Sign in to follow this  
Rebel_Lego

[MOC] Iveco X-way 2021

Hello all,

Hereby I present to you my (almost) alternate model from set 42078 Mack Anthem. It's a crane truck modeled after an Iveco X-way. The real life truck is a hybrid between on and off road, or, as Iveco says in their brochure, a truck for the highway that can drive the last miles on dirt. The model is fully remote controlled, using two PU L-motors and one PU Train Hub. These are the only parts that aren't included in 42078. I tried re-using the stickers of the set, that's why the seats, part of the dashboard and the fake engine are almost the same as in the Mack. A nice detail that resulted from this is the stripe on the side, which I personally really like.

P1030155.JPG

The functions of the tractor unit are:

- Openable doors

- Openable cabine with working fake 6-inline engine

- opening sides of the tipping bed

- two-way tipping of the tipping bed

- fully operational crane (design by Technicprojects, a bit modified by me)

- Outtriggers

- Rear most axle is suspended. Originally the idea was to make both rear axles suspended, but due to the hub sitting on one side, the model became too unstable.

800x600.JPG

P1030164.JPG

The model also comes with a trailer. This one has the following functions:

- Pendular suspended front axle

- Three-way tipping

- Opening sides of the tipping bed

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

The biggest challenge of this model was to fit all the moving elements. The steering system was the hardest part, because the Mack doesn't have a gear rack. Eventually, I made it almost the same as the Mack, but the cost of this is that there is a lot of play on the steering. The drive was a lot easier. I made the drive shaft from the rear axles to the fake engine, and connected the motor by using a bevel gear. The motor is kind of hidden behind the side protection. After I made this, I also had to create space for the Small LA to move the tipping bed. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit the large one, so the tipping power of the tractor unit is limited. Eventually it all resulted into the model you see here.

Here is a picture of the underside of the chassis.

800x600.JPG

I made a small start on instructions, but my spare time is limited, so I don't want to waste my time and than nobody is interested in them. So, if there is enough interest, I will make instructions.

And btw, if you have any critisism, please say it. I want to learn and improve my Lego skills, so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts.

More pictures are on my Bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Rebel_Lego

Thank you for reading!

Nice MOC! May I suggest flipping the 5L liftarms with the Anthem sticker on the front of the cab?

Could the drive motor be connected without universal joints and the second bevel gear which isn't with a bevel frame? They seem a bad call for such a big model, I bet it clicks teeth if you flip power from back to forward.

9 hours ago, whitepen said:

Nice MOC! May I suggest flipping the 5L liftarms with the Anthem sticker on the front of the cab?

I agree with you that it may look better without the anthem sticker.

8 hours ago, amorti said:

Could the drive motor be connected without universal joints and the second bevel gear which isn't with a bevel frame? They seem a bad call for such a big model, I bet it clicks teeth if you flip power from back to forward.

Without U-joints the motor should be one stud higher, but it can’t be placed like that because the mechanism for tipping is in the way. The second bevel gear doesn’t click, but I also tried 1:1 gear ratio with 2 12 tooth gears and then it does. I think I’m gonna try to include a bevel frame there. If that doesn’t work I’ll leave it like this.