Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[Freebuild] A Demon's Game of Chess

Kingdom of Demoria, somewhere in the depths of the Nocty Underworld...

The Underworld is a hazardous and hostile place, where living means surviving. But beyond the struggle for survival, there's really not much to keep you occupied. Not the relaxing forest walks that you have in Avalonia, for example, or the breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains as in Mitgardia. One might say the place is boring as hell... However, it's not all doom and gloom. For you see, demons have an exceptional love for games. Card games; board games; dice games; riddle games; hunting games, gambling games... anything can and will be turned into a game! 

Today the Queen and King of Demoria are having a public chess match, to decide whether to get a hellcat (his idea) or a hellhound (her idea). Demons...

51362315424_63676b7db4_c.jpg

Queen Satania
"Jester, d4."

Jester
"As you wish, m'queen."

King Pyroclaides
"d5."

Jester
"Of course, m'king!".

Queen Satania
"I will play.. c4."

King Pyroclaides
"Oh, excellent choice, darling."

The crowd (cheering and chanting)
"QUEEN'S GAMBIT!!! QU-EEN'S  GAM-BIT !!  Q-U-E-E-N'S  G-A-M-B-I-T !!"

51361812163_1682346304_c.jpg

The opening continued and a few pawns were exchanged. White was at a developing advantage, but as the game progressed black gained the upper hand.

The heavy pieces remained on the board, and the endgame became fierce and tactical. Satania ended up loosing all her pawns, which left her king (the chess piece) almost completely exposed. Black's troops were closing in, forcing white's king into a stranglehold. The only way to avoid the impending final blow was a risky counterattack...

51360833892_eb94475b57_c.jpg

Blinded by his own victory plan, the king (the demon) was cunningly tricked into a death trap.

Queen Satania
"It's about time I put an end to this game. Jester, move that rook too h2, will you?"

Jester
"At once, your excellency!"

And so it was decided that they would get a hellhound. :wink:

---

Additional pics:

Spoiler

51359783847_bc9cf8eb8b_c.jpg

51359500781_4c02ce2997_c.jpg

A brief break from the NCW builds. This was going to be my High Fantasy entry for Summer Joust 2021, but I couldn't finish in time. The idea came last minute, and though I got close to entering I do not regret taking an extra week to finish it. I really enjoyed this build. I've played chess for more than 10 years, I've been member at multiple chess club and participated in a few hundred tournements across Belgium, the Netherlands and even France. And for the connaisseurs, this is my Fide rating. A few years ago I decided to stop playing though, partly because of lack of motivation to learn new openings (to change up my games), but largely to have more time to build. That said, I haven't lost my affinity with the game, so this build is a happy marriage of Lego and chess. I hope you like it too, and who knows we can play a game if we happen to meet! :shrug_oh_well:

Btw, anyone else not seeing anything in the preview mode?

Edited by Exetrius

Great chess set.  The base is terrific.  I like the simple pieces with just enough details.

9 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Btw, anyone else not seeing anything in the preview mode?

Everything seems ok on my mobile browser.

15 hours ago, jtooker said:

Great chess set.  The base is terrific.  I like the simple pieces with just enough details.

Everything seems ok on my mobile browser.

Thanks! :classic:

You integrated the chess squares into your base very well, and great job with all the chess pieces!  I especially like the black rook and the white pawns and king.  Pity you didn't get it done in time for the SJ, it would have been a super unique entry!

On 8/8/2021 at 11:35 PM, Spader said:

What a creative premise! You did a great job executing as well

Thanks, Spader!

18 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

You integrated the chess squares into your base very well, and great job with all the chess pieces!  I especially like the black rook and the white pawns and king.  Pity you didn't get it done in time for the SJ, it would have been a super unique entry!

Thank you! The black rook is favorite; it looks good and plays well in the hand. Yeah, better luck next time? :shrug_oh_well:

This is very creative!

Impressive how you caught the reader's attention from start to finish with a bit of comedy and an adventurous game. Well done! 
It's amazing how packed the build is, and how everything really works together. The crowd seems very active and everything seems to be in motion.
The base is terrific and the lovely touches of Nocturnae furniture are a great ambiance setting. 

Chess is not something I'm particularly excited about, but anyone can see a spark of passion in your writing. 
Well done, mate. 

Outstanding!  I wish TLG would sell this as a set!  Love the big demon guy and the idea of bleachers.  Nice story with it!

On 8/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Louis of Nutwood said:

This is very creative!

Impressive how you caught the reader's attention from start to finish with a bit of comedy and an adventurous game. Well done! 
It's amazing how packed the build is, and how everything really works together. The crowd seems very active and everything seems to be in motion.
The base is terrific and the lovely touches of Nocturnae furniture are a great ambiance setting. 

Chess is not something I'm particularly excited about, but anyone can see a spark of passion in your writing. 
Well done, mate. 

Thanks for the compliments! Glad to hear the scene and story speaks to you as a non-chess lover!

On 8/21/2021 at 11:17 PM, Grover said:

Outstanding!  I wish TLG would sell this as a set!  Love the big demon guy and the idea of bleachers.  Nice story with it!

Thanks, Grover! Remember the castle fantasy chess sets of old? Nostalgia...