Mandalorianknight

Star Wars TIE Fighter collection MOC

2018's set 75211 Imperial TIE fighter is the best official, system scale TIE lego has ever released. Unfortunately, lego never ended up releasing other TIE variants, like the TIE advanced, in that same style. Or an interceptor since 2005. Or a bomber since 2003. So I've attempted to make my own. About 10 months ago, I made a TIE interceptor and TIE bomber moc in that same style. The interceptor was serviceable and I ended up buying the parts and displaying it alongside my 75211, the bomber was admittedly pretty weak. So I fixed it up and added in a TIE advanced moc to complete the four TIEs seen in the original films. 

Note that these aren't meant to be Jerac-level mocs that are so impressive they're barely like legos, they're meant to be fighters you could display alongside the official TIE fighter sets. These are all meant to be the same style as 75211, so here's a  (somewhat low quality) photoshop of them all together.

TIE%20collection.jpg

BOMBER:

TIE%20Bomber%20New.png

TIE%20Bomber%20New_2.png

My original bomber was, looking back, a pretty bad build. It was disproportionate, unstable, and somewhat inaccurate. This model fixes those issues while keeping the bomb-drop function, which I think is integral to any bomber moc. Turning the gear on top of the bomb bay will open the bay door on the bottom of the hull and release bombs (it can fit various bomb builds, from bionicle zamor spheres to the rocket-like ones used by the republic frigate set). I've ordered the parts and I'll update this post with a physical image once built.

ADVANCED:

TIE%20advanced.png

TIE%20advanced%202.png

One thing I noticed when looking at images of the back of this ship; where are the engines? Seriously, I cannot find anything resembling an engine here. Anyway, the ship's got similar wings to the bomber, and the shape of the area behind the cockpit was interesting to build. The cockpit itself is similar to 75211, but altered slightly to fit vader's larger helmet.

INTERCEPTOR:

interceptorfix3.jpg

Unfortunately I lost the stud.io file to the interceptor, so I wasn't able to go in and remove the spring shooters like I did for my physical model. It's the same basic principle I used for 75211, all you need to do is replace the 1x4 spring shooter bricks with 1x1 headlight bricks with 1x1 LBG plates and 1x1 trans red studs attached to the side. Note that while Stud.io doesn't seem to think the wingtips work, the physical model works fine and doesn't seem to put any undue stress on the brick.

Let me know what you think of these mocs, and please give suggestions as to which TIEs I should make next in this style.

Very impressive

The TIE bomber is very nice, although I am unsure about the curved bricks used at the back. I haven't seen the movie in a while, so those may be accurate.

The TIE advanced is also extremely cool. You used 4 1x1 cheese slopes in the back, I think the engines are in there somewhere.

The TIE interceptor is my favorite TIE variant, and you have done an amazing job. The way the wing are done is simply genius, I would have just used wedge plates and left it at that, nice work.

Overall, you have made 3 incredible looking vehicles from star wars. If I had one critique it would be that maybe you could have tiled over the wings? That probably would have made them more expensive though.

Have you thought of making a TIE shuttle? A youtuber by the name of ec henry made a computer model of it.

3 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Very impressive

The TIE bomber is very nice, although I am unsure about the curved bricks used at the back. I haven't seen the movie in a while, so those may be accurate.

The TIE advanced is also extremely cool. You used 4 1x1 cheese slopes in the back, I think the engines are in there somewhere.

The TIE interceptor is my favorite TIE variant, and you have done an amazing job. The way the wing are done is simply genius, I would have just used wedge plates and left it at that, nice work.

Overall, you have made 3 incredible looking vehicles from star wars. If I had one critique it would be that maybe you could have tiled over the wings? That probably would have made them more expensive though.

Have you thought of making a TIE shuttle? A youtuber by the name of ec henry made a computer model of it.

Thank you so much!

TIE Bomber: If you're talking about the engines, the curved bricks are supposed to be there. This fixes a mistake on my original model where I just used dishes.

