sebulba56

[Instructions now available !] [TC20] 2020's 8880 supercar

Link to the instructions : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-106519/Sebulba56/8880-remastered/#details

Hey ! Today I present you my entry for the TC20 contest. This is a 2020's version of the 90's 8880 supercar. Here are some pictures to begin with :

51341912672_d7270abb93_c.jpg

51343649505_1e41b2f5b0_c.jpg

About the design, I tried to keep the original proportions, angles and shapes as much as possible. I think I managed to keep the main look of the car. I of course reproduced the classic details of the car like the yellow lines, the white interior, the rear spoiler. My idea with this model was to use in the best way all the new elements that the studless era has brought. Those new elements of course include the panels, that I used to create a plainer bodywork. It also allowed to include new elements that missed to the original model, the best example is the opening doors.

51342858443_415fabe61b_c.jpg

51342859448_e39f0b6834_c.jpg

On the side of the functions, I created a whole new chassis and managed to keep all the original functions. I struggled to make the 4x4x4 configurations. But I made some changes in the original organization of the chassis. I move the HOG to the front. This allowed me to move the fake engine just before the rear axle, which make a rear central configuration, more realistic. The gearbox still has 4 speed but is no longer manual, it is now sequential with flapping paddles under the steering wheel. The sequential system has a limiter that stop the paddles if you want to move between 4th an 1st or between 1st and 4th. On the top of that, the pop up headlights use a worm to keep position, followed by a few connecting rods. The fold in perfectly. All the functions work well, the 4 speeds don't crack, the wheels don't touch the mudguards and everything folds in and out perfectly.

On the following pictures you can see the rear axle and the fake engine :

51341913942_f6ef28afdc_c.jpg

Here is the front axle with the headlight folded in and out :

51342858963_7d4dc35f13_c.jpg

51342631376_07e45fac27_c.jpg

Here are the two sides of the interior where you can see the paddles and the limiter :

51341913847_85e7661e79_c.jpg

51341913492_cab94d40df_c.jpg

Here you can see a part the underside of the car, precisely under the fake engine. There is the central differential, a part of the gear box, and the rear of the steering system :

51343375769_8bc687d111_c.jpg

To finish here are some more pictures of the exterior :

51343650235_209fb1f711_c.jpg

51341913357_69a1d2d3b7_c.jpg

51342859078_aa472282ed_c.jpg

51341913862_db85cbe588_c.jpg

51343375389_19434b5535_c.jpg

51342632131_8c8af016e3_c.jpg

51342858163_8466fdd634_c.jpg

To conclude I really enjoyed making this MOC and I hope it will please you !

Edited by sebulba56

Fascinating to see the different interpretations of the brief within the various 8880 entries - this one is perhaps furthest from replicating the original in appearance but closest in terms of how I'd imagine a contemporary studless set to be designed. The judging for this contest is going to be extremely difficult!

Really cool way to modernise this set. Especially that we can see few approaches to the same set.

The only thing that I would nit-pick here is that suspensions feels a bit low in comparison to the original set.

Thank you all for your comments I am happy that everybody understood my vision of a modernisation of the set !

I think your entry in the entry topic has too many photos. It is supposed to be 4 in total including the photo of the original or comparison to it.

51 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

I think your entry in the entry topic has too many photos. It is supposed to be 4 in total including the photo of the original or comparison to it.

I don't know the rule are not clear about this. Maybe an admin could clarify.

1 hour ago, sebulba56 said:

I don't know the rule are not clear about this. Maybe an admin could clarify.

I think the rule is quite clear, a quote from the entry topic:

"One or more images (max 4).  You can have combined pictures (4 in 1) as long as the picture isn't bigger than 1024x1024."

So you can link up to 4 image files in your post, with maximum size of 1024x1024 pixels each. You can combine more photos in a single image, as long as the size isn't exceeded.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

I think the rule is quite clear, a quote from the entry topic:

"One or more images (max 4).  You can have combined pictures (4 in 1) as long as the picture isn't bigger than 1024x1024."

So you can link up to 4 image files in your post, with maximum size of 1024x1024 pixels each. You can combine more photos in a single image, as long as the size isn't exceeded.

I will modify my post then

On 5/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, Jim said:

A maximum of four images total. One of them containing a reference to the original. This can be a side-by-side comparison picture or a separate picture.

Just so you know that it was asked already.

Now we're talking! I much prefer your approach to quite a few of the other entries which largely just substitute the studded components for studless ones one-for-one.

I like it! The pop-ups look good and the bodylines replicate the original ones while not looking "forced". 

Only thing I dislike is the transmission. A sequential 4-speed isn't cutting it for me as a new interpretation. In 2016 maybe, but not now.

10 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Only thing I dislike is the transmission. A sequential 4-speed isn't cutting it for me as a new interpretation. In 2016 maybe, but not now.

A sequential gearbox with paddle shifters is definitely a new interpretation regarding the #8880.

If you are telling that in relation to global Technic evolution, I'd say yes, but there are not dozens of ways to design a car gearbox, though.

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I like it! The pop-ups look good and the bodylines replicate the original ones while not looking "forced". 

From my point of view, i did not want to do too much so i kept the 4 speeds of the original car and juste changed the way of switching between the gears. Moreover, an 8 speed sequential gearbox would be very tricky here considering that you have to pass the steering axle in the midle of the gearbox. To sum up I prefered to keep a simple but efficient mecanic.

I think you've done the right thing. Although the set was released in 1994, it looks more like a car from the eighties, so 4 speeds isn't ridiculously out of place anyway.

This is exactly what I expected from this competition. Not a beam-by-beam replacement, but capturing the essence of the original design, and replicating it with new parts and building technics.

Wow. I have to say my heart started beating faster when I saw this :) The overall shape is instantly recognizable, the lines of the original are well retained, and the modern paneling also works really well, both the wing shapes and the flat ones at the front. I also like that you changed the gearbox into sequential, and I think 4 speeds is enough, especially given the original. Furthermore, I like how the whole bodywork and suspension feels lowered compared to the original, it's more sporty this way. For me, the original had a bit too high curves especially at the front. Great job!

Very nice! I really like the "re-imagining" approach, rather than just "rebuilding studless", while still staying instantly recognizable.