NOD

[LDD] Trinidad Pirate Ship

Class 7

51356298473_455f195117_b.jpgTRI 09 by Philippe, auf Flickr

My first attempt with a custom hull. I like that the hull is wider. I'm still not entirely satisfied with the side of the hull and the deck. I had to improvise a lot to make it fit somehow. It's not bad for the first ship with a custom hull.

51356806049_21c69f48cb_b.jpgTRI 04 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356806099_321486dd33_b.jpgTRI 07 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356071191_aac1e86b6a_b.jpgTRI 08 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51355329722_786d22fb3b_b.jpgTRI 10 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356071176_d52fa4bdbd_b.jpgTRI 11 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356806039_ea5c4f3463_b.jpgTRI 05 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356806029_437cdd5ba9_b.jpgTRI 06 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51355329707_a11b5aa5a3_b.jpgTRI 01 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356071166_ef1f05b416_b.jpgTRI 02 by Philippe, auf Flickr

51356298428_9891be431b_b.jpgTRI 03 by Philippe, auf Flickr

OMG this ship is a Beauty! :pir-love: Its funny, iam attempting to build a custom build since Yesterday. And then i've seen yours. It blows my mind!

Is it modeled after a particular real world ship? I counted the studs at the widest point. 26 am i right? According to http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/scale.cgi?cval=26&cunit=stud&precision=1&fscale=minifig&fheight=6&funit=foot    this would be 9 m or so. (if you say a normal minifig would be 6 ft) How long is the ship?

Edited by CaptainPolluxofOrion

''Down to Trinidad to see Sally Brown...''

Amazing work on her, especially like the brick-built hull. Now we shall wait for Tobago pirate ship, eh? :pir-grin:

Amazing job! :pir-thumb:

Wow, great job on this! That brick built hull looks amazing! I'm wondering how you achieved the wonderful curve at the bow of the ship? The part with mainly 1x2 tiles.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:11 PM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

OMG this ship is a Beauty! :pir-love: Its funny, iam attempting to build a custom build since Yesterday. And then i've seen yours. It blows my mind!

Is it modeled after a particular real world ship? I counted the studs at the widest point. 26 am i right? According to http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/scale.cgi?cval=26&cunit=stud&precision=1&fscale=minifig&fheight=6&funit=foot    this would be 9 m or so. (if you say a normal minifig would be 6 ft) How long is the ship?

Many Thanks. Great Lego Scale Converter!:pir-huzzah2:

It is not modeled after a particular real world ship. I looked at many ships on the internet and then built my own. 24 studs. The deck is from the aft to the forward yellow railing 86 studs (included railing), at the feet of figurehead 97 studs (without figurehead). Total length 110 studs. The waterline is 80 studs. The ship has around a length to width ratio of 4 : 1. That would go well with a galleon. I have to practice a little first before I can build a galleon.

23 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

The ship looks great! Amazing work for a first attempt

Many Thanks. I will correct the mistakes on the next ship.

22 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

''Down to Trinidad to see Sally Brown...''

Amazing work on her, especially like the brick-built hull. Now we shall wait for Tobago pirate ship, eh? :pir-grin:

Amazing job! :pir-thumb:

Many Thanks. Yes, Tobago might be the name of the next ship.

7 hours ago, VaneStream said:

Wow, great job on this! That brick built hull looks amazing! I'm wondering how you achieved the wonderful curve at the bow of the ship? The part with mainly 1x2 tiles.

Many Thanks. I alternately stuck the tiles straight to the 11211 bricks and then offset them underneath. The tiles are then overhanging.  I don't understand myself what I've written in English (Google Translate). (German: Ich habe die Fliesen abwechselnd zu den 11211 bricks gerade und dann darunter versetzt gesteckt. Die Fliesen sind dann überhängend.)

5 hours ago, jan kusters said:

Fantastic ship; great design, and those plate build sails look good!

