Sign in to follow this  
deehtha

[TC20] 8855 Studless Prop Plane

I have been wanting to make a studless version of one of my first and favorite Technic sets for a while. TC20 is the perfect chance to try my hand at 8858 Prop Plane

8855iso.jpg

*This image was taken from Blackbird's Technicopedia*

My plan is to replicate the original as close to 1:1 as possible. If I have time, I want to add rudder and flaps control, and 2 control cluster behind the wings.

I started with a mockup of the body to get some dimensions

body_test.jpg

As you can see, I made the pontoons more realistic sized and added wing supports.

Pontoon details

pontoon_struts.jpg

Here is a side picture with the control stick placed and connected to elevators, and prop and engine. I went with a flat 4 instead of the upside single cylinder.

profile_with_engine.jpg

Here is a closeup of the front.

engine_detail.jpg

This contest is becoming better and better. Nice addition to the contest,  rudder and flaps control would be great. 

Some updates.

Closed up the top and bottom of the engine area.

final_front_detail.jpg

Added seats and the controls for ailerons.

profile_update.jpg

Mounted one of the wings. Despite the weight of the wing, the support keeps the flex to a minimum. I had a difficult time getting the 8 tooth gears to line up properly. so that the ailerons would droop slightly. In the end, I had to move the red connectors back a stud from where they are on the original.

wing.jpg

I am so happy someone is doing 8855. Looks great so far, and I look forward to your work. I like the red details, on all but the exhaust.  

I think I am finished. Mounted the second wing, and everything lines up correctly. And my Technician surprised me with a current pilot's license.

finished_iso.jpg

All the control surfaces from the original work.

controls_1.jpg

Awesome build, I somehow missed this one. I really like the engine and rotor details.