Here's my little RC model of the classic Jeep Willys. It's a fairly simple 4x4 vehicle without differentials and with pendular suspension, with probably the only fancy feature being the use of the spare wheel to turn the Control+ hub on. The only challenges were building it in dark green (18 grille tiles in dark green took me about 2 months to buy and I had to literally give up on trying to buy this piece: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=24299#T=S&C=80&O={"color":80,"iconly":0} ) and balancing things. Balancing looks vs functions, speed vs torque, and literally balancing the heavy smart hub in the back. I've decided not to build another super-slow high-torque crawler because I wanted the model to keep some resemblance of speed - real Jeeps are after all speedy machines. So it's got 3.89:1 gear reduction from two C+ L motors, which is just enough to climb 18° incline and to whizz through grass, sand, dirt and some rocks. There are two 16t gears in the drivetrain which can be replaced by a 12t/20t combo increasing the gear reduction to 6.48:1. There are also things I'm not happy with, such as the non-functional steering wheel (no room to connect it to the steering mechanism as there is only one place where the steering motor can fit) and the crude windshield, but there are no bar pieces in dark green and barely any hinges so you've got to work with what you have. So all in all, it's nothing too creative or groundbreaking but it's fun to drive outdoors and I think it looks reasonably detailed and accurate for the most part, given the limited choice of pieces.

Photos and some description: http://sariel.pl/2021/07/jeep-willys/

Instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-83359/Sariel/4x4-rc-jeep-willys/#details

Free instructions sample: http://sariel.pl/down/jeepwillys-sample.pdf

Edited by Sariel

Great little RC model of such a classic military vehicle.

But you’ve got the name the wrong way round it’s a Willys Jeep, not a Jeep Willys. Willys was one of the 2 company’s making them, the other being Ford.

Great model and great instructions! For what age of hamsters is this suposed to be, and do they need to wear seatbelts?

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

But you’ve got the name the wrong way round

If we get into technicalities, the "Jeep" part is incorrect in the first place, but I think "Jeep Willys" is the most recognizable and naturally sounding variation.

1 minute ago, Mr Jos said:

For what age of hamsters is this suposed to be, and do they need to wear seatbelts?

Seeing as hamsters are naturally equipped with their own airbags, I think seatbelts are optional ;)

Very nice MOC, realistic proportions, color and old 24 x 43 tires fit classic look extraordinary. IMHO it is spiritual (if my say so) successor of set 853 alternative model jeep with RC. I see calico cat is not harmed :thumbup:

Not sure about everywhere else, but in the USA, we always say the manufacturer first: “Honda Civic”, “Lancia Stratos”. Since Willys is the manufacturer, it should be first in the name. This is a favorite vehicle of many USA people, so expect lots of grumbling.

It is a beauty in either order.

Model is great, price for the instruction low - but hell, the price of building this in this colour from a new parts is astronomical.

1 minute ago, blondasek said:

Model is great, price for the instruction low - but hell, the price of building this in this colour from a new parts is astronomical.

You're not forced to build it in dark green, there are at least 4 other colors possible.

Looks great and performs really well. I'm amazed at how responsive your pendular suspension designs are - mine are always way too stiff.

Great model as always. Considering your limitations in regards of inventory, it is amazing what you were able to pull off. Great performance too, with all that weight in back :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

--------

As far as "IP" and whatever, there are thousands of MOCs of cars, trucks and other stuff that is model of "XYZ" company.  No one gives a megablock about it. 

It is a Willy's jeep, lol, any other way just doesn't sound right. Regardless it looks fabulous, enough so in fact that I think I will attempt my own version, thanks for the inspiration. 

Did you use another vehicles programing or did you create your own custom setup?

55 minutes ago, syclone said:

As far as "IP" and whatever, there are thousands of MOCs of cars, trucks and other stuff that is model of "XYZ" company.  No one gives a megablock about it. 

Sorry but I would have to very much disagree there. In fact just calling it a jeep and making money off it can land you in hot water. Jeep is very protective of their IP almost as much so as LEGO.

Edited by Johnny1360

17 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Jeep is very protective of their IP almost as much so as LEGO.

I've sold 9 instructions do far. I imagine the financial damage this caused to Jeep isn't fatal yet.

Maybe putting their logo on this is more harmfull for their IP...

Not sure if I'm allowed to post that photo here. MODs feel free to remove any offending pics.

2 hours ago, Sariel said:

Seriously, guys? Forcibly moved to the subforum nobody reads AGAIN?

Seriously, Pawel? Forcibly created a topic for a scale modeling MOC in the Technic subforum, AGAIN? (even though you have been asked to post scale modeling MOCs here).

Jokes aside, last time when we had the same situation for your other scale modeling MOC, I quoted the rules from this forum for you, explained why it had to go here, and yet, you post the "Jeep" Willys in the Technic subforum, again.
Why do we have to go through this, again?

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Seriously, Pawel? Forcibly created a topic for a scale modeling MOC in the Technic subforum, AGAIN? (even though you have been asked to post scale modeling MOCs here).

Jokes aside, last time when we had the same situation for your other scale modeling MOC, I quoted the rules from this forum for you, explained why it had to go here, and yet, you post the "Jeep" Willys in the Technic subforum, again.
Why do we have to go through this, again?

Wait, weren't you going to merge SMF into Technic just a few months ago? 

1 minute ago, Sariel said:

Wait, weren't you going to merge SMF into Technic just a few months ago?

As proposed, discussed and agreed in the quoted topic, yes, we are.
It has been scheduled to be merged some time after the contest.

Until then, both forums are functional and people post their scale modeling mocs here and technic mocs in the Technic forum.

Are we still supposed to comment on the jeep willys or has the subject changed? I really wanted to discuss it further but it seems a moot point now.

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Are we still supposed to comment on the jeep willys or has the subject changed? I really wanted to discuss it further but it seems a moot point now.

Sure, please do.
Location of the Jeep atm does not change the fact it is a great model.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Location of the Jeep atm does not change the fact it is a great model.

For me it would, as I did not take a look in the SM sub for a few months, I would never have seen this great model untill after the merge, where it would be on like page 20 or something already by that time? SM to me says just looking good on the outside, but inside does not mather. Sariel's Jeep drives, steers with Technic remote devices and Technic motors and Technic hubs, having all that hidden inside doesn't make it less Technic for me. I am for 'moving' Lego. I would never ever have seen this great model if it was directly placed here, glad he did not.

And back to the model itselve, your instructions maker is superb. If only I could do that/learn that, it would be awesome. Makes the experience of building your models great.

11 minutes ago, Mr Jos said:

as I did not take a look in the SM sub for a few months, I would never have seen this great model untill after the merge

Then I encourage you to take some time and browse the models in this forum more often than once in a few months, you might be surprised how many great scale modeling MOCs you might find that look good on the outside, while having a great deal on mechanisms inside, and also, they move. 

Seeing as there are still some great looking models on this sub-forum, maybe this topic will attract more people to it. It's definitely done that to me!

While I sympathize with the builders of all these great models here, I remember how it was before when the two were combined and I really think it's better this way. Forcing people of another theme to view and comment to scale modeling seems a poor way to garner support for this theme. I mean everytime I view the technic forum, I view this one too, I just don't comment as much because I don't have anything to say but I do see how closely related they are.

And while the OP is a very talented builder, a class above anything I could ever do, I will refrain from further comment in any of his threads, mostly because I don't care much for his comments.

Done here, thanks for allowing me to express my views and be part of this great forum.

Edited by Johnny1360