Hello!

I am finally back from a long 3 year dark age... Though I will be disappearing again to finish my senior year away at university. I logged on just in time to see that I had 3 days left for this contest, so I challenged myself to a one-day build. And I think I have successfully completed the challenge! Here is my revamped take on the classic Technic 8408 Desert Racer. Clean and proper photos will be forthcoming tomorrow, with daylight, alongside an entry topic.

Basic info:

1. The original model, being studfull, had a lot of half-beam differences. I have tried to replicate these as closely as possible, leaving the chassis an even width (4,6,8 studs) while the front axle has a half-stud offset, along with the fake engine, not to mention the entire steering system...

2. Some colors have been changed, including, but not limited to: the front bumper is now Dark Bluish Gray, as I don't have the cams in Light Bluish Gray, the flex axles are not black instead of Dark Gray, and all the bevel gears are now Tan instead of Light Gray. Also, the Light Gray 24-tooth crown gear that drove the engine is now replaced by the modern Dark Bluish Gray 24-tooth gear. The fake steering wheel is Dark Bluish Gray, as I apparently cannot find my Light Bluish Gray steering wheel...

3. All original functions have been kept, including rear differential, HoG steering, and fake V2 engine, driven by the rear axle.

Please give feedback on this model, I would love to hear what could be improved.

Photos:

51348432197_cbb235c69e_c.jpg[TC20] 8408

51349372103_69655aa5c0_c.jpg[TC20] 8408 Revamp

51348416502_81c815a0fc_c.jpg[TC20] 8408 Revamp

51349885899_4c331f15ff_c.jpg[TC20] 8408 Revamp

51348416242_e0ea119f78_c.jpg[TC20] 8408 Revamp

Cheers!

- Leo

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Fixed the photos...

For a one-day build, that's quite impressive.
Overall this looks quite close to the original.
The front miss a bit the triangular shapes imo, and the curve made by the flex axle are a bit strange.
Other than that, it looks cool !
(+1 for keeping the even number of stud, and including 7L large direction system.)

I suggested someone to build this in other place, not sure if that was you, but I hoped someone would do this set.

Pretty good job for a one day build, I expected it to take a lot more time when I looked at the instructions of the original set.

What I would fix though:

1) The flexible axles should form a curve - that was something that really defined the shape of the original model. You should probably figure out a way to push the attachment points at the back one stud forward for it to happen.

2) I would probably use some rounded panels as front fenders and maybe try using them at the back - that's how I would envision those triangles being handled with contemporary pieces.

3) I would use 12 tooth gear for the HOG knob as it's closer to the original knob.

4) I would try putting blue pins in those angled liftarms over the seats where the "headrests" were.

5) I would probably try to use shorter liftarm in front of the "door" part at different angle so this construction isn't open in front. I know it's how the original one, but I'd consider it being a modernisation to not have such unfinished/open lines. Note that it made sense for the original to have it angled like that because the back portion of the front fender was attached to it, but you don't do that here.

Anyway, I'm glad that someone picked up this set :D

5 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

For a one-day build, that's quite impressive.
Overall this looks quite close to the original.
The front miss a bit the triangular shapes imo, and the curve made by the flex axle are a bit strange.
Other than that, it looks cool !
(+1 for keeping the even number of stud, and including 7L large direction system.)

Thanks! I also miss the triangle shapes, but I don't have any yellow panels that would even out the shape. I'm gonna work on the flex axles' shape, I wish I had longer ones...

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Great job! It would be cool if a more contemporary balloon tyre were used. This one would look good, for example:

4518826.jpg

If I had those, I would use them. Also, on this model, the fenders are already very close to the tires, anything larger would end up touching.

5 hours ago, SaperPL said:

I suggested someone to build this in other place, not sure if that was you, but I hoped someone would do this set.

Pretty good job for a one day build, I expected it to take a lot more time when I looked at the instructions of the original set.

What I would fix though:

1) The flexible axles should form a curve - that was something that really defined the shape of the original model. You should probably figure out a way to push the attachment points at the back one stud forward for it to happen.

2) I would probably use some rounded panels as front fenders and maybe try using them at the back - that's how I would envision those triangles being handled with contemporary pieces.

3) I would use 12 tooth gear for the HOG knob as it's closer to the original knob.

4) I would try putting blue pins in those angled liftarms over the seats where the "headrests" were.

5) I would probably try to use shorter liftarm in front of the "door" part at different angle so this construction isn't open in front. I know it's how the original one, but I'd consider it being a modernisation to not have such unfinished/open lines. Note that it made sense for the original to have it angled like that because the back portion of the front fender was attached to it, but you don't do that here.

Anyway, I'm glad that someone picked up this set :D

It was not me you suggested this set to, but I'm glad you like it. I wish I could do the front fenders better, I might have to cave and use a few cheese slopes... The flex axles have a planned fix, and so do the headrests.

More photos will come after some updates. Cheers!

- Leo

1 hour ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

If I had those, I would use them. Also, on this model, the fenders are already very close to the tires, anything larger would end up touching.

I think they're the same size or smaller.

Thanks @Maaboo35, I'm still trying to work on the fenders, but not much so far... Might go back to the first idea, and add a couple cheese slopes. These fender panels don't work well in the space on this model.