Murdoch17

Fictional Disneyland post-1971 Retlaw 1 passenger train in Lilly Belle colorscheme - 71044 inspired MOC

There were two trains at Disneyland opening day in 1955, and these were the Retlaw series. Retlaw 1 was the passenger train which consisted of one baggage, four passenger cars, and the observation car. Five of which are no longer used or were sold. (but the observation car is still used - as the Lilly Belle parlor car as seen in the official set) However, in this fictional revised version of the train, this retirement didn't happen, though they were modified. (Also, Retlaw 1 was NOT normally pulled by the engine C.K. Holliday, instead, it was pulled by the E.P. Ripley. But I forgot about this fact when I digitally built it / took the pictures.)

51340891355_bb3d140c09_z.jpg

The real Retlaw 1 was originally a yellow painted train, featuring front facing seats until it was mostly retired in 1971. The observation car of Retlaw 1 then became a parlor car known as the Lilly Belle. (named after Walt Disney's wife Lillian) This fictionalized train is in the revised, post-1971 color scheme of the Lilly Belle also has two passenger cars plus a baggage car with opening side doors. These cars all have side facing seats, as if Retlaw 1 were around and used in modified format after the 1971 overhaul of the Retlaw 1 observation car into the Lilly Belle. As a side note, each of the cars feature a removable wall for getting at the inside details, as in set 71044.

51339887156_510d482000_z.jpg

The baggage car features two sliding doors in red, though other colors are an option to stand out more. (I prefer black doors, but that's not prototypical!)

51340623449_8b5cd1055e_z.jpg

The side wall comes off, as it does on all the cars, to reveal seating. In this car, that means luggage room and two seats.

51340623479_c3985ee15a_z.jpg

The two coaches are identical in every way, and are also quite similar to the parlor car at first glance.

51340891390_2da4355100_z.jpg

The inside features side seating, as in the Disneyland park... this also allows for easier moving of figures, and placing them in any of the five seats per car.

51340891395_0ca0b96220_z.jpg

This is the stock LEGO set 71044 version of the parlor car, but I thought you guys would like to see it alongside everything else.

51339160177_e6da9e36cc_z.jpg

The inside of the Lilly Belle is different than the other cars, featuring a table, three seats, and a bunch of table-top items (I couldn't find the teacups in my program, or make the flower pot work, so they are missing here!)

51340623429_ff35e1358c_z.jpg

The rear of the whole train.

This train was designed with my father and his trains in mind, though he doesn't want to build them in real life. (This explains the 9v motor hooked onto the tender, as that's his preferred system) Thus I'm going to give away the LDD file for them, which you can find it at on my Bricksafe page.