out."

"Registration for what?" Merei asks curiously. As she waits for a response she whispers to Kirwin. "Good find, good work, bad news for us. We can see if anyone has seen anything. Or simply ask to see the recordings - either the diner is in on things, which I hope not, given the milkshakes, or they would have no reason to simply let us take a look. My approach would be to be open, and see what happens, but I will follow the group's wisdom."

6 minutes ago, Zepher said:

"I will take the same, please."

"Registration for what?" Merei asks curiously. As she waits for a response she whispers to Kirwin. "Good find, good work, bad news for us. We can see if anyone has seen anything. Or simply ask to see the recordings - either the diner is in on things, which I hope not, given the milkshakes, or they would have no reason to simply let us take a look. My approach would be to be open, and see what happens, but I will follow the group's wisdom."

Flo gets to work whipping up another milkshake as Tarrian gets up to speak to Merei. He grins, self-assured and confidently, holding his own milkshake in one hand as he speaks, his other hand gestures to accentuates his words.

"Guess I'll also join you three, if you don't mind. It would be quite rude to speak across the diner, don't you think? The name's Tarrian Flashbolt, and I'm with the Wolfclaw Veterans. We're a mercenary guild with our main guild hall situated on Hi-Pluvvon, but I joined up at the Port Drandora chapter house a few years back. I'm taking some time out of my regular work to help JanineXoX get signed up and then get her ready for her first assignment.

So, I guess while I'm here, could I interest you in joining up? We're a trusted name in the field of mercenary work!" Tarrian gestures with his hand, pointing at Merei, sipping at his milkshake through the straw. Flo places Merei's own milkshake on the bar.

Merei tries to recall if she has any information on Wolfclaw. She hasn't lived a sheltered life, exactly, but there are many new terms being thrown around quickly. Hi-Pluvvon, Port Drandora... many things she recognizes in name only. Not to mention people named Yissam and JanineXoX...

"I'm never uninterested," she answers. "What sort of work do you generally do? Any jobs of interest recently?"

5 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Merei tries to recall if she has any information on Wolfclaw. She hasn't lived a sheltered life, exactly, but there are many new terms being thrown around quickly. Hi-Pluvvon, Port Drandora... many things she recognizes in name only. Not to mention people named Yissam and JanineXoX...

"I'm never uninterested," she answers. "What sort of work do you generally do? Any jobs of interest recently?"

Culture Check (DC: 0/2): (1,3,5) One Success

While Merei can't quite recall much on the Wolfclaw Veterans, she did remember in passing hearing about them as a mercenary guild with an established history dating back centuries.

"Well, nothing truly interesting at this point in time. A lot of our contracts come in from Magni-Tech and Octan, mostly just escorting and recovering goods or investigating issues they have. A lot of corporate jobs, but with that comes a lot of corporate benefits. It didn't always use to be that way, or so I heard. The organization used to do smaller jobs, but with the way things are today, I figure it's best to be on the side where the money's at, yeah?

Every now and again some Ytaaxi noble comes looking for a job, and those are the jobs people clamour to get a hold of, because it gets you in front of the big wigs on Hi-Pluvvon. Yup, you can go a lot of places with the Wolfclaw Veterans."