TIE advanced: the engines are definately somewhere around there, but no images or art I've seen has them. If you know where they are, please let me know, I should put up missing posters! :laugh:

The TIE shuttle is a genius idea! I always thought it was just a TIE bomber with a different interior, but looking at the EC henry video, the wings are flipped and the hull is bulkier. Plus, it technically appears in the OT films, so now I've got to make it so my earlier post can be accurate. I'll definately give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion!

7 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

TIE advanced: the engines are definately somewhere around there, but no images or art I've seen has them. If you know where they are, please let me know, I should put up missing posters! :laugh:

I found the engines

There are 4 dots on the rear of the cockpit model, fractal sponge made a model where these are glowing, but I was unsure as it was a fan creation. This appears to be a studio model

md_AdvancedTIE_02.jpg

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The TIE shuttle is a genius idea! I always thought it was just a TIE bomber with a different interior, but looking at the EC henry video, the wings are flipped and the hull is bulkier. Plus, it technically appears in the OT films, so now I've got to make it so my earlier post can be accurate. I'll definately give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion!

The TIE landing craft from ANH (interior) and RO is also very similar and could probably be made out of the TIE Bomber.

Great work on all of the MOCs my favourite is the interceptor, I really like how they're compatible, albeit much more detailed and accurate, with LEGO sets in terms of style

Edited by Stuartn

so far I have 2 x 75211 Tie fighters and one tie interceptor made from a 75211 using @mcphatty 's design for both

and I am desperately waiting for a tie bomber to complete the collection with a consistent size scale.... Ron if you are reading this... ;) I am counting on you mate ;)

some MOCs for the bomber are way bigger than what i would expect if the tie was standing next to my tie fighters and tie interceptor

67158.jpg

Edited by macaron35

18 hours ago, macaron35 said:

so far I have 2 x 75211 Tie fighters and one tie interceptor made from a 75211 using @mcphatty 's design for both

and I am desperately waiting for a tie bomber to complete the collection with a consistent size scale.... Ron if you are reading this... ;) I am counting on you mate ;)

some MOCs for the bomber are way bigger than what i would expect if the tie was standing next to my tie fighters and tie interceptor

That's a nice collection of your own! I like the interceptor design, especially the sort of landing gear he's got on the lower wings. (Though I still can't stand how the grey is added at the edges of the panels, lego using it for most TIEs is why I made my MOCs :laugh:)

I've got my collection pic later in this post, I think they work out pretty nice in terms of scale, but some sources have the bomber at the same width and length as the advanced (which seems totally wrong), so I'm not completely sure.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

I found the engines

There are 4 dots on the rear of the cockpit model, fractal sponge made a model where these are glowing, but I was unsure as it was a fan creation. This appears to be a studio model

None of the images I have found have those dots, but that's definately a studio model, which is about as canon as you can get. Thank you for finding that! I'll update this post soon with the engines added.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, Stuartn said:

The TIE landing craft from ANH (interior) and RO is also very similar and could probably be made out of the TIE Bomber.

Great work on all of the MOCs my favourite is the interceptor, I really like how they're compatible, albeit much more detailed and accurate, with LEGO sets in terms of style

Alright, the landing craft is next on the docket. I'm thinking I'll do a TIE droid, too, just to make a render in the style of the original TIE collection set. 

Thank you! 

Alright, the bomber is completed. Certainly a chonky boi, I was worried it wouldn't be able to hold it's own weight, but it seems to do that just fine.

IMG_8081.jpgIMG_8082.jpg

I think it turned out very well, but the gear is kind of tough to turn, so I'll do a bit work on that.

IMG_8083.jpg

My TIE collection (I need to install some lights). I wanted to wait to build the advanced until someone found the engines, so the system TIE advanced from rebels is standing in. 

