blogged.png 

(I have spend a lot of time looking here at Imperial builds for inspiration, trying to design something like a smallish Imperial Outpost into my Crimson Mermaid display. It has been very educational, I still have a lot of trouble mocking with 'modern' Lego (anything past the sixties really). You all have been a great help and sown fantastic ideas, thank you so much!).

So without further ado: time to introduce a new faction onto my briney display shelf...

51210734973_8b8f8679a8_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 65: Meet the Empire... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

However, life for the basic imperial Solder is not as easy as it might seem...

51255836619_5392ae026f_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 69 (b): Meanwhile, far, far away... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

''See the world' they said...'

51256133610_36e117ec3f_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 69 (a): Meanwhile, far, far away... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'I wish someone had told me about the rowing though...'

51255092001_d624d71c8c_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 70 (a): Meanwhile, still far, far away... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'My dearest Petronella Gertruda,

I have finally been offered my first command! I will be in charge of a fort at Whale Island. I will also be in charge of the rest of the Island! I am a deputy Governor so to speak!

No more counting uniforms, no more signing paperwork!
Granted, I had hoped for a slightly bigger detail at my disposal, but I am sure I can make something of the recruit I have been issued. And the sergeant seems to be an experienced man, if a bit rough.

Best wishes and love, forever yours, Rupert...

51267642308_c3d81b1229_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 70 (c): Whale Rock Fort... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

It's not just the rowing; that old sergeant has some harrowing stories to tell! I think even our Lieutenant gets scared by his tales, although he does not show it...

51266890579_3dde352118_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 70 (a): Whale Rock Fort... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

Finally!

51268191559_c4a854a3a3_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 70 (b): Whale Rock Fort... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

Soon life on the outpost fell into some sort of routine...

51298014241_5da1d45f23_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 71 (a): Atten...TION! by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Morning sergeant. Have the men... man... up on the platform, ready for inspection sergeant.'

'Sir!'

'Dear lord this is sad, we really need to flesh out our detail a little on the first possible occasion sergeant.'

'Sir yes Sir!'

51298014186_457783913e_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 71 (c): Atten...TION! by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Every now and again we stumble into some left overs from former Outpost crews. Like the skeleton of a prisoner in the brig, And the one on the roof. Although I don't think that was a prisoner...'

51297269192_a2b9af25bb_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 71 (d): Atten...TION! by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Ahum... uhm, sergeant?
Why is there a skeleton standing to attention?'

'Left over from the last detail Sir. I remobilized him Sir.'

'Yes I could hear some rather colourful language coming down  through the roof sergeant...
But he is dead!'

'Still a soldier Sir. Got his shako and everything Sir. '

'Dead, sergeant, he's very dead! He's just a skeleton! How is he even standing to attention?'

'Four years as drill-sergeant Sir.'

'Yes, right. Well... Take him below, find an empty box, we'll send him off for a decent funeral with the first supply ship sergeant.'

'Sir Yes Sir.
PRIVATE BONES!!!
DIS... wait for it you rattling heap of calcium... MISSED!!!'

Yes, life at an outpost is never dull...

51354782663_8fb0f31f32_z.jpg

Entr'acte: Whale Rock Outpost by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

Time for a little exposé in broad daylight of my Imperial Outpost./Fortress.

The fortress has a few rather 'intimidating' sides, but also a slightly less intimidating and more 'improvised' looking side. Never look behind the golden curtains...

Big canon on the front, tall look out tower, and some enclosed spaces for the crew.

Note that it is not a 'roof top canon' like so many Lego sets offer. I have always had my doubts in roofs as a big gun platforms...

The back (and one side) offer a small dock with a rather minimal crane to load and unload goods. I think it is safe to say this is no harbour for large vessels...

51355573795_4290f7d1f4_z.jpg

The whole thing is based on the Sabre Island' set (6265) and the Broadside's Brigg' set (6259). I managed to get both sets not too expensive on Bricklink.

I bought those to get an idea about how to do a fortress, but also because the sets offered a slightly cheaper way to get soldiers and a few expensive parts (bricked wall panels, big Imperial flag and soldiers).

I liked the tower from Sabre Island a lot, and decided to keep it mostly 'as is' (added a few ladders and threw in one more panel). I also kept the basic prison cell from Broadside's Brigg, but sank it into the Rock (to keep it all within the small space I had for it).

Since my display space is limited, I wanted to build it all on a 16x32 plate, no bigger. That is half the size of the classic Eldorado Fortress. But at the same time I wanted to get most 'functionality' into that smaller space. It turned out to be a but of a squeeze, but I like the general shape better than I expected.

51354554476_bd1e523d76_z.jpg

For those looking for building detail (I.E. me when I want to rebuild this thing in a couple of years) showing the 4 sides.

