Sign in to follow this  
MrWayne

NEED HELP! LEGO Mosaic Design

Hello, bonjour, and howdy...

I need some help from the LEGO hive mind on a project that I've been working on.

I am building a giant penny to go along with my LEGO MOC Batcave project. I just can't seem to get the mosaic design right.

Here is what I am using:
  - 4 of the Round Corner 16 x 16 pieces. I would like to use
  - Medium Nougat Round 1 x 1 tiles for the penny surface
  - Reddish Brown Round 1 x 1 tiles for Lincoln's face

As you can see --- this is rubbish. Can you help me design a good looking mosaic pattern?

NCormtI.jpg

I would start with a Lego mosaic generator and then just modify from there as needed.  You can try https://lego-art-remix.debkbanerji.com which is geared at using the parts from current Lego mosaic sets just to see what it does for you, or you can use the mosaic designer option in Studio (www.stud.io) which has plenty of options including overall design size, colors, plates/tiles, etc., which would be my pick for something like this.

I'd use wedge plates to create a circle first. Draw a circle on squared paper to look at which wedges you'd need.

You can consider using SNOT techniques to create a more rounded penny shape. It's more parts-consuming and you'd be working with rectangular tesserae instead of square, but you might be able to achieve a smoother circle at that size. You can also mix a studs-on-top surface for the mosaic itself and a studs-on-the-sides surface for the edges of the penny, if you prefer to work with tiles for Lincoln's face.

I'm unfamiliar with the curved slope selection in medium nougat, but I know there are some curved slopes in dark orange for an approximate penny colour.

Thanks everyone. I started with a custom printed version, but wanted to try and build something real. Then I built this smaller version, but it's just not the right size/scale that I'm looking for. So I went really big --- might need to go a different route.

y1I3AOc.jpg

5 hours ago, MrWayne said:

Thanks everyone. I started with a custom printed version, but wanted to try and build something real. Then I built this smaller version, but it's just not the right size/scale that I'm looking for. So I went really big --- might need to go a different route.

y1I3AOc.jpg

I suggest building a large, 3D Lincoln head and then sticking it on the coin 

you won’t get a Lincoln looking picture at much less than 32*32 size. 

2 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

I suggest building a large, 3D Lincoln head and then sticking it on the coin 

you won’t get a Lincoln looking picture at much less than 32*32 size. 

Thanks! I might have to go back to the drawing board with this.

Am I being too critical of my attempts above?

2 hours ago, MrWayne said:

Thanks! I might have to go back to the drawing board with this.

Am I being too critical of my attempts above?

Honestly I love the custom print but the brick-built coin really doesn’t look much like Lincoln’s head- though the coin shape is well-done. 

Edited by Lego-fire
Clarity

19 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

Honestly I love the custom print but the brick-built coin really doesn’t look much like Lincoln’s head- though the coin shape is well-done. 

Ok...what do you think of this? Starting with just an outline of Lincoln and will fill the rest in with lighter tiles.

zlXnMdy.jpg

4 hours ago, MrWayne said:

Ok...what do you think of this? Starting with just an outline of Lincoln and will fill the rest in with lighter tiles.

zlXnMdy.jpg

Way better! Very nice :laugh:

12 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

Way better! Very nice :laugh:

Ok. Here's the latest iteration...

3iUwSWL.jpg