I've also got a couple questions:

A friend of mine requested I make the clone wars shuttle (the Nu class, the one that's got the modular on the bottom). Would you prefer I do the Nu shuttle, or the bomber variations first?

If I fix up the bomber gear function/maybe include a stand for the interceptor, would you guys want instructions to be available? If so, and I feel weird about asking this, but should they be free or would you consider buying them? Frankly I'm not sure these look good enough to sell, but this is a somewhat expensive hobby and I'm not exactly rolling in cash, so selling instructions could be super helpful in that respect. You three would get free instructions anyway if I make them. (I think I was gonna send Macron the part file for the interceptor awhile back and then I lost it)

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A friend of mine requested I make the clone wars shuttle (the Nu class, the one that's got the modular on the bottom). Would you prefer I do the Nu shuttle, or the bomber variations first?

If I fix up the bomber gear function/maybe include a stand for the interceptor, would you guys want instructions to be available? If so, and I feel weird about asking this, but should they be free or would you consider buying them? Frankly I'm not sure these look good enough to sell, but this is a somewhat expensive hobby and I'm not exactly rolling in cash, so selling instructions could be super helpful in that respect. You three would get free instructions anyway if I make them. (I think I was gonna send Macron the part file for the interceptor awhile back and then I lost it)

I think you should do the bomber variations first, as it would be faster since you already have the hull completed.

Instructions would be nice, I always appreciate free instructions, but if you want to sell them go ahead.

Edited by Guyinaplaguemask
Please don't quote images if you don't need to

10 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

I think you should do the bomber variations first, as it would be faster since you already have the hull completed.

Instructions would be nice, I always appreciate free instructions, but if you want to sell them go ahead.

Good point, bomber variations coming up!

I think I'll do the interceptor free, and maybe sell the bomber, maybe.

This is the only canon image I can find of the shuttle, so this'll be the basis

See the source image

12 hours ago, macaron35 said:

awesome :)

Thank you!

Edited by Mandalorianknight

13 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Good point, bomber variations coming up!

I think I'll do the interceptor free, and maybe sell the bomber, maybe.

This is the only canon image I can find of the shuttle, so this'll be the basis

See the source image

Thank you!

The only instructions I particularly care about are the interceptor, as that is my favorite TIE variant

I am very excited to see the TIE shuttle, you will do a fantastic job, I'm sure

“Wow, a whole fleet !” is my son’s response after I showed him your pictures. My 10 yo son is in awe of what you have created. He loves the different variations of it. Dang, my wallet is open for instructions since my son wants to build them and then make me hang them all from the ceiling around his bedroom. Are they all pretty sturdy to be hung by wires?

your son wants them, but they will end up on your shelf ;)

I did the same for Disney's brickheadz for my daughter which actually are in my office ;)

On 7/27/2021 at 6:22 AM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Here we go!

TIE%20shuttle_2.png

I initially thought I'd just have to rotate the wings and remove the gears, but it ended up being a lot more complicated and I had to completely re-do the second pod. I tried to get the more greebled feel of the shuttle as well. I'm not sold on the anti-studs, but since the shuttle opens the other way I thought flipping them looked a bit better and less like I rotated the bomber wings. Initially I tried some stuff with paneling, but it didn't come out right.

TIE%20shuttle_3.png

Behind the cockpit, there's room for 6 blasters on a removable blaster rack, as well as room for six troopers in the other pod (I did some physical testing to see the most that could fit in that space). There are 5 sort of rough seats and 1 more comfortable seat for an officer.

Again, let me know which ones you want to see next!

On 7/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, Stuartn said:

I'll need a bit of help on this one as I can't seem to find any canon images besides the interior and back, which looks identical to the bomber. Is it the one they use in rebels?

On 7/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, Sine qua non said:

“Wow, a whole fleet !” is my son’s response after I showed him your pictures. My 10 yo son is in awe of what you have created. He loves the different variations of it. Dang, my wallet is open for instructions since my son wants to build them and then make me hang them all from the ceiling around his bedroom. Are they all pretty sturdy to be hung by wires?

