Wurger49

[MOD] Imperial Trexler Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications, using pieces from two 75311 sets

When I saw the 75311 reviews with the new Artillery Stormtrooper and Greef Karga minifigure, I loved them! The vehicle itself was ok, I understand LEGO used a 6-stud-wide design to keep the price down and cheaper for collectors that buy sets for army building. As I am a vehicle type of guy; instead of building two Trexler 906 Armored Marauders, I upgraded it to a 8-stud-wide vehicle that can seat 6 stormtroopers side by side, and 1 stormtrooper beneath a new dorsal turret.

The overall Marauder is widened by 2 studs and lengthened by 2 studs (1-stud on the sponsons and 1 stud on the cockpit). The new model measures 22cm in length and 11cm in width (8cm without the sponsons).

The hull is widened by using two 2x16 dark bluish grey plates on the sides of the 6x10 black plate as the base. An extra roof tile is added to the sponsons with 2x3 inverted roof tile replacing the 1x3 one to lengthen the sponsons between the lateral laser cannons and storage container. The trans-light blue engine outlets are lengthened to 4 round plates each, sitting on a 2x4 plate with two 1x2 grille pieces.

For the cockpit, my first version simply widened the front and top panels to 6 studs, but the vertical frames are too wide apart and don’t represent the Marauder’s notched front well. I changed to front and top panels back to the original 4 studs, used 3x3 light bluish grey corner plates for the top panels, 28192 45 ° slopes and SNOT techniques to mount laser cannons. Each chair sits on two 1x2 1 stud plate, so they are offset by half a stud each, allowing two stormtroopers to sit next to each other side by side. The plates on the side doors are changed to 2x2 special 2-stud plates and 1x2 door rail plates.

I removed all stud shooters and used original LEGO’s design for all my laser cannons, Lego included a spare reddish brown 3L bar, a black technic pin and a black lightsaber hilt for each set, so I have enough parts for all six cannons.

I went through more than ten different variants of dorsal turret before settling on the current version, the thought of why didn’t I think of this before always comes to my mind. The V1.2 is 6-stud-wide with low profile after rewatching The Mandalorian S2E4. The latest laser gun mounts with elevation are designed by bruce_swift, https://www.instagram.com/bruce_swift/. Two alternate turret designs can be built at the same time. 

An option to make the cockpit guns elevatable was given to me by GuCi2020 from Reddit, very smart, check it out: https://imgur.com/a/E7078c1

Better late than never 19/06/2023! I apologise for taking 2 years to rebuild my 2021 alternate build in Studio, but here it is on Rebrickable now: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-148970/Wurger Bricks/imperial-trexler-armored-marauder-alternate-build-of-2-x-75311/

I have included exploded view photos on the linked post below to show how I made the changes, I highly recommend building the LEGO 75311 first according to official instructions before using the pieces from the second set to do the modifications. Feel free to let me know your feedback and questions please!

My post on the 2 different turret designs, listing the pros and cons. 

51420925211_202632e78b_c.jpgTurret Comparison by R Y, on Flickr

YouTube photo video: 

51414814598_df32c543f1_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51415305839_fcd6c08b5d_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51414549186_38ecc4d9e2_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51415305929_f5464e7793_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51415305759_d62477aebf_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51413804437_4c39032ae8_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51414815608_fef8b3f4a7_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

Edited by Wurger49

That’s really great!

My interest in this set has grown a lot seeing this.

Good job!

2 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

That’s really great!

Good job!

Thank you, it's now a proper IFV! 

1 hour ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Great redesign! I really like seeing that many stormtroopers able to fit into the interior space.

Thank you, I really wanted to make it fit 2 stormtroopers side be side!

3 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

That’s really great!

Good job!

I second this. 

Hadn't really much considered this set, but seeing this mod with 2 sets... The moment I see it on any kind of discount, I'll be getting it and doing this! 

It feels like it's much more in scale. Perhaps the turret looks a touch too big, but considering its made using pieces of just the sets, it's perfectly suitable and does the job very nicely. 

The only thing I'd wish to modify to that, is the turret guns so they can rotate up and down, but that'd be using pieces not from the set. 

You've done a great job on this, one I'm sure many people will now be appreciating and copying! :sweet::thumbup:

Additionally, the exploded view of parts is also appreciated :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I second this. 

