Hi all - my second C-Model from Land Rover 42110 is complete. It's a helicopter, with full flight control & retractable landing gear. 

tXmSGS0.jpeg 

pIYPedV.jpg

Functions: 

• Cyclic & collective (using mixer by steph77)
  • Co-pilot dummy cyclic & collective linked to main controls
  • Tail rotor tilt, controlled by pedals or under passenger cabin (tail section of linkage by steph77)
  • Rotor power with spring-loaded button, or gear on fuselage
  • One-way clutch ensures main rotor can only turn counterclockwise
  • Modular winch & DNR gearbox
  • Retractable landing gear
  • Front landing gear has suspension
  • Sliding doors featuring a Scott-Russell linkage 
  • Stabilator with realistic (small) range of movement

Video:

The helicopter ended up pretty function-dense - here's the X-ray:

gcdsw8M.png 

The custom swashplate uses a method I haven't seen before - the red changeover catch allows the upper swashplate to slide up and down on the rotor axle (green), while still rotating with the green axle. The pink structure around it can tilt as necessary, to match the tilt of the lower swashplate (not pictured below). Since the swashplate surfaces aren't locked together except by gravity, you wouldn't be able to fly this helicopter upside down. 

8Yeo6sK.png 

My favorite function is the landing gear - while it may not be very realistic, the front landing gear linkage has a lot going on in order to allow both retraction and suspension. I also like that you don’t need to spin a linear actuator for 30 seconds - just push a button and woosh! Below is a detail of the front landing gear linkage extended (left) and retracted (right). The grey pieces are the mounting points. The other colors are to help track between left and right.

qJhiDZg.png 

There are more renders & explanations of other mechanisms in this model at https://m.imgur.com/gallery/5sYxvzE

Free reverse teardown photos of this model will be posted in the next month or so. I had a great time designing this model - hope you enjoy!

Edited by Pattspatt

Oh man this is incredible, great work :wub: I love cyclics

Edited by Bartybum

The idea of a helicopter is both original and clever. The inventory and the colors of the original set match well with this idea. Otherwise the functions seem well executed, I like the landing gear's geometry.

Clever use of parts and intricate mechanics! Have not built a Lego helicopter at this scale, but would love to take apart my pimped up Landrover to do so!

How is it that this set is spawning so many awesome alternate models, each apparently better than the original set? Great work!

Well with 2573 pieces, you have many options.

This is a great moc and it is hard to believe you could add so many functions and make it look as good as it does. Excellent moc my friend.

Well done!

Really like the looks and the functions.

You are correct on the landing gear being your favorite. It looks awesome.

Not only do we see rather few helicopter sets or MOCs, but this one is just brilliant it its features' number and clever implementation... and furthermore, it is an alternate model. A true masterpiece, I will happily build it when possible!

Outstanding!  I have so much respect for those of you who create such great alternate models from sets.

Thanks you for sharing this wonderful alternate build. I really like the linkages and the detailed explanation.  Need to buy the 42110!

The URL seams to be wrong. I'll get an "Oops! We couldn't find that page" 

On 7/26/2021 at 2:45 PM, Pattspatt said:

There are more renders & explanations of other mechanisms in this model at https://imgur.com/gallery/5sYxvzE.

I really like this B-Model, well done! 

TLG will come banging on your door because it is an olive LEGO Helicopter with no "Rescue" markings :laugh:

Thanks everybody for your comments! 

59 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

The URL seams to be wrong. I'll get an "Oops! We couldn't find that page"

Oops, looks like the period at the end confused things. It should work now!

56 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

TLG will come banging on your door because it is an olive LEGO Helicopter with no "Rescue" markings :laugh:

That thought definitely crossed my mind! With 42110’s stickers applied, it’ll have “Defender” prominently displayed on the stabilator, which might be even more suggestive. I’ll leave the missiles for modders to figure out, though. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

I really like this B-Model, well done! 

As long as it doesn't mash up any gears, I think it's safe... :hmpf:

Wow! That is an incredible great B-model. I am always a sucker for aerospace vehicles and this one ticks a lot of like boxes: Functional flightcontrols, suspension in the landinggear, great overal shape.:wub:

I have been wondering how to use the changeover catch for this purpose when I was building my helicopter, but I never figured out a way how to do it, so I am pleased to see it is possible after all :thumbup:

Second model i couldn't pass by and not comment.

I am particulary impressed by the custom swashplate you've build.

Reading your post, i agree with you, heli don't fly upside down and the end result is very impressive.

Well done sir!

Completely forgot to comment here: What a fabulous beast, and even more so as a B/C-Model! To make a swash-plate with such limited parts is outstanding achievement. I wish there would be more plates to cover the tail a little more. 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:40 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Wow! That is an incredible great B-model. I am always a sucker for aerospace vehicles and this one ticks a lot of like boxes: Functional flightcontrols, suspension in the landinggear, great overal shape.:wub:

I have been wondering how to use the changeover catch for this purpose when I was building my helicopter, but I never figured out a way how to do it, so I am pleased to see it is possible after all :thumbup:

Thanks very much! Yes, I think the swashplate idea is perhaps the only innovation here that might transfer well to other MOCs. It seems like most helicopter MOCs I’ve seen started designing the swashplate with a turntable and then work from there, which can be restrictive. Of course my approach certainly had its limitations, too.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:35 AM, steph77 said:

Second model i couldn't pass by and not comment.

I am particulary impressed by the custom swashplate you've build.

Reading your post, i agree with you, heli don't fly upside down and the end result is very impressive.

Well done sir!

Thank you! This helicopter owes a huge debt to your AH-77 Hunter. From what I’ve seen, your system for cyclic/collective mixing is the most elegant one out there. Thanks so much for making your work free!

Once I’ve finished the free instructions for this model, my hope is they’ll help make fully-featured helicopter MOCs even more accessible. Maybe that’ll encourage some Technic innovation in this space, too.  

On 8/10/2021 at 4:29 AM, Jundis said:

I wish there would be more plates to cover the tail a little more. 

Me too - the only option was white, but it was too boxy & certainly called attention to itself in that color. It’s fairly consistent with 9396, I guess. The silver lining is that the push-pull linkage movements can easily be seen in operation :thumbup:

Edited by Pattspatt

That is pretty cool again, I really like the way you make use of your Defender set, always coming up with something unconventional. Since your models include very interesting mechanics, I wonder what your background is :)

On 7/26/2021 at 8:14 PM, howitzer said:

How is it that this set is spawning so many awesome alternate models

The set has a really good selection of parts!

15 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I see on your imgur page that instructions will be uploaded on rebrickable. I for sure would love to build this!!

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your photos. The instructions (photo teardown) are 1-2 weeks away. Expect a fairly difficult build - but it will be free, at least!

14 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

That is pretty cool again, I really like the way you make use of your Defender set, always coming up with something unconventional. Since your models include very interesting mechanics, I wonder what your background is :)

Thanks! Glad you like it. One of the things I like most about Technic compared to System is how much you can do with a relatively narrow parts selection. I don’t have a formal MechE background, but my current work as a quality engineer touches on some mechanical ideas every now and then. Mostly Technic is an opportunity to be an amateur mechanical engineer, which has been a hobby for a long time. 

14 hours ago, suffocation said:

Oh wow, can't believe I missed this the first time round. What a superb B model! :pir-love:

Thanks very much!

Edited by Pattspatt

2 minutes ago, Pattspatt said:

Mostly Technic is an opportunity to be an amateur mechanical engineer

We are in the same boat then :)