I cannot tell you how cool it is to me that a child I've never met enjoys the lego models I make for fun on the internet, it's crazy and really amazing when I think about it.

I've started interceptor instructions, which will be free to forum members, followed by bomber instructions I might charge for, depending on how long the instructions take to make.

18 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

'll need a bit of help on this one as I can't seem to find any canon images besides the interior and back, which looks identical to the bomber. Is it the one they use in rebels?

https://images.app.goo.gl/7RrhYZyi3cWYg35QA

There aren’t any front on appearances that I am aware of, but luckily it appears as a hologram in the last jedi, and it seems identical to the non canonical pictures which can validate their use. That link is surprisingly the only shot of the hologram I could find on google.

Great work on the TIE shuttle

Edited by Stuartn

Yeah, the TIE shuttle is done

Looks incredible, I'm not sure about the anti studs, but honestly, it doesn't matter.

I cannot believe that you crammed an interior into this thing.

Hats off to you!

Nice collection of Sienar TIE craft. I do like the TIE Interceptor and you've captured it wonderfully at the scale.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice collection of Sienar TIE craft. I do like the TIE Interceptor and you've captured it wonderfully at the scale.

Thank you! Any suggestions for future craft? I'm going to do the boarding shuttle and then the Nu-class clone shuttle otherwise.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Yeah, the TIE shuttle is done

Looks incredible, I'm not sure about the anti studs, but honestly, it doesn't matter.

I cannot believe that you crammed an interior into this thing.

Hats off to you!

Thank you! I tried flipping the wing orientation so the anti-studs were on the inside, but it looked weirder to me, and I figured one side had to be antistuds. Holy megablocks, I just realized they made that 1x3 anti-tile for unakitty, and it comes in LBG! Combined with the 2x2 anti-tiles in black, I could do that for the bomber!

On 8/1/2021 at 5:44 AM, Stuartn said:

There aren’t any front on appearances that I am aware of, but luckily it appears as a hologram in the last jedi, and it seems identical to the non canonical pictures which can validate their use. That link is surprisingly the only shot of the hologram I could find on google.

Thank you! Construction will begin next week, I'm out of town for a couple more days.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, Sine qua non said:

Sorry, I just realized I didn't answer half your questions:

I think they can be hung by wires? I wouldn't put them on the wingtips only, but the cockpits are definitely sturdy enough. 

I'm going to put my interceptor MOC back into-stud.io on Monday (I lost the file for it somehow but luckily I have a physical model.). Once finished I'll release the .io file for free, which would allow you guys to get both the parts list and a digital model that can by used as instructions by entering "step view". After that, I'm going to try to figure out page-by-page instructions for the other ships, which I would try to sell.

53 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm going to put my interceptor MOC back into-stud.io on Monday (I lost the file for it somehow but luckily I have a physical model.). Once finished I'll release the .io file for free, which would allow you guys to get both the parts list and a digital model that can by used as instructions by entering "step view". After that, I'm going to try to figure out page-by-page instructions for the other ships, which I would try to sell.

Thank you for doing the interceptor for free. I am broke right now so I won't be able to buy instructions, but I definitely will once I have some more money.

Nice collection I must say.

I realy like the fact that they are all in the same style, a shame that LEGO didn't released thouse as a set.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:11 AM, -Broadside- said:

Nice collection I must say.

I realy like the fact that they are all in the same style, a shame that LEGO didn't released thouse as a set.

Thanks, Broadside! I must say I'm a fan of your AT-RT as well, I especially liked the leg greebling.

I agree that it's a shame lego never released the other main OT fighters in the same style.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:25 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Thank you for doing the interceptor for free. I am broke right now so I won't be able to buy instructions, but I definitely will once I have some more money.

No problemo, I get it. Just PM me your email address and I can send you the Stud.io file over gmail. Goes for everyone, actually. PM me your email and I'll send you the file for the interceptor so you can build it for free.