Many Thanks. A custom hull is the way to go. I will keep working on it to make it even better. This makes the ship wider and more realistic.

Edited by NOD

A bit bulky (for the hull), but very nice so far !

3rd of 4th rate ship ?

Great job on the rigging !  With digital tools this is attempting the impossible !

On 8/5/2021 at 6:34 PM, Professor Thaum said:

A bit bulky (for the hull), but very nice so far !

3rd of 4th rate ship ?

Great job on the rigging !  With digital tools this is attempting the impossible !

Many Thanks.

Maybe a little too wide for this ship. 4 : 1 is good for a galleon. I like galleons better than ships of the line. I like the width. Finally, there is enough space to load the cannons. I have to make the next ship a little longer. Of course, I also try to improve the hull.

The angles can be adjusted very easily with real bricks. After a few minutes the angles are correct. With digital it's horror!:pir-bawling: You have to move other bricks beforehand and then adjust them again.

6th rate (but Brethren of the Brick Seas Class 7, a nice frigate)

:pir-huzzah2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_system_of_the_Royal_Navy

The rigging is much easier with real bricks. I had to adjust a lot to make it work. A digital ship should also look good. When I build with real bricks, I adapt the masts to the sails (I already have the sails).

Edited by NOD

OK, I started replying, then thought better of it. then I started re-reading the thread and am again inspired to take the chance to chime in. Wish me luck!

No, she's not bulky, her widest point is just in the wrong spot. Really her widest point is in the right pace but other markers such as the main mast are in the wrong place. the width is good for a post ship/corvette (depending on where from she hails) but the main and mizzen mast need to move back a few suds. Her bow is also drawn out more than is realistic. it should be bluffer, or rounder, so that that widest point is extended for a few studs at the waist of the ship. That's the middle, where the boat and main hatchway should be, in front of the main mast. It is a good first effort, but do you really want your work qualified so? Wouldn't you rather call her a WIP or, better yet, work on her till she good, not just "good for a..."? I dono, maybe that's just me, but what can I do but view the world through my own lens? Anyway, I like what you have here. I always applaud innovation and any builder trying to do something beyond the norm, so kudos to you for what ever they are worth. I have more notes, but you haven't asked so I'll, otherwise, keep it to myself. Sorry to burst in, big thumbs up :pir-thumb: from me, keep building, thanks for sharing.

Dave :pir-huzzah2:

Excellent build, fit for a Lord Pirate!!! Regarding its width, I find "chubby" ships more pleasing to the eye and "playable" of some sort as their ample space make for easier positioning of props like minifigs, cannons etc. Plus they resemble my childhood Styrofoam ships :pir-tongue:

21 hours ago, kurigan said:

OK, I started replying, then thought better of it. then I started re-reading the thread and am again inspired to take the chance to chime in. Wish me luck!

No, she's not bulky, her widest point is just in the wrong spot. Really her widest point is in the right pace but other markers such as the main mast are in the wrong place. the width is good for a post ship/corvette (depending on where from she hails) but the main and mizzen mast need to move back a few suds. Her bow is also drawn out more than is realistic. it should be bluffer, or rounder, so that that widest point is extended for a few studs at the waist of the ship. That's the middle, where the boat and main hatchway should be, in front of the main mast. It is a good first effort, but do you really want your work qualified so? Wouldn't you rather call her a WIP or, better yet, work on her till she good, not just "good for a..."? I dono, maybe that's just me, but what can I do but view the world through my own lens? Anyway, I like what you have here. I always applaud innovation and any builder trying to do something beyond the norm, so kudos to you for what ever they are worth. I have more notes, but you haven't asked so I'll, otherwise, keep it to myself. Sorry to burst in, big thumbs up :pir-thumb: from me, keep building, thanks for sharing.

Aye, there's much wisdom in this post. 

