Kio Liex

[TC20] 8660 - Arctic Rescue Unit 2021 - Studless

What a cool content categori. When I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to build, the Arctic Rescue Unit. This set brings back so many memories, it was my favorite set for many years, and maybe still is!?

I will be trying to stay as close to the original scale, visual apperence and functions as possible. I still have the original set assembled so it will be easy to compare when I have build something.

So to warm up I will start with the little red bulldozer. I tried several designs, actually had one done, but I wasn't satified with it so I build another one. This one was much better in my opinion, what du you think?

Enjoy the pictures.

First determine the right size:
%5BTC20%5D_Arctic_Rescue_Unit_2021_-_866 

The newer catterpiller-tracks are to big in my opinion:

First few iterations, frame testing with panels etc.:

First design done, I am not that happy with it:

Starting another design, again:

Done, this one I am happy with, for now:

Driver is also happy with it:

New vehicle requires a test drive:

A few pictures after cleaning up the build area:

Edited by Kio Liex
Changed title

I started on the bigger white vehicle. First determining which tires to use, I can remember that I really wanted to have dobble tires on it when I was a child, so I was temted to use the 43.2 x 22 tires, but I have ended up using the 43.2 x 14 tires, they also have a similar patten.

Next I started on the frame as the will propebly be the hardest to make, containing both the stering and the gears for the rear door.

I really enjoy build these rather simple models.

Nice choice and good progress!  You're the second entry in the contest choosing this set. Good luck with this contest!

A couple of remarks, I hope it helps!

• there is a typo in the topic tile I think: Strudless instead of Studless. (and a type in the first sentence)
  • consider using the actual version of the Technic, Gear 24 Tooth for the red bulldozer
  • the blade is attached in the same way as the original version, maybe you should consider a more contemporary approach here, for example using a lift-arm, just an idea..

Thanks for your feedback, title have been changed. 

I used the old version of the 24 tooth gear to match color. I will concider updating it. 

Same as with the gear, I wanted to stay as close to the original. 

I general I am think alot more about adding details, functions so it is more like a modern Technic set. 

Since you mention space constraints in the chassis of the white vehicle, remember that modern gear racks can be mounted upside down and driven from below as well.

Less authentic, of course, but if you need the room...

Edited by pleegwat

I am happy you are doing this set, as this was released with my favorite old sets, 8640. I hope you are able to finish in time. 

5 hours ago, pleegwat said:

remember that modern gear racks can be mounted upside down

I have tried this, but this is a really small model. Some of the things are acually easier with the old Technic bricks.

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I am happy you are doing this set, as this was released with my favorite old sets, 8640. I hope you are able to finish in time. 

I am thinking of doing the 8640 and the 8620 after the content is over. 

Now for my update, I got a little more done today, making great progress. The post from this morning was yesterdays build, I will try and post bafore I go to bed. 

Starting the day with assuring that the outerlines was correct:

Then testing it on the chassic:

Next up was getting the stering to work as on the original model, here I opdated it so it is angled:

Front was not that hard, also the roof was quickly done:

Today I finnished it to a state where it is similar in functions and look as the original. However I am concidering making it 6x6 driving a fake V6 engine. What do you think, will it be adding to many features? My own reason is that almost all newer Technic cars have some kind of fake engine.

Enjoy the few pictures from today:

Looking good, the only thing I would suggest is to rotate the 9 and 11 stud long white beams under grill to be in the same orientation as the grill so you have a smoother surface.

Edited by Zerobricks

32 minutes ago, Kio Liex said:

Today I finnished it to a state where it is similar in functions and look as the original. However I am concidering making it 6x6 driving a fake V6 engine. What do you think, will it be adding to many features? My own reason is that almost all newer Technic cars have some kind of fake engine.

Well, a newer set certainly might have a piston engine, but it would probably just drive it from the middle axle, rather than going for a full 6x6. 6x6 is cooler, though!

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Looking good, the only thing I would suggest is to rotate the 9 and 11 stud long white beams under grill to be in the same orientation as the grill so you have a smoother surface.

I agree, I will see what I can do. Should be possible, but then again, then the ones on the side might also have to be flipped :pir-sceptic:

I will give the 6x6 with engine a try. :pir_laugh2:

Yesterday started with working out how the 6x6 drivetrain should be, I tryed several designs for the drive line in the stering. The biggest challenge was to have enough ground clearence:

Next was making room for a motor, from the first chassic I knew that room would be a big problem. However I got it all to fit:

Bonus info, I made the old chassic so it could relatively easy be removed from the body.  This is however not the case with the new one:

The old and the new chassic compared:

Any chance of stacking thin liftarms in place of the 11 thick to add in the red stripe on the side? 

7 hours ago, KevinMD said:

Any chance of stacking thin liftarms in place of the 11 thick to add in the red stripe on the side? 

I have thought of that, but I don't have that many in both white and red. But My plan is to use some red and blue tape and make the line and the "snow" patterns with these, I would ague that it is custom stickers that is allowed as I understand the rules?

The daily update does not have that much to it.

The chassic and overall placement of the different things are in place. Sorry for the wierd bluryness on one of the pictures.

Another thing that actually is a little funny. I had a memory of a photo that was taken when I got the set for one of my birthdays as a child. I asked my mother if she could look for it. She found it and could tell me that it was for my 10 year birthday that I got it. It also got a digital version of the picture, but I don't think it is appropriate to post here (I sit in my bed only in my underpants) what do the admins say to this? :pir_tong2:

Today I had to take the chassic apart because I wanted to swap a grey piece to a blue one:

After the swap it was relatively quick to put it all back together at add the last pieces of the cabine:

Then it was time for the "stickers", I will try and explain what I did step by step.

First was the red lines, as these were the easy ones. It started with applying the red tape to the back of what ones had real stickers on it, this is so I can peel of the red strips without them loosening any stickyness:

Then I cut the strips in half a been width:

Removed it from the cutting area and applied it to the brick:

Next up was the blue "snow" logo. Here I draw the "pattern" on my computer with the lines going out past the circle, this is so I can see them when the circle is covered with the blue tape:

The circle was covered with double sidded tape leaving the top protection on, this has a similar surface a the "paper" from the stickers meaning I can easy remove the pattern after cutting:

Then I added the blue tape:

And started cutting along the lines of my pattern, starting with removing the middle part as the was symetrical:

Then I cut each of the small "cheeses" in their right pattern again following the lines I made:

To get the blue snow pattern over on to the LEGO panel, I covered it with transparent tape and peeled it of very slowly:

Applied it to the panel and removed the transperent tape:

Then it was just a matter of making one more:

And then the truck was done:

Edited by Kio Liex

Todays post is just some additional pictures from the photoshoot. Enjoy.

Nice entry, well done! Good work on recreating the stickers and showing the process of creating them.