Hadn't really much considered this set, but seeing this mod with 2 sets... The moment I see it on any kind of discount, I'll be getting it and doing this! 

It feels like it's much more in scale. Perhaps the turret looks a touch too big, but considering its made using pieces of just the sets, it's perfectly suitable and does the job very nicely. 

The only thing I'd wish to modify to that, is the turret guns so they can rotate up and down, but that'd be using pieces not from the set. 

You've done a great job on this, one I'm sure many people will now be appreciating and copying! :sweet::thumbup:

Thank you for the building feedback! I am lucky in Australia where the sets are listed with 10-20% off from day 1. 

Yes, the cockpit and turret went through a lot of changes in this week; there are at least 10 different turret designs I tried using the existing pieces, I agree with you it is still a touch too big. The original SNOT design of LEGO created a nice 4-stud-wide turret, using 1x2 1-stud special plates as the base; I tried to utilise that at the start, but eventually had to abandon it due to the length of the cannon barrel made from connectiong technic pin and lightsaber hilt. The barrel had to be connected one stud in from the edge of the round plate, and the side of the turret needs the cover the base of the barrel, but I can't figure out how to build around the 2 horizontal 1x2 1-stud special plates, using SNOT to build the turret sides. In the end, I went with a 6-stud-wide design, using cheese slopes combined with the curved brick to create a lower sloped turret side. 

Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions on the connection of the parts when you make vehicle. 

Edited by Wurger49

23 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Most impressive! I had no interest in picking up this set, but I might get two now to make this!

Thank you! The minifigures are great on this set, the base vehicle is pretty decent to be honest for buy at least one. It is a good starting point for my MOD, now a proper IFV for the Imperial Army. 

Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions on the connection of the parts when you make vehicle. 

27 minutes ago, Wurger49 said:

Thank you! The minifigures are great on this set, the base vehicle is pretty decent to be honest for buy at least one. It is a good starting point for my MOD, now a proper IFV for the Imperial Army

I agree, I bought it only for the figures but the vehicle is very impressive for a small set. I have recoloured mine to be a LBG colour.

Your modification is very nicely done and I will try and replicate your side door designs

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

I agree, I bought it only for the figures but the vehicle is very impressive for a small set. I have recoloured mine to be a LBG colour.

Your modification is very nicely done and I will try and replicate your side door designs

Thank you, Stuart. The plates on the side doors are changed to 2x2 special 2-stud plates and 1x2 door rail plates. I tried a few different arrangements. Even had to decide between horizontal studs vs vertical studs in the end.

1 minute ago, Wurger49 said:

Thank you, Stuart. The plates on the side doors are changed to 2x2 special 2-stud plates and 1x2 door rail plates. I tried a few different arrangements. Even had to decide between horizontal studs vs vertical studs in the end.

I like the current orientation of the plates as the studs seem to represent rivets which really contributes to the heavy-duty feel

Edited by Stuartn

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

I like the current orientation of the plates as the studs seem to represent rivets which really contributes to the heavy-duty feel

Yes, my thoughts exactly, the riveted look. 

Same. Will you be releasing instructions? im not sure I can build it just from the pictures

4 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

This is actually amazing, now i want 2 of these sets too.

Thank you, they will make a proper Marauder with 6 stormtroopers. 

3 hours ago, LDigital said:

Same. Will you be releasing instructions? im not sure I can build it just from the pictures

Unfortunately not, I don't use design programs. The pictures and my description will make more sense if you build the first set according to LEGO instructions, then modify from that. Feel free to ask me any questions on the build when you are doing it. 

I used my photos to create my first Youtube Video on Adobe Spark, please check it out. 

Edited by Wurger49

Question for the build:

" I was wondering if the back opening panel for the turret has the same build as the one in the set and if the part of the flank where the storage compartment and the guns are is built just like it is in the set but made slightly larger."

Answer:

"The back opening panel is the same as the offiicial set, only difference is that I used cheese slopes instead of 1x1 plates next to the grilles. The flank is lengthened by one stud, one extra 3x1 slope, and used a inverted 3x2 slope to replace the inverted 3x1 slope, the bracket is moved out in stud, blue engine exhaust and grille pieces on 2x4 a plate."

I highly recommend building the LEGO 75311 first according to official instructions before using the pieces from the second set to do the modifications.

