I just posted my MOC of the basic Antikythera Mechanism,

1280x960.jpg

including instructions on https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82737

1280x960.jpg

The custom 3d printed parts can be ordered and shipped directly to you at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rtn-lna

Basic_Antikythera_Mechanism_gear_schemat

Added the Gear Schematic to the rebrickable page

enjoy.

Edited by RTN LNA
fix links

This is very, very cool.  Thank you for posting here.  I had no idea we had decoded and have such an understanding of the original device.  The last I read about it was a long time ago and it was still considered a mystery. I have now spent way too long reading about this. In the video you showed a more advanced antikythera mechanism. Are you planning to make instructions and Shapeways parts available for that as well?

Woah, great work. Custom parts are not usually quite my thing, but who could not love those gears!

Incredible! I remember being blown away by the original lego recreation of the mechanism, but this is so compact! I reckon 3D printed gears are the way to go, would open up so many possibilities. Congrats :thumbup:

23 hours ago, Glaysche said:

This is very, very cool.  Thank you for posting here.  I had no idea we had decoded and have such an understanding of the original device.  The last I read about it was a long time ago and it was still considered a mystery. I have now spent way too long reading about this. In the video you showed a more advanced antikythera mechanism. Are you planning to make instructions and Shapeways parts available for that as well?

I am glad that you liked. If even a few people show interest by building the current "Basic" Antikythera Mechanism, I will likely work towards version 6 designs of the other required custom parts. I will also spend the time to create the full LPub3D plans of Antikythera Mechanism with pin and slot. This work will likely take another year or more to do this.

23 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Woah, great work. Custom parts are not usually quite my thing, but who could not love those gears!

I am glad you liked it. And the large prime numbered gear are very neat.

19 hours ago, Nalyd997 said:

Incredible! I remember being blown away by the original lego recreation of the mechanism, but this is so compact! I reckon 3D printed gears are the way to go, would open up so many possibilities. Congrats :thumbup:

I also was really impressed by Andrew Carol designed and built version of the Antikythera Mechanism. Andrew used 7 differentials subtracting ratios to get to the primes that LEGO does have. My design has 2 LEGO gears in the paint stand, 47 LEGO gears in the Mechanism and 5 custom AKM gears. vs. 139 LEGO gears (+ 7 difffs) in the pure LEGO design! Parts totals my design 1318 plus 5 custom AKM parts vs. 3715 total for Andrew's design. BTW no lunar phase ball in Andrew's base design (it can be added).

Yeah, I normally try to avoid 3D printed parts but I think there is a really compelling case here.  The first reason is that it is a much better representation of the original.  How the original produced the mechanical calculations is probably more interesting than the calculations themselves.  The second reason is that you can’t simulate the original mechanism completely with pure lego.  The slotted gears are interesting to see them work.  There seemed to be other parts of the mechanism that I suspect would also be hard or impossible with pure lego.  This second thing is what made your more advanced prototype you showed in the video so interesting to me.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, Glaysche said:

Yeah, I normally try to avoid 3D printed parts but I think there is a really compelling case here.  The first reason is that it is a much better representation of the original.  How the original produced the mechanical calculations is probably more interesting than the calculations themselves.  The second reason is that you can’t simulate the original mechanism completely with pure lego.  The slotted gears are interesting to see them work.  There seemed to be other parts of the mechanism that I suspect would also be hard or impossible with pure lego.  This second thing is what made your more advanced prototype you showed in the video so interesting to me.

You really nailed the key points!! I very much agree with your comments! I have added a "Gear Schematic" drawing created by my friend Karl, with some help and corrections from me. This drawing (see above) was added to the https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82737/ web page, as well the Gear Schematic for the actual Antikythera Mechanism from Wikipedia for comparison. 

enjoy kurt

I have added to my MOC webpage on https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82737

My friend Karl kindly did a "beta-test" build of my Basic Antikythera Mechanism his feedback resulted in number of bug fixes and clarifying improvements in the instructions (v5.3 to v5.4). Karl then went on to write-up a two part review of my LEGO version of the Antikythera Mechanism.  Part one is from Word and Part two is from PowerPoint.
enjoy
Edited by RTN LNA
typo