The Main and Mizzen work in conjunction (more or less) to drive the rear of the ship. The Fore (and Jibs) drive the front. A ship who's mainmast is at it's center point would have a helluva time turning since the wind would keep pushing the center of mass... downwind. 

If I can offer another unsolicited suggestion: taper the hull towards the stern! The plan view of ships looked very "tear drop" like @kurigan said: the bluff/round bow, fat waist and then ... the taper!

Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing your new ships every time.

Edit: more detail re: the taper - The gun stripe and quarter galleries are pretty accurate, it's the hull formed underneath them that is essential undercut on a post ship/frigate/corvette. A picture is probably more helpful:

885cfd991b42dd191b6caa4814431333.jpg

Edited by Supersick_

On 8/6/2021 at 1:12 AM, kurigan said:

Thank you for the compliments and good tips. I didn't notice the main and mizzen mast before. Looking from above, I could have seen that they are too far forward. You are right just "good for a ..." is not enough for me. I'll do better on the next ship.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Excellent build, fit for a Lord Pirate!!! Regarding its width, I find "chubby" ships more pleasing to the eye and "playable" of some sort as their ample space make for easier positioning of props like minifigs, cannons etc. Plus they resemble my childhood Styrofoam ships :pir-tongue:

Thank you for the compliments. The space for positioning props minifigures and cannons was the reason to build a custom hull. I also remember the Styrofoam ships. They were a lot of fun.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, Enigma1612 said:

Really like the build. Curious to see how it changes from here.

Thank you for the compliments. I've seen some great ideas for building.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:51 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Fantastic ship model. You really know how these things must look like.

Thank you for the compliments. Building a custom hull is much more difficult, but the ship looks more realistic. A good challenge.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:59 PM, Supersick_ said:

Aye, there's much wisdom in this post. 

The Main and Mizzen work in conjunction (more or less) to drive the rear of the ship. The Fore (and Jibs) drive the front. A ship who's mainmast is at it's center point would have a helluva time turning since the wind would keep pushing the center of mass... downwind. 

If I can offer another unsolicited suggestion: taper the hull towards the stern! The plan view of ships looked very "tear drop" like @kurigan said: the bluff/round bow, fat waist and then ... the taper!

Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing your new ships every time.

Edit: more detail re: the taper - The gun stripe and quarter galleries are pretty accurate, it's the hull formed underneath them that is essential undercut on a post ship/frigate/corvette. A picture is probably more helpful:

885cfd991b42dd191b6caa4814431333.jpg

Thank you for the compliments and the photo. I will also taper the hull towards the stern on my next ship.

21 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

congratulation @NOD, you were...

2vuf.png

Thank you very much, it's a great honor.

13 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

And a well earned frontpaging too!

Good work, professor! :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you very much, it's a great honor.

Fantastic work! I really like how you made the hull of the ship and how the whole ship feels fluid if you understand what I am trying to say. 

Awesome job!

The way you did the lower section of the hull is truly inspiring!

On 8/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, Jerry McGlade said:

Fantastic work! I really like how you made the hull of the ship and how the whole ship feels fluid if you understand what I am trying to say. 

Thanks very much. I understand what you mean and that was exactly my intention. On the next ship I want to improve the hull and correct other mistakes.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:37 PM, Maxim I said:

Awesome job!

The way you did the lower section of the hull is truly inspiring!

Thanks very much. At the next ship I want to improve the Hull. If it's good enough then I want to build a Galleon.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, bertdaniel8 said:

Fantastic job. Is there access to lower deck?

Thank you very much!

You mean a view from the lower deck? No, this is not existing. In the case of a ship that I built with real bricks, after over a year, I only removed the upper deck 1x to take photos. That's why I'm not building an interior view.

The next ship with custom hull is already under construction. There are significant improvements.

JLa798zAADg6.... Sorry, I was 2 months off this forum during "summer", can someone sum up for me how many amazing new ships NOD just has published since then:pir-love:? I think I have to stop here commenting and just read the older posts...