Sign in to follow this  
keymaker

[MOC] Rock Crawler "Hornet" [free building instructions]

Hi,

Here is my take on rock crawlers – I present to you an unstoppable and fully customizable rock crawler: „Hornet”! I called it unstoppable and fully customizable not without a reason. You can find out why in the video and in extensive list of features, details and links below the video.

Instructions can be found HERE, they are free of charge, I hope many of you will be able to build it and have fun playing with it outdoors as I did.

Without further talk, please enjoy the video!

Hornet1.gif

Red_ant.gif

Details and main functions:
• dimensions LxWxH: 36x22.5x19.5 cm
• weight: 1.55 kg
• 4x4 drive (3xL motors)
• steering (M motor)
• live axle suspension, front and rear
• openable doors
• easy removing the whole body with locks hidden in bumpers
• it fits Lego Technic Figure

Configuration options:

1. Drive and steering
• Power version: 3xL PF motors for drive and M PF motor for steering front axle
• Agile version: 2xL PF motors for drive and 2xM PF motors for steering on both axles

2. Body
• „Hornet” – default body, more build-up, with opening doors
• „Red Ant” – alternative body, more open one, 25% lighter than „Hornet” body

3. Suspension
• Four independent, clearly visible mounting points available for each shock absorber
• Multiple mounting points allow to configure four parameters of the suspension and the whole MOC:
- suspension stiffness (from soft to hard)
- suspension travel (from long to short)
- body height (from low to high)
- body style (from rock crawler to monster truck)
• suspension can use both long and short shock absorbers

Other features (which you may or may not spot on the video):
• both bodies are equipped with two seat simple interior with steering wheel and some minor details
• both available bodies are prepared in a way to avoid visibility of blue pins
• frame is also prepared in a way to avoid blue pins
• blue pins in frame are used mostly to high light mounting points for suspension and point out the front of the frame
• frame prepared to be allow easy pairing with any new bodies
• frame is equipped with simple cable management to avoid damaging motor cables during off-roading
• changing connections of shock absorbers to the frame is fast and easy
• MOC can be easy carry on both via body or accessable handle at the bottom of the frame
• center of the mass is located at the center of the MOC
• center of the mass is located low, most of the weight is present in axles
• drive doesn't use differentials to maximize off-road capabilities
• both axles are secured with panels to protect axles and drivetrain against any dangerous objects (grass, rocks, etc)
• high ground clearance for both axles even with using planetary hubs
• L motors are connected to planetary hubs without any reduction – this provides both speed and necessary torque
• approach angle is 90 degrees, front and rear

More photos you can find HERE

Edited by keymaker

I really liked the external design of the axles with adjustable shocks and the openable doors of course! :wink: Thank you for making this Instruction free!

1. "L motors are connected to planetary hubs without any reduction". It seemed to me that something crunches when riding uphill under load? These are not planetary hubs, are they?
  2. In my experience, one BuWizz for 3 L-motors may not be enough. I noticed that if you connect more than two L-motors, the BuWizz can sometimes go into protection mode.
  3. Front and rear axles interchangeable? I noticed in the video that sometimes you have both axles turning, perhaps you can use 2 L-motors for the drive and two M-motors for the steering? This is a cool feature!
Edited by Igor1

22 minutes ago, Igor1 said:

These are not planetary hubs, are they?

Of course planetary hubs are not the source of the sound. It is sound of clutch in small LA :)

In case of 3xL motors and one Buwizz 2.0, yes, I experienced that in some extreme testing, when I almost blocked wheels, but Hornet is pretty light weight so it should not happen when standard, even hard off-roading is done.

In case of axles, their connection points are identical, so you can switch them as you like.

Edited by keymaker

@keymaker Thanks for calming me down, I didn't think about the actuator at all. :blush:

Yes, the question of the ratio of the mass of the MOC and its detailing is always very relevant. It's good that you managed to build a lightweight model without sacrificing its appearance. Although 1.55 kg is already a significant weight, if it were closer to two kilograms, this could already have a strong effect on functions.

Damn, I really really like your truck!

Edited by Igor1

You are a very generous and awesome person for providing the instructions for free. This chassis is very modular. And performance seems to be great! 
This is definitely a build i'm going to make next. 

@Mechbuilds thank you. I did it with hope, that some people will decide to build it and share their experience from testing it outdoors. I believe Hornet/Red Ant can proof itself as a capable and fun to drive off-road machine.

I am not really into trial vehicles, so I am rather really impressed by the way you "think ahead" your model, especially with the different steering & suspension modes and the removable body easy locking. In terms of performance, it seems really good at what it is designed for and it feels comfortable with any situation. Very well done, sir! :thumbup:

Edited by Celeri

42 minutes ago, frechettemj said:

What tires did you use on your crawler?

They are some noname tires I bought a while ago, but recently I find out, they can be based on Rock Crusher X/T 1.9" model.

@Celeri Thank you. I tried to reach more people by allowing using also more available and common short shock absorbers. Also the possibility to choose between "Power" and "Agile" makes the MOC more versatile in my opinion, more useful depends on situation you want to use it.

Edited by keymaker

6 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Thank you. I tried to reach more people by allowing using also more available and common short shock absorbers. Also the possibility to choose between "Power" and "Agile" makes the MOC more versatile in my opinion, more useful depends on situation you wan to use it.

I think your effort shows & delivers very well: I would have never thought someone would manage to make me read a crawler instructions from step 1 to final without getting bored.

About the power/agile modes, this is exactly the new Zetros set is lacking, in my opinion!

@Igor1 Wow, it is so nice to see that some one built it. I see that all you need are bumpers to lock the body :D Please share your photos on rebrickable site and if you have some opinions, please also share them (positive and negative of course). I wish to know what other people who actually built it and test it/played with it think about it.

2 hours ago, Igor1 said:

Finally got around to building this...

It looks great!

@keymaker Thanks for the nice model and free instructions! Really nice from you!

@keymaker Feedback and photos will definitely be after we have played enough with it. The assembly of the moc itself is not yet finished, but what I noticed is that the small linear actuator (92693c01) is missing in the parts list on the rebrickable. There are no other comments yet, everything is fine.

43 minutes ago, Igor1 said:

I noticed is that the small linear actuator (92693c01) is missing in the parts list on the rebrickable

Thank you, I fixed that.