I know some bricks looked rather yellowed, and the while thing has a slightly rickety appearance; I like it that way.

(in fact, I l like that so much that I am wondering if I could ordered 'yellowed' white stones from Bricklink for a castle I would one day like to build).

I wanted it all to look like a very old building that has been handed down through many years, probably first build by the Spanish (hence the slightly 'Castello' look of the upper levels).

51353812502_b656021137_z.jpg

Taking it apart...

This is perhaps the first time I tried to design and build a real interior.

For play- and posing-possibilities roofs can easily be removed, as can part of a wall and the prison cell front.

As it turns out, my wish to keep it all small made the interiors a bit TOO small to get into that with my camera.
Ah well, at least it is a small build.

And while taking pictures and telling stories is a big part of my pleasure, in the end, I mostly want a good looking build. And when put together, I am pretty happy with how my fortress looks...

51354782543_e4ae0ed602_z.jpg

The 'dirty' working backside; and a look into the barracks.

51355573760_5ed11758a1_z.jpg

The officers can just squeeze by (no bed, real gentlemen sleep standing straight, leaning in a corner to avoid wrinkling) but the barracks with their bunk bed are really way too small for any posing or pictures.

As for the sets all this was based on:

51211303144_51fab472d4_z.jpg

Entr'acte: Imperials sets 6265 (Sabre Island) and 6259 (Broadside's Brig) by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

The sets provided some 'special' parts I did not have yet (jail cell door, Imperial flags and, most important, Imperial Soldiers) plus some white and yellow bricks.

But of course after receiving those sets, I had to build them as designed first, to get an idea about those sets, and just to see how they were.

Sabre Island looks better in real life that in photo's. Although the watch tower is open on 2 sides and only fully closed at the front, it looks less like an open play set than I expected. Just add two ladders to the back, and you have a rather convincing watchtower...

Broadside's Brig on the other hand is really just a play set. With doorways leading no where and an absolutely minimal jail cell, it looks more like a stage set from a play than like anything real. But, in true Lego tradition, the potential for play is huge. Places to put minifigs all over, and with its bright colours it does invite to do so.

On the left in the background is my first attempt at 'Whale Rock', the base for what became my -very small and minimal- Imperial Outpost.

Pity the poor soldiers who get banned to that outpost...

blogged.png 

That's really a nice story and build ye got there! Can't wait to see what will happen in the future, when pirates and imperials will clash... :pir-oh:

Your storytelling and photography is on point, as always. Great MOC and hommage to the OG pirates :)

3 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

That's really a nice story and build ye got there! Can't wait to see what will happen in the future, when pirates and imperials will clash... :pir-oh:

Thank you! For now the Imperials at the fortress have other things than Pirates to worry about though. When you look at the picture of their arrival at Whale Rick Outpost, the was for a moment a hooded figure on the roof of the building, although they were never sure if it was really there or just a trick of the light. And they had that other skeleton in the brig, right?

Well...

51326032696_1454bd1ab0_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 73 (a): The Great Escape... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Hey, what...

HALT!
WHO GOES THERE?!? PASSWORD!
Ow crap, do we even have a password? Never Mind.

STOP OR I'LL SHOOT!

uhm...'

51326032666_bd703da78b_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 73 (b): The Great Escape... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'grmblmmbl...

What's with all the shouting soldier? Could you keep it down a little? People are trying to sleep down here!'

'Prisoner escaping sergeant!'

'Prisoner? What prisoner? All we have is a bunch of bones in the brigg! Bones don't...

AAAAH!'

51326032641_a59c31965a_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 73 (c): The Great Escape... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

triple 'AAAAAAH!'

2 hours ago, zinnn said:

Your storytelling and photography is on point, as always. Great MOC and hommage to the OG pirates :)

Thank you! I was not sure if this was alright to post in the MOC forum, as it is all based on old sets after all. I decided to try it and see what happens...

Both the build and the story are absolutely wonderful! Your posts are always a delight to read and explore!

Great story and photos. The little outpost is varied and interesting.

12 hours ago, PxChris said:

Both the build and the story are absolutely wonderful! Your posts are always a delight to read and explore!

Thank you very much! Just trying to make a post like I enjoy from others!

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Hey look! It's one of those flying whales! :pir-grin:

Hehehe, never trust the stories of sailors!

6 hours ago, NOD said:

Great story and photos. The little outpost is varied and interesting.

Thank you! I am pretty happy with how it came out, even when a little small!

2 hours ago, VaneStream said:

I am so impressed with your photography! The lighting in this shot is absolutely amazing, such an intriguing mood!

Thank you! I must admit its rather easy; using small lights in picture always makes for magic!

On 8/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, jan kusters said:

'Dead, sergeant, he's very dead! He's just a skeleton! How is he even standing to attention?'