Exploded View:

51364960629_f721669355_c.jpg8-stud-wide Imperial Trexler Armoured Marauder MOD, using pieces from two 75311 sets by R Y, on Flickr

51379777224_60a0656a9d_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51363463442_ea2b8c7552_c.jpg8-stud-wide Imperial Trexler Armoured Marauder MOD, using pieces from two 75311 sets by R Y, on Flickr

Current Turret

51421689839_9aaef013e1_c.jpgTurret Comparison by R Y, on Flickr

51414549036_598f1997f9_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

Current Alternate Turret

51420925131_1604ae9699_c.jpgTurret Comparison by R Y, on Flickr

51421689809_516f2d161a_c.jpgTurret Comparison by R Y, on Flickr

51379269563_ac19664299_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51378272842_a21f456095_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51379269498_301a836c74_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51379777069_afe51a62e4_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51378273022_8446333dec_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51379269328_2492d37d3b_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51363463337_1dcd16095f_c.jpg8-stud-wide Imperial Trexler Armoured Marauder MOD, using pieces from two 75311 sets by R Y, on Flickr

51365234980_39b4cb05e0_c.jpg8-stud-wide Imperial Trexler Armoured Marauder MOD, using pieces from two 75311 sets by R Y, on Flickr

51380046590_7e14ac0874_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51379776854_ed9fe1b04c_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51379034721_00f6445e78_c.jpgLEGO Imperial Armored Marauder Upgrade Modifications by R Y, on Flickr

51414548451_3739d0aeb2_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

Edited by Wurger49

Q: "Hello Richard i am trying to make your imperial marauder but i am stuck hère ..i was wondering if you coud give me some help?" (with photos of the side sponsons)

A: "Hi, did you build the official set?"

Q: "No, I started from 0."

A: "Oh, you are meant to build the official set, then mod it according to my pictures, as I only focused on the changes. But you got the front!!! that's the hard part."

Q: "I thought that was the easy part, the sides are killing me tho. Just trying to see how"

A: "if you just build the side flanks according to the official instructions, you will able to build mine quickly, it's a small change. "

Q: "I will start looking at the manual right now, thank you for the reply Richard."

A: "it's one stud longer, changed the inverted slope to 2x3, and changed the bracket."

Edited by Wurger49

On 8/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Fuppylodders said:

I second this. 

Big thanks to fellow afol bruce_swift, he designed new gun mounts that have elevation! still using pieces from the 2 sets!

51396244518_f477f5cb35_c.jpgUpdated Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51396994240_5060e8f17d_c.jpgUpdated Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51396994145_e55f03a4ab_c.jpgUpdated Turret by R Y, on Flickr

Edited by Wurger49

Q: Should the top panel at the front of the vehicle have a stop point or does it just go all the way down, making it so you have to manually position it so there’s a window gap at the front. Secondly, what is the subassembly to the right of the side door (top panel) in the second last screenshot in the Eurobricks thread?

A: The stormtrooper helmets act as the stop point, it positions the top panel perfectly in the right slope, without the troopers, it will go all the way down, Bruce's version on Instagram goes down further because he left out the seats, I pointed it out last night and he will fix that. If we are talking about the same thing, it composes of one 54200 LBG Slope, one 1x1 DBG brick, one 1x1 TR round plate, one 1x3 LBG plate, one 3700 DBG Brick 1 x 2 with Hole and one 2420 DBG corner plate.

After watching The Mandalorian S2E4 again, I realised that my turret is even more oversized then I thought. So I went to fix that by reducing the height by one plate, two 1x1 cheese slopes are taken from the cockpit opening and used on the back of the turret. They are replaced by two LBG Round 1 x 1 quarter tiles. No tiles are placed on the bar handle plates as they will be taller than the sides turret walls. The two silver 1x1 round plates represent the range finders/sensors on top of the guns. Now the turret is a lot more screen accurate.

51414815608_fef8b3f4a7_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51414548451_3739d0aeb2_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

51414549036_598f1997f9_c.jpgV1.2 Low Profile Turret by R Y, on Flickr

Edited by Wurger49

When modded Is this thing the right sort of scale or way off? Just wondering if I Should dip in for 2 sets

6 minutes ago, LDigital said:

When modded Is this thing the right sort of scale or way off? Just wondering if I Should dip in for 2 sets

I can't find any official dimensions from Star Wars, so your guess would be as good as mine.