By the way, I did some minor interceptor mods for stability when turning the model from physical back to a digital moc. The asthetic change is very minor, but here it is.

TIE%20interceptor.png

Some other notes:

It can be swooshed when held from the cockpit, but I wouldn't shake it too hard or you'll misalign the wings. Also bc of the wings, a stand of some sort would be helpful if you want to display it with the cockpit parallel to the ground instead of it resting on the longer, angled wing sections.

Stud.io is weird with part stress and rotations and thinks that angled grey bits on the wings are physically impossible. They aren't, though the wingtips might angle slightly (I'm talking like literally 3 degrees) depending on the condition and clutch power of the 1x1 plates used.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:44 AM, Stuartn said:

Thank you, here's your landing craft!

TIE%20boarding%20craft.png

First off, I love the lower guns, they were fun to design and are a cool greeble for the ship. Other points:

The boarding shuttle's cockpit extends slightly farther than the bomber's, and there's a few other minor changes like the cockpit top and main hull greebling.

Obviously the main one is the extended second hull. I wanted to change the "face" of the second hull more as well, but I was unable to find a way to "flatten" it without removing any semblance of detail.

Edited by Mandalorianknight
Oh, and the interior of the landing craft is the same as the shuttle, so I didn't take another render.

45 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Thank you, here's your landing craft!

First off, I love the lower guns, they were fun to design and are a cool greeble for the ship. Other points:

The boarding shuttle's cockpit extends slightly farther than the bomber's, and there's a few other minor changes like the cockpit top and main hull greebling.

Obviously the main one is the extended second hull. I wanted to change the "face" of the second hull more as well, but I was unable to find a way to "flatten" it without removing any semblance of detail.

Brilliant work, I haven't ever encountered this ship in Lego form before and your version is incredibly impressive, you've captured all of the great details which separate it from the other TIEs, like the underside guns and the very nicely accomplished second hull, as well as the roof details and thinner connecting points than the TIE shuttle. I think the amount of detail in the second hull is a good balance between detail and maintaining the curvature. Great job!

Hi There, I know this thread may be old, but I think here‘s the best place to post at the start, maybe I‘ll add some own thread later on…

I have a small collection of Ties, most variants are made from 75300. But I like the 75211 very much and did some reworks and MOCs basing on it. Hope you like it…

30BE43DD-00EF-41FA-8B3D-CF291B931231.jpeg

3ECDF1F9-2D61-41E7-8AF1-31E903C7C470.jpeg

176489E0-845B-4AAC-91F8-7D178E2A341C.jpeg

Edited by Acid-Vertigo

I'm also a big TIE guy. Unfortunately, I don't have much space, so I'm limited in what I have assembled at any time.

This one is what it all started with. I wanted an Outland TIE and there was no good model out there, so I designed my own. The retractable landing gear is a bit dicey, but the fact that it works and still leaves enough room for a cockpit that fits a minifig did make me somewhat proud.

800x600.jpeg

Once I had that one, I tasted blood and designed a whole host of TIE Mocs, some of which are currently on display:

800x600.jpeg

I deliberately made these a bit larger than minifig scale because that feels more adequate for a minifig sitting inside the cockpit. However, when standing next to it, a minifig will look way too tiny in relation, given that it doesn't have lower legs.

That's why I also went on to design some minifig scale TIEs:

800x600.jpeg

These ones even have functional top hatches. 

Fantastic collection, I REALLY like that you've made them in the System retail style with all of the standard play features, rather than the (albeit incredibly impressive) overly realistic ones that so many others produce for display purposes. These prove how easily Lego themselves could produce these classic fighters and makes them feel far more achievable in replicating.

Curious though, how come you didn't reference the 2016 Darth Vader's TIE from 75150 in your Advanced build, which I thought was a great little set in the spirit of the Solo TIE Fighter?