'Four years as drill-sergeant Sir.'

:roflmao:

I love everything about this post

18 hours ago, Fraunces said:

:roflmao:

I love everything about this post

Thank you!

By now my fortress has had a visit from its first supply ship, and is a bit better stocked...

51419729139_f388eb9e94_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 78 (a); A supply ship has arrived by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Hay ho, we're no supplies!'

'We are well stocked on hard tack and salted beef boys, it's soldiers we need! Welcome to your new posting...'

Ah well. Luckily the soldier rowing the boat was not send off  all on his own.

51421429246_10ebb17050_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 78 (b); A supply ship has arrived by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'But Sir!'

'No buts soldier, this private is going home with you, and that's it!
Yes, he is dead.
No, we don't  have space here for a decent grave.
And no, he won't stay in his chest for the journey. How would you feel, all cooped up in a chest for days at sea!
Give the poor man a break, he has served the Empire till the end. Sadly we had another dead person for burial, but that one escaped...'

'Escaped sir?!?'

'Yes, well, never mind that soldier. Now I am sure your superiors at the fort will give this brave man a decent burial.
Off you go soldier, see you in a month!'

51422944105_534c10d46b_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 78 (c); A supply ship has arrived (and left) by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'NO! You don't need to pay me! Just sit down and... keep still!
Who do you thing I am?!? Charon, ferryman of the dea...
Oh crap, I am, am I not?'

I just keep playing with the stuff on my self, setting up situations. Sometimes it takes a week or more of moving stuff around before I decide its is not really working out. And sometimes it just all drops into place.

Edited by jan kusters
minor corrections

Lovely fort and a well presented story. I love how quickly they all come to accept the the skeletons aren't just going to sit around all day doing nothing.:pir_laugh2:

3 hours ago, rock raider said:

Lovely fort and a well presented story. I love how quickly they all come to accept the the skeletons aren't just going to sit around all day doing nothing.:pir_laugh2:

Thank you! Well, out at sea, sailors are used to strange things no landlubber has ever seen...

Meanwhile, the lieutenant seems ta have second thoughts on his 'well stocked'...

51484480265_3b981137ce_z.jpgThe Briney Brick 80 (c); Dinner time... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'It's not that I do not like hard tack, sergeant. It's just that for once I would like a dinner that I could eat with real cutlery in stead of hammer and chisel...'

Season is hitting hard on Whale Rock Island...

51611070265_a0a6d91bfe_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 84 (a); back for an old friend... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

Sssssssh... Be very quiet now...

Douse the lamp... We're going to find that dead soldier that was in the fortress too...

51611070205_04c0101e44_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 84 (b); AAAAH! (and more panicy sounds...) by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'ALARM!!! They're back!!!'

'Who's ba...AAAAAH! A walking skeleton! That's a walking skeleton! Another walking skeleton! More walking skeletons!'

'Up! Up! Get up to the tower!!!, move, move'

'Get that lamp out of my eyes Soldier, and take this ladder! Move!'

'What about the lieutenant, sergeant?'

'Trapped in his room, I could not get to him! Probably looking up how to kill dead people in his military handbook! Forget the lieutenant...'

51609366262_d8a20fb7f7_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 84 (c); Parley!!! by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Sorry about that sword, old man, it's just when you burst in like that... Anyway, tea?

Now let me see, a dead soldier, yes, we found a dead soldier when we came here. He is on route to the main land right now.

You want him? Why? Hapier with your lot? Hmmmyes, you might be right Sir, he certainly did not like to stay in his coffin...

Tell you what. He was in no way fit for duty, I'll sign the papers for his release from military duty. If you hurry, you might very well catch up with them, they are in a row boat going west...

Just came acorss this today. Fun story and great mocs! Sabre Island is one of my favorite Lego sets from childhood and i love to see it come to life in an updated version in your moc.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:40 PM, jan kusters said:

Thank you very much

It was my pleasure to interview you and to work on it. Just to let you know, our Governor, @Mister Phes, also invested considerable time, and some of his special magic dust, to make the post even better.

I'm only sorry you had to wait more than a year until we get around your fantastic design and hilarious backstory, but better late than never. 

I hope we will see you again in the Pirates waters when you had your fun in Space... or even better, when you make new story about Pirates in Space :pir-triumph:

7 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Just to let you know, our Governor, @Mister Phes, also invested considerable time, and some of his special magic dust, to make the post even better.

Thank ye for the acknowledgement!

But it was your hard work and diligence that made Jan's creations work in blog post format - this was certainly one of the more challenging posts in regards to making everything flow seamlessly. :pir-thumb:

I thought I recognized Saber Island :pir_laugh2:. Well done, I like the atmosphere in your pictures.