eric trax

[MOC] Volvo G990 Grader - LEGO Technic 42114 Model B

I can say that since I saw the first photos of the 42114 set, I already had an idea for an alternative model. Unfortunately, as usual, the idea had to wait to materialize.

volvo_g990_01.jpg

Photo for comparison with the original:

volvo_g990_16.jpg

Despite the fact that the 42114 kit has problems with the articulation and a fairly limited number of useful elements, I saw potential in it. Six wheels and Volvo stickers were enough to conclude that Volvo also produces graders. I waited with this idea to start building the model for almost a year.

First, I assumed the model was to use the official model A control profile. I had to use the gearbox. I explored this topic while building a Mining Dump Truck. Despite the massive rear section, the positioning of the gearbox and engines proved problematic. I moved the wheel hubs down to gain more space and that was the right direction to build. As a result, I have a lot of space for details such as the radiator, engine grille and internal air filter. Thanks to these elements, the back part is nice to build and the whole process does not get boring.

Even before starting work on the grader, I knew that the front part would be a challenge. I immediately got a realistic look at the steering. I placed the motor over the front axle as far as the cable length would allow. The steering works freely, much better than in the A model.

The front frame is quite an interesting story. I was concerned that the long section itself would bend. It turned out, however, that the biggest problem is that the frame is firmly attached to the rear part. Finally, the entire cabin, including the roof, stabilizes the entire vehicle, which is very long (67 cm).

volvo_g990_07.jpg

I am satisfied with the blade section. I managed to get the nice look of this part by turning over the linear actuators. Thanks to this, the mounts are not so massive. The blade rotates on a small turntable and is stabilized with liftarms on the sides to eliminate backlash. It can be locked in seven positions: perpendicular - 0 degrees, and left / right at angles of 30, 36, 43 degrees.

An interesting fact is the arrangement of the control plus elements. The Technic hub is centrally located to allow easy access to the battery compartment. I have placed the motors in the outermost parts of the model and the cables are 100% used and no motor could be moved even one stud away.

An additional interesting feature is the ripper. It is lowered manually and locked. It turned out very aesthetically and has a very positive effect on the appearance of the entire model. Marton from forwartsticker designed a custom sticker sheet for this model, thanks to which the whole thing looks amazing.

Building instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-83625/M_longer/42114-volvo-g990-grader/

Custom sticker sheet: https://forwartsticker.com/termek/fws74-moc-83625/

Photos and Video:

volvo_g990_01.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_02.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_03.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_04.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_06.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_06.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_07.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_08.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_09.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_10.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_11.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_12.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_13.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_14.jpg_thumb.jpg volvo_g990_15.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by eric trax

This one is impressive; huge and impressive; specially blade function. Now if I could squeeze this (comete) functionality into smaller scale based on 68.7 (Batman) tires that would be something... Yet again great B-model :thumbup:

Seeing B models this fantastic makes me want to purchase another set.. must resist, must resist. Really great work, Eric.

Beautifully done, and wonderfully presented as well.  The cutaway view in particular is great.

55 minutes ago, M4rk said:

must resist, must resist.

Two new 42114 alternate models are planned on schedule for next few months ;)

Awesome B model - gotta love a grader!

50 minutes ago, M_longer said:

You guys rule :wub:

That's one big beast, great B/C-model :-)

1 hour ago, M_longer said:

I wish I'd had more time on my hand to also realize my B-Model idea...

It looks like a scale model. Very very very accurate. Great job!

13 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

What a nice model, so much effort into a perfect looking grader, custom stickers, photo, video, instructions. Wow, unbelievable @eric trax and @M_longer.

Thank you for noticing it. We always care about the highest quality.

For example, building the model took me three weeks, but two months it took to prepare: stickers, instructions, building test models, taking photos and a video :)

There are a few decent graders made with Lego and yours has been done from a set, I have said enough. I do not envy that you can do that I envy that you have fun doing this and not me... :cry_sad: .

On 8/1/2021 at 9:06 PM, jorgeopesi said:

There are a few decent graders made with Lego and yours has been done from a set, I have said enough. I do not envy that you can do that I envy that you have fun doing this and not me...

This is not entirely true.

I demand a lot from myself when I'm building, taking photos, making video, and I get nervous a lot. I am a perfectionist and it helps me be to be a better designer. In the end, you must enjoy what you have built and appreciate yourself. This moivates you to keep building :pir-blush:

Edited by eric trax

This is really worth to be official B-model. Lego is really lasy novadays.

Great model!

@eric trax: I am asking myself if there are building technics or anything else which would stop Lego from making a b-model like this.

Just now, m2fel said:

Great model!

@eric trax: I am asking myself if there are building technics or anything else which would stop Lego from making a b-model like this.

Yes. It is called accounting and Microsoft Excel.

But seriously, according to statistics, only 20% of customers downloaded the instructions for the B models, so they dropped them off in large sets for savings.

40 minutes ago, eric trax said:

Yes. It is called accounting and Microsoft Excel.

But seriously, according to statistics, only 20% of customers downloaded the instructions for the B models, so they dropped them off in large sets for savings.

It's hard when you were part of that 20%... :cry_sad:

1 hour ago, eric trax said:

But seriously, according to statistics, only 20% of customers downloaded the instructions for the B models

Yeah, and I think that's their own fault. Printed BI's would have raised that 20% for sure.

When I was a kid I didn't have any device at all, so I didn't get access to the digital B-Model instructions. But I did build the few alt builds that did have printed BI's. 

2 hours ago, eric trax said:

It almost feels like digital BI were set up to fail.

If you're going to go to the effort of having a B-Model, that model (and therefore the instructions) should be put in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

Even with near-universal access to digital content, most people who buy a set won't be downloading digital BI, for a number of reasons.

I understand the reasoning to save paper, but in doing so, the designer's efforts are essentially wasted instead.

Back on topic, flipping the actuators over is an incredibly simple solution, but only to those with the skill and experience to see it! Thanks to you & @M_longer for this instant purchase.

Edited by Jay Psi

I will say: this is how Model A should look like for this set. Because this grader perfectly repeats the design of the original. But the official model is not

On 8/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, Gray Gear said:

When I was a kid I didn't have any device at all, so I didn't get access to the digital B-Model instructions. But I did build the few alt builds that did have printed BI's. 

When I was a kid, alternative models were build from tiny pictures of box in LEGO catalog (when I was lucky thaty parents best me brought them from Graz; Austria) and all alternative models had wrong colors....

On 8/3/2021 at 4:19 PM, Jay Psi said:

It almost feels like digital BI were set up to fail.

If you're going to go to the effort of having a B-Model, that model (and therefore the instructions) should be put in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

Even with near-universal access to digital content, most people who buy a set won't be downloading digital BI, for a number of reasons.

I understand the reasoning to save paper, but in doing so, the designer's efforts are essentially wasted instead.

Back on topic, flipping the actuators over is an incredibly simple solution, but only to those with the skill and experience to see it! Thanks to you & @M_longer for this instant purchase.

You are quite right. Downloading additional instructions is not as obvious as taking the second book out of the box. However, I think that the perception of Lego bricks has changed as well. It used to be a creative toy from which children created many different toys. Now it's also about styles for adults aged 20-40.

Thank you for appreciating the idea of inverting the actuators. It is very simple, but it became the impulse to build this model.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:27 PM, Akassin said:

I will say: this is how Model A should look like for this set. Because this grader perfectly repeats the design of the original. But the official model is not

Over the past several years, Lego Technic models have become very similar to real machines, but they still have problems with the correct scale dimensions. When building, few people pay close attention to the scale, but this is the key to getting a realistic MOC look.