Feuer Zug

Platform 9 and 3 quarters

The Platform 9 and 3 quarters that comes with 75955 Hogwarts Express is rather small and limited. It pales in comparison to the real King's Cross terminal. I have extended the length of the platforms, raised the bridge enough to enable most locomotives and rolling stock to pass under it (double stack intermodal and auto rack don't fit.) The pièce de résistance is the overhead covering. I know it doesn't fully capture the look of the station, but I feel that within the size constrains of my layout and budget, it gives a far better feel.

51350433358_4e72412ea2_c.jpg

51350206541_eb3f126780_c.jpg

51349475527_26796bb850_c.jpg

With the top removed.

51350433783_a0a65d2bab_c.jpg[/url]

Gandalf blocks the bridge over track nine, crying, "You shall NOT pass!"

Rolling his eyes, Dumbledore sighs. "That joke gets older every time you do it."

"I know, but it's my best line," protests Gandalf, allowing Dumbledore to cross.

51350433858_a2edeca862_z.jpg

Wow, this is a beautiful terminal. So many details, very nice usage of the ever too much track curves - really nice to look at. And certainly to see trains stop by and take off of rush through!!!

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

I know it doesn't fully capture the look of the station, but I feel that within the size constrains of my layout and budget, it gives a far better feel.

OK, whatever station it should capture: This station would for sure better looking if it were looking like yours!

Second: What you feel, is the one and most important thing here! When you are looking at yours station (and I guess this will be almost every day - I sure would; this is what I do every day here) and feel good about it: It does not get any better.

Third: Oh yes, budget constraints plus size of layout. That is always a chore. However: You really mastered it: I can't see any constraints here - it is just a beautiful building/station!

Congratulations on your accomplishment - and thank you for sharing!

Best wishes,
Thorsten 

Your build is a vast improvement over the tiny slice of station provided in the set. The removable canopy really adds a lot. Is the middle platform is 9 3/4, while the side platform 9 or 10?

20 hours ago, Toastie said:

Wow, this is a beautiful terminal. So many details, very nice usage of the ever too much track curves - really nice to look at. And certainly to see trains stop by and take off of rush through!!!

OK, whatever station it should capture: This station would for sure better looking if it were looking like yours!

Second: What you feel, is the one and most important thing here! When you are looking at yours station (and I guess this will be almost every day - I sure would; this is what I do every day here) and feel good about it: It does not get any better.

Third: Oh yes, budget constraints plus size of layout. That is always a chore. However: You really mastered it: I can't see any constraints here - it is just a beautiful building/station!

Congratulations on your accomplishment - and thank you for sharing!

Best wishes,
Thorsten 

Thorsten, thanks for the good words. I have loads of spare curved track, but not enough clear panels to extend the design. I've seen others use the technique, so I copied it. I do feel good about the design. It adds a lot to the station and the layout. Cheers.

50 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Your build is a vast improvement over the tiny slice of station provided in the set. The removable canopy really adds a lot. Is the middle platform is 9 3/4, while the side platform 9 or 10?

Thank you. With the second carriage for the train, and other trains being far longer, I felt the platform needed to be lengthened. It always seemed to be missing something though, so I thought back to the time I was as the real King's Cross and remembered the roof.