SaperPL

Custom 3D printed truck wheel rim and steering arms for perfect pivot

I like that you kept the Lego shape instead of making a design more similar to real life trucks. Lego models must have a toy-like feeling in my opinion. Good job!

2 minutes ago, mpj said:

I like that you kept the Lego shape instead of making a design more similar to real life trucks. Lego models must have a toy-like feeling in my opinion. Good job!

Thanks, that's also something that I kept in mind that I'm trying to make it fit well with Lego design language/same aesthetic.

By the way, since I didn't cover it in the video - the 6 big holes are pin sockets so for example for double wheels you can connect them with pins if you want.

Your design is good.

There are those "mustang" wheels, which are close to these. The main issue in this scale is, that inner side is narrow, and there are issues to achieve good turning radius or good suspension travel, keeping that turning point in center of wheel.

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Your design is good.

There are those "mustang" wheels, which are close to these. The main issue in this scale is, that inner side is narrow, and there are issues to achieve good turning radius or good suspension travel, keeping that turning point in center of wheel.

Thanks. And yes, I know that there are issues coming with putting the pivot inside the wheel. I'm going to tinker with it over the weekend - that's obviously going to be a set of custom parts though, but I'll try to make them somewhat Lego-like if possible.

Amazing! Do you have any plans to do the same but for thin rims? This year we're getting a pair of Creator sets with new thin 49.5 tires which will perfectly fit to Technic trucks and your rims adopted for them may be amazing addition! 

6 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Amazing! Do you have any plans to do the same but for thin rims? This year we're getting a pair of Creator sets with new thin 49.5 tires which will perfectly fit to Technic trucks and your rims adopted for them may be amazing addition! 

slimming down the outer ring is not really a problem, so once I'm confident that the technological stuff is figured out, I'll make the 2 stud wide rim as well. I've got the original rims like this and smaller tires for testing, but I'm not sure when I'll be able the get the new tires from the transporter.

Anyway, here's my plan for the pivot:

OMeaR4ol.png

gVvT0lLl.png

78kbBxnl.png

I still got to design the steering link/rod before I can print it and test it out though

Yeah, there is always a problem not the suspension arms but steering rods which needs extra space... 

Steering rod is OK.

Those ares just for fixed connection, at least not for nice independent suspension

1 minute ago, Jurss said:

Steering rod is OK.

Those ares just for fixed connection, at least not for nice independent suspension

Yeah, it'd be pretty hard to have angled wishbone inside the wheel rim while also steering unless it is also a weird shaped one like the steering rod here.

This is something that is more likely to be used on a live axle or just a model without suspension like most of the truck sets with those tires.