So, I had a lot of ambition, and good ideas for my studless remake. Originally, I was going to do a studless version of set 6957 Solar Snooper, a set from my childhood. Unfortunately, my mental illness kicked in, and I was left at a week before the original deadline with no model to enter. But, I wanted to build something, so I looked at Technicopedia for inspiration, and landed on set 858 Auto Engines. This set is unique, because as many Technic sets feature an engine, only this one is dedicated to engines. The model I chose was the 'Boxer" engine, as that is one that I could improve on, without adding any functions.

858boxer-1.JPG

Now, the original engine is not actually a boxer, as the pistons do not reach top dead center at the same time. In addition, a 6 cylinder boxer should have the pistons clocked 120 degrees apart, which would have been impossible to do with the parts at the time. With all of the advanced parts introduced since 1980, I was able to correct both of these issues. Now, the engine is a proper boxer, with the pistons clocked 120 degrees apart. Aside from that, there is one other major functional difference. On the original model, the distributor is just a rotating shaft that does not actually do anything. On my model, I was able to add a rotating contact piece that connects to each of the spark plug wires in sequence. The engine also has a belt driven fan, just like the original. My model also features the detailed exhaust pipes and spark plug wires.

As for scale, I think my model is about 50% larger, given that I used 3 stud diameter pistons, versus the 2 stud pistons of the original. But, the scale increase allowed me to make the crankshaft and pistons much more realistic and functional.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Believe it or not, the fan was actually one of the biggest sticking points for me in terms of what to use. No brick built fan felt right, so I used the fan tail from 8068, which is actually a repurposed wheel cover.

800x600.jpg

Unlike the original, the belts are configured in such a way that they can be added easily, without any bent paper clips.

800x600.jpg

Size comparison with 42123. My engine is roughly the same width, and about 2/3rds the length.

800x775.JPG

LDD cutaway to show the crankshaft.

Video:(No Sound)

https://bricksafe.com/files/Saberwing007/tc20-studless-858-boxer-6-engine/20210808_175126_1.mp4

So, that's my entry, a new version of the 858 Boxer engine.

Edited by Saberwing40k

Great to see this classic brought into the studless era. You've done a terrific job with the looks and with the upgraded functions.

Glad you managed to recover. Stay healthy!

It would be cool to see the model with the valves in this size as well :thumbup:

858isosmall.jpg

I'm always happy when people deviate from the usual path of vehicles (I know it's still an engine) and make something different! Stay healthy, and make more stuff like this!

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

It would be cool to see the model with the valves in this size as well :thumbup:

The boxer engine looks great! Perhaps somebody can pick up your request and make an alternative model using the same parts?