I started working on this model already in 2018. Initially, it was supposed to be pure Technic but pretty quickly it turned out in such a nice form will not be. So I decided to work on the model team style. In this matter, I had no experience but colleagues helped a bit and succeeded. (Thanks Eric). As for the mechanics, this real vehicle had a very interesting control system. While driving on a hard surface, the engine evenly propelled both tracks and the driver turned the front wheel of the motorcycle. 

However, in difficult terrain, such a system was not enough. Therefore, after twisting the steering wheel, a special mechanism was activated and braked one of the tracks.

And it was the attempt to recreate this solution that turned out to be a dead end. I lost a lot of time trying to develop a strong and small brake, but the PF L motors were still stronger. The classic two-motors tank solution was not an option here, because if you were turning in place, the vehicle would break the front wheel. 

So I abandoned the work on the model many times every few months, returning to it from time to time. And finally one day I decided to try to replace the brakes with a subtractor coupled with a worm gear. By placing the clutch in front of the gearbox, I was able to smoothly adjust the steering wheel and the subtractor slowed down the tracks slightly. 

From that point on, and it was about two years ago, I knew it was going to work out. But it still wasn't easy. The housing made of system bricks caused the model to exceed the weight of 1 kg and there were problems with the rigidity of the chassis. I did not want to give up the suspension of the wheels on the torsion rods and therefore the small wheels were not able to keep the tracks in the axis on the corners and these were constantly falling. In addition, the 1 PF L was no longer sufficient for the drive and the model was moving terribly slowly. 

Eventually, it started to annoy me that I couldn't finish my Kettenkrad and I gave myself time until the end of July 2021 to publish it.
Well, it is, I do not know what a miracle is, but I managed to fit the second PF L (basically it's the third) to the drive, under the left foot of the driver but helped to accelerate the model a bit. And the stiffening of the last axis gave the desired effect, the caterpillars stopped falling. 

The model is made on a scale of 1:8 and quite well lies in the plans, it is only one stud too narrow. In the pictures you can see that on the tracks you can put black plates 1x3 and then it looks better but if you want to ride it you have to take them off.  The steering wheel can be stiffened with the wheel but because I wanted to keep the driver then in time to drive you have to release it so on film summers freely.
That's it, I invite you to comment.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/samolot/kettenkrat

I always really liked the Kettenkrad. I saw it in a Museum a while ago, and recently I watched the Anime "Girl's last tour" (can only recommend), and it made me like the Kettenkrad even more! A true marvel of german engineering :grin:

Your LEGO version is really well done, steering system and all! Deserved Frontpage for sure. I am glad you didn't give up until the MOC was finally completed. 

Truly thank you for sharing this, it made my day.

Edited by Gray Gear

Excellent replica of a very unique and interesting vehicle.  The figure fits really well too)))

Sd.Kfz. 2 is really unique vehicle. IMHO you made great work and deserve to be front paged as @Milan decided. But please don't tell anyone that someone from Croatia praised your work because I'll be accused to be fascists :ugh:

Thank you for all the positive feedback. I'm glad you like it.

And do you already know why the Lego driver has lipstick?

Edited by Samolot

7 hours ago, ddougie71 said:

Is it something to do with dry lips? 🤷‍♂️

NO

4 hours ago, 1gor said:

Like rainbow colors ideology is always present or you have found very special lady who is extraordinary driver so you made a figure dedicated to her?

NO

Well that escalated quickly.

<br>

Are the lipsticks perhaps used to attach the hands to the handlebars?

Edited by syclone

1 hour ago, syclone said:

Well that escalated quickly.

<br>

Are the lipsticks perhaps used to attach the hands to the handlebars?

Yes you are corect. Thanks for your answer. Lipstic is the only part that conect to axle holes on any angle.

Edited by Samolot

6 minutes ago, Samolot said:

Yes

Guess I got a handle on the situation.

Spoiler

tenor.gif 

Sorry. Just couldn't stop myself.

Not sure what happened here, but let's stick to the MOC at hand and forget about the rest.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, Vaiman said:

Never knew the kettenkrad was a thing until now. You did an amazing job on this MOC!

Thanks

On 7/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, suffocation said:

Superb work as always :pir-love::pir-love:

Thanks

Here are some WIP pictures showing my experiments with wheels.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

I think it's just not fair to send models like Kettenkrad or Willys to the Scale modelling forum. The remote-controlled model that moves has a suspension, complex mechanics is not the same as the system bricks model on the shelf.  Especially in a situation where, as I understand it, the decision was made to liquidate this section of the forum. Anyway, Kettenkrad might as well land in the Star Wars section or Action Figures one.

I've spent a lot of time mechanizing this model, and that's what I'm most proud of. The appearance and dimensions of the model were just a limitation of where you should fit in.

I'm just happy that before the transfer the model managed to spend a few days on the Technic forum and collect some comments. 

Edited by Samolot