Dazzzy

[TC20] 8842 (inspired) studless Go-Kart

Unfortunately for me, I'm kind of late to the party with this epic contest!   And even then, i'm not completely sure my submission will be allowed, (i need to check with @Jim & @Milan really, as my proposed submission is not exactly what you'd call 'instantly recognisable' - it's more of a sympathetic homage/nod to the original 8842 Go-Kart, rather than a studless carbon copy version. So they may deem that it isn't within the spirit of the contest).   Anyway until i find out, i'm going to go ahead and show a render or two of what i've been working on over the past week.

Due to going through a bit of a Lego dark age for the past 5-6 months, i only noticed this awesome contest around the 29th, and immediately my heart sank when i found out the closing date was so close. Then when @Jim kindly extended the closing date it lifted my spirits, as i thought just maybe i'd be able to participate after all.  ...Then came the dilemma of what classic bit of Lego Technic to recreate. Initially i cast my mind back to the technic sets i had when i was a kid. I was rather limited in my choices though, as i only ever owned 2 Technic sets when i was little, 8845 (small red dune buggy) and 8860 (the big car chassis). Well for a start 8860 was out of the question, because it would require too much work and i remembered that the studless 40th anniversary version already existed. Then i also remembered seeing on this very site, an awesome studless version of 8845, that was done to perfection, (can't remember who it was by though).  So yeah, that kind of took the wind out of my sails a bit, but nevertheless i carried on thinking a bit more, then eureka!  I remembered a set i could do that i had during the middle of my previous (nearly 30 year long) 'dark age'. When i bought the (greatly reduced/on sale) set back in the early 00's, it was more of a blip of Lego activity from me, rather than an end to my dark age, but i had fond memories of how the thing steered.  Unfortunately, what i'd failed to remember is that the set in question (8226 Mud Masher), was from a time Lego had already transitioned to studless design. :sad:   

So at this point it seemed that i was all out of options, until i decided upon doing the classic 8842 Go-Kart set. I never actually owned the set in my youth, and technically i still don't as it's my partner's set from her childhood. Anyway, back in 2014 (when i started to come out of my dark age), my partner let me use the old parts she had of set 8842, so i could build a bigger more realistic looking Go-Kart. This is the MOC in question below:

14459888502_dc32cd511f_c.jpg

Although it's not perfect, and only has working steering (doesn't have a working fake engine), I'd kept it assembled and vowed not to dismantle it (due to rather sentimental reasons, that i won't go into right now). Anyway that decision changed, as i decided to rebuild it and display it next to the new creation i've been working on. 

I don't have any real life photo's to share of it right now, (camera battery's dead) just some rendered pics done in Stud.io. But as you'll see from the images below, what started off as looking fairly faithful to the original, has evolved into something that looks a bit more realistically Go-Karty. It wasn't intentional to begin with, it's just i got a bit carried away i guess. 

This is what i came up with first, but i stopped pursuing the build when it started to remind me of looking more like a pedal kart, than a kart designed to have an engine. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as i think a 'pedals and chain Go-Kart' would make a rather nice MOC. Plus i'm willing to bet that some members would argue the point of the original 8842 Go-Kart, maybe  being based on a fairly rudimentary early pedal kart, with an engine strapped to it. The racing number and wide tyres suggest, something based around more purposeful machinery to me though. So that's when i decided to take my MOC in a slightly more different direction.

51365470039_a6679d68bd_c.jpg

So i decided to decrease the diameter of the front wheels, for a start (please excuse the colour, was just seeing how they looked in black), and changed the angle of the engine block. I also changed the shape of the frame, so it was more in line with that of the original 8842 set, but at the same time i added an extra bar up front, and a rear guard bar at the back, which you can see in pics further below. 

51365747525_9989717b13_c.jpg

In this top down view, you can see i've tried to keep the scale at about the same size as the original 8842. the wheel hubs are the same distance apart but the rear track has increased by about one stud overall. i've given the new version a similar offset seat and steering wheel, to at least try and stay sympathetic to the original kart too. Another change i made which i've so far failed to mention, is that i changed the single piston fake engine so it's now connected by a chain to the rear right axle, rather than just sproket/cog on cog. Apart from that, there are no other changes to the karts basic functions (fake engine and steering), from that of the original.  

51365472014_ce20e1d79a_c.jpg

So here we have it, a good few render pics of the finished model. As you can see i added some sidepod things (i don't know what they're called). I was unsure at first by them as i guess it takes it further away than it already is, from the original 8842 Go-Kart, however i do really like the look of them, and along with the front section of body work (which i also made changes to, due to not being able to get my hands on another number 6 panel), they're designed to easily unclip, should you want to make it look a little more naked like the original kart. 

51364958153_c7303218d4_c.jpg

51365749850_f482078908_c.jpg

51365750380_d6f6d08c41_c.jpg

51365474914_6d7a66557a_c.jpg

And just as a few bonus images, the 3 pics below show how i'd like to present the entry (if it's even allowed) but won't.  As you can see i've kept the tyre size but added smaller wheel rims (inside of the rims that come in the creator Mustang and Porsche sets), and placed them inside the outer rims and wearing their own set of tyres as well. then iv'e added the tyres from those skinny 6 slot technic wheels to the outside of the smaller rubber. It works fine and fits perfectly, but i fear that it may be considered an illegal technique to do that, so it'll have to remain just on the model i intend on putting on display, rather than submitting it that way as my final entry. 

51365475474_42bc4a24b3_c.jpg

51365476039_c12b621c62_c.jpg

51364739311_5def977537_c.jpg

Thank you for reading and viewing. 

Edited by Dazzzy
Added a forgotten image.

Sick gokart :wub_drool:

like you said, get rid of those extra tyres for TC though (I like the look though)

I recon it represents the original quite well, plus a bit of creative license of course.

:thumbup:

I’m not aware of the original but do like your modern kart. Why would you not enter it? A few people have done similar. I assume you’ve physically built it too as all your photos look like renders and the competition requires it to be a physical build

3 hours ago, Milan said:

The model is okay for the contest :thumbup:

According to the rules:

On 5/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Jim said:

Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.

And the photos in the opening post are not the ones of the entry build, but something he started from and used the parts. Regardless of whether anyone states that he actually built something physically, it would be unfair if someone was allowed to use renders for his entry while others played according to the rules.

:roflmao:

just gotta have a laugh sometimes @SaperPL I’m sure that’s not what was being eluded too. There is some grey areas in life :tongue:

When the OP’s camera is charged he’ll take photos of the real build which is the same as the renders. 

5 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

:roflmao:

just gotta have a laugh sometimes @SaperPL I’m sure that’s not what was being eluded too. There is some grey areas in life :tongue:

When the OP’s camera is charged he’ll take photos of the real build which is the same as the renders. 

Actually depends on the contest here. Camera battery being dead might mean actually dead - not charging and that he won't be able to charge it, although there's always camera in the phone as a backup plan.

Anyway taking the deadline being today into account, I have probably misinterpreted @Milan's word as being about the virtual model here being okay for entry, but I guess it was more about the "illegal" techniques used.

I am sorry, I should have been more clear.

So, as Dazzzy had explained in his post, he was inquiring whether his model was okay enough (since he was unsure was it close enough to the original), and I responded that it was okay.
He had also mentioned that he will take care of the tires.

Virtual models are, of course, not allowed, and we wouldn't make exceptions like that.

@Dazzzy, to remove any doubts, please confirm that you are aware that you are required to have a physical entry for entering the competition

12 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Sick gokart :wub_drool:

like you said, get rid of those extra tyres for TC though (I like the look though)

I recon it represents the original quite well, plus a bit of creative license of course.

:thumbup:

Thanks! @MangaNOID :sweet:  I'm really glad you find it represents the original, i was hoping it would but wasn't sure.  And yes, although i'll be displaying it with the 3 sets of tyres/ 2 wheel rims combo, the entry will be just 2 sets of wheel rims and 2 tyres per wheel. 

8 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’m not aware of the original but do like your modern kart. Why would you not enter it? A few people have done similar. I assume you’ve physically built it too as all your photos look like renders and the competition requires it to be a physical build

Thanks! @Seasider  Again, i was unsure whether it would be deemed a step too far away from the original, hence why i was seeking some kind of clarification.

And yes the pics (bar the top one) are indeed all renders. It is built in real brick now, though at one point it had a black frame, due to not having the grey pieces i needed. I was hoping for 2 red (32250 curved angle pieces) to be delivered in time as well, but it appears Royal Mail have let me down again.  

4 hours ago, Milan said:

The model is okay for the contest :thumbup:

Thanks! @Milan  :thumbup: :sweet:

34 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Actually depends on the contest here. Camera battery being dead might mean actually dead - not charging and that he won't be able to charge it, although there's always camera in the phone as a backup plan.

Anyway taking the deadline being today into account, I have probably misinterpreted @Milan's word as being about the virtual model here being okay for entry, but I guess it was more about the "illegal" techniques used.

14 minutes ago, Milan said:

I am sorry, I should have been more clear.

So, as Dazzzy had explained in his post, he was inquiring whether his model was okay enough (since he was unsure was it close enough to the original), and I responded that it was okay.
He had also mentioned that he will take care of the tires.

Virtual models are, of course, not allowed, and we wouldn't make exceptions like that.

@Dazzzy, to remove any doubts, please confirm that you are aware that you are required to have a physical entry for entering the competition

Apologies @SaperPL & @Milan  I should've explained the camera battery issue a little clearer. What i should of said is, it's in need of a recharge. I'm aware i need to show a physical model. Will be taking some pics of the physical model a bit later, once i try and print off a couple of stickers. :thumbup:

Thanks again @Milan for allowing my entry to the contest.

I assume you’re making a no 6 sticker for the front (having looked at the images of the original).

Don’t take too long though, the entries close tonight/some point tomorrow when Jim and Milan get round to it

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

I assume you’re making a no 6 sticker for the front (having looked at the images of the original).

Don’t take too long though, the entries close tonight/some point tomorrow when Jim and Milan get round to it

Thanks for the heads-up @Seasider :thumbup:.  Bit of a nightmare taking pics and with the stickers too, but got there just about. 

Thought i'd best update this thread with my TC20 entry pics:

51369069175_1a83705e8b_b.jpg

51368062566_1b39c3bccb_b.jpg

51367302467_9561997c5d_b.jpg

51369071305_4bb20dbb6a_b.jpg

And as an addition (for those who may happen to be interested), here's some pics of the Go-Kart, with the 2 pieces i was waiting on (x2 '32250' red halfbeam curve 2x5) that surround the fuel cell, but didn't arrive in time for my contest entry.  If you're viewing from a contest perspective, please try and ignore the illegal wheel and tyre combo (3 wheel rims, 4 tyres), that i've used in these pics ahead, as my entry should be judged on how i presented the entry pics above, rather than how it's displayed now, in the pics below. 

51380049026_80b8e5b6c1_b.jpg

51381062500_42b596b73e_b.jpg

51381063215_47d605960f_b.jpg

51380791774_8e596b63fa_b.jpg

51380051646_4e26aa0ae7_b.jpg

51380792749_856c083a6c_b.jpg

51380289318_2bea41263c_b.jpg

Thanks for viewing. 

Edited by Dazzzy
Edited for further and clearer clarification.