technicmath

Front live axle with kingpin inclination, diff lock, portal axles, constant velocity joints, Ackermann steering

This is a front live axle with

• kingpin inclination with angle atan(1/4)=14.036... degrees
  • diff lock
  • portal axles with 8/24 gear reduction
  • constant velocity joints
  • Ackermann steering

axle.png

The following picture shows the very high ground clearance and highlighted kingpin axis (in red):

axle_kingpin%20axis%20highlighted.png

A .ldr file can be found on bricksafe. This .ldr file includes building steps.

There are 2 black steering links on top and 2 grey links at the bottom. These create a 4-bar linkage. A caster angle can be obtained by angling the whole axle by setting up the 4-bar linkage properly.

Have you built in real bricks to test its integrity? 
not doubting anything but it will be very satisfying if it is all stable and works, that’s a full axle :thumbup:

So ironic, I am currently in need of just such a setup and struggling with a proper design. So this is right on time, hopefully I can borrow some of these design features. Thanks for sharing, although my design will be much more simplified it gives my some great ideas.

8 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice work!

8 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Good to see that some people still care about posting small builds like this.. great job! 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Have you built in real bricks to test its integrity? 
not doubting anything but it will be very satisfying if it is all stable and works, that’s a full axle :thumbup:

Yes, I have built it in real bricks (except for some parts such as the differential which I don't own) and the construction is very strong.

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

So ironic, I am currently in need of just such a setup and struggling with a proper design. So this is right on time, hopefully I can borrow some of these design features. Thanks for sharing, although my design will be much more simplified it gives my some great ideas.

Simplified in which way? For example, the design can be enormously simplified by omitting the kingpin inclination and diff lock and then also the part count will be much lower. But these are the main features of the design.

10 hours ago, technicmath said:

Simplified in which way? For example, the design can be enormously simplified by omitting the kingpin inclination and diff lock and then also the part count will be much lower. But these are the main features of the design.

Lol, yeah not to say yours is overly complicated or anything, it is in fact great, especially for what it offers.

Was just saying my version will be much simpler with out some of the cool features you have implemented. I often just have a hard time actually getting started and this gives me something to shoot for, or a jumping off point if you will.

Thanks, I did locate the file and downloaded it, great work. You can be sure if I use your design you will get credited, thanks again.

Edited by Johnny1360

8 hours ago, Teo LEGO Technic said:

Great axle build! Just wondering, is the bar at the front for controlling the steering? I imagine so, because there's no rack and pinion. 

Thank you! Yes, indeed, the bar at the front controls the steering, there is indeed no rack and pinion. The steering arm has two of this part at the ends:15459.png. This steering arm is moved by moving the black arm with the 1 x 9 liftarm on top. This black arm moves together with the suspension and is controlled directly from the chassis of the vehicle.

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Lol, yeah not to say yours is overly complicated or anything, it is in fact great, especially for what it offers.

Was just saying my version will be much simpler with out some of the cool features you have implemented. I often just have a hard time actually getting started and this gives me something to shoot for, or a jumping off point if you will.

Thanks, I did locate the file and downloaded it, great work. You can be sure if I use your design you will get credited, thanks again.

Thank you! The .ldr file contains building steps. At some points, the order of these building steps needs to be followed precisely because some parts can only be placed before other parts. Also, in some building steps, multiple parts are inserted in the same step. In this case, it is sometimes necessary to build some of these parts together before mounting it to the main build.

I also made a corresponding rear axle with a diff lock, portal axles and the same width as the front axle:

axle_rear.png

The following picture shows the very high ground clearance:

axle_rear_orthographic.png

A .ldr file can be found on bricksafe. This .ldr file includes building steps. The links:

Front axle: https://bricksafe.com/files/technicmath/front-live-axle-with-kingpin-inclination-diff-lock-portal-axles-constant-velocity-joints-ackermann-steering/axle.ldr

Rear axle: https://bricksafe.com/files/technicmath/front-live-axle-with-kingpin-inclination-diff-lock-portal-axles-constant-velocity-joints-ackermann-steering/axle_rear.ldr

1 hour ago, technicmath said:

Thank you! Yes, indeed, the bar at the front controls the steering, there is indeed no rack and pinion. The steering arm has two of this part at the ends:15459.png. This steering arm is moved by moving the black arm with the 1 x 9 liftarm on top. This black arm moves together with the suspension and is controlled directly from the chassis of the vehicle.